Grizzly Attack

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
We were hunting in Montana and talking to GW he said if we were going to hunt the Tom Miner Basin, if killing anything we'd have about 45 min to clean, load and leave before bears would be there. WE didn't hunt there!!!

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Terrible, may he rest in peace.

I wonder how anyone knew to look for him...was he able to call for help after the attack?

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
We were hunting in Montana and talking to GW he said if we were going to hunt the Tom Miner Basin, if killing anything we'd have about 45 min to clean, load and leave before bears would be there. WE didn't hunt there!!!

That area is where people go when they want to see a grizzly. It’s like their haven. The GW wasn’t exaggerating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gommer

FNG
They think the shot is a dinner bell!

RZMan

FNG
Do you not expect potential muggers to be lurking about in dark parking lots? And because of the possibility and reputation of muggers, do you avoid dark parking lots because of that? If you are afraid, you should avoid them. Stay far away and safe. If you aren't, then you know the risks and simply accept them and are prepared for that.

I'm paying big $$$ to get close to grizzly's. I have no illusions they are warm and fuzzy creatures and yes, I want the butt pucker experience but I do have an slight advantage. I have a rifle with the intent to kill an old boar. If he kills me in the process, I knew the risks and enjoyed all but the last few minutes of the hunt and would do it again....in another life.

Last edited:

cronsman

WKR
Man this kind of story makes me always wonder what actually would work to defend against a grizzly

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I kicked up a sub-adult grizzly cub while turkey hunting this weekend -- tall grass, was hiking up a steep steep slope downwind, he had his face in the dirt chewing through roots and green-up. He couldn't smell us coming up the hill and didn't hear us and I damn near stepped on him, probably fifteen feet away. He spun like a top and ran into the trees nearby where we assume mom was hanging out. We bugged out of there but generally assumed we were about to get chewed up along the way. Never saw him or the mom again.

I've spent time in grizzly country since I was 13 and all I can say is sometimes shit just happens. This was the end of a long day -- twelve miles of up and down -- and I remember distinctly thinking to myself "this is the sort of situation where you get chewed up if you're not careful." Sure enough, it could've been.

I can 100% imagine the moment this guy realized things were going south. I had maybe 1.5 seconds to recognize the bear and react if I had to and let me tell you that was not nearly enough time. Staying smart and aware is really the only thing you can to mitigate risk, like anything else in life.

fmyth

WKR

"Mock, 40, managed to call 911 following the mauling and was found by rescuers propped against a tree with the canister of bear spray in one hand, his father, Chuck Mock, told the Billings Gazette. His other hand had been “chomped off” as he tried to protect himself."