Grizzly attacks in SW Montana

Car7x

WKR
I'm a longtime MT landowner S of Ennis and in Bozeman, just got back (left the day after the triple attack on that Monday a couple weeks ago). Bozeman neighbor's friend had to donate his bull back up from Ennis lake to a Griz as well as the more widely reported incidents. Troubling that many of these attacks did not apparently even involve meat.

I had scouted the carcass closed area for this year's project but instead had to hunt N and S of there. I saw one griz up behind my cabin grubbing in an avalanche chute and smelled more throughout my hunts, black or Griz, not sure, and we saw what we think was a bear moving out thru the quakies one dawn.

Have never seen so much scat, tracks, and grubbed logs - lots of burn areas around. No archery elk hanging at Deemo's in the opening 2 weeks, bulls were pretty quiet and I only had one cow opportunity. I mainly hunt the Eastern, Madison valley drainages, most attacks seem to be on the Western, Ruby side. I hunted both sides last year, and there were several (2 Griz, one aggressive black) encounters within the group staying at the same outfitter (Broken Arrow Lodge - good outfit) opening archery week.

A FWP guy driving down Johnny Ridge as I climbed out of a drainage said they saw either 7 or 9 (I forget, lots of bear talk this year) in a 2 hour flyover - not the carcass kill zone.

I wouldn't want to live in a world without grizzlies, and don't want to be killed by or have to kill one. I'm like the rest of us experts, have an opinion. There should be a season, to get the numbers in line, in areas they present a threat or evidence of abundance.

I do question the frequently heard statement that hunting them will make them scared of humans; they aren't herd critters, after all. If I shoot Joe Griz over here I'm not sure Suzy Griz will get the memo over there.

Last edited:

Westy35

FNG
Dang. I'm moving to Bozeman here in the next few months - guess I'm going to have to up my awareness for bears. Not used to living in grizzly areas.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
Dang. I'm moving to Bozeman here in the next few months - guess I'm going to have to up my awareness for bears. Not used to living in grizzly areas.
You'll be ok -- a few trips into some grizz infested wilderness, and your awareness goes up nicely. I would be more concerned with the 'cougar risk' of Bozeman......stay away from Main Street on Friday nights between the hours of 9pm - midnight....

Westy35

FNG
You'll be ok -- a few trips into some grizz infested wilderness, and your awareness goes up nicely. I would be more concerned with the 'cougar risk' of Bozeman......stay away from Main Street on Friday nights between the hours of 9pm - midnight....

Hahaha. That’s hilarious. Luckily, I have an amazing wife who is excellent at helping me avoid cougar attacks.

Westy35

FNG
Thanks for posting. Glad he’s okay. Incidentally, we were mountain biking in Big Sky yesterday and rode right by the trails that are closed due to the last attack up there...

Crazy that the guy had bear spray on his chest strap and still didn’t have time or was able to get to it.

I’ve always heard mixed reviews on bells. Obviouslynot an option while hunting, but any thoughts on them for general recreating - hiking, biking, etc?

Tradchef

WKR
We get more attacks down this way every single year. They brought up having a limited season last year and it was shot down before it got anywhere. I’m hoping they’ll wake up and realize we need to do some management sooner rather than later.

AKSilent1

FNG
Good friend just texted me about some attacks in SW Montana. He's a solid source (has close friends and family there), but I checked the news, too. He said one was pretty bad. Be safe out there if you're chasing elk!

I recently helped a buddy recover a 8 foot brown bear, after a successful hunt. That was the first time seeing one up close. I have concluded that my 10mm pistol is grossly inadequate for protection. They are amazing beasts.

OXN939

WKR
Crazy that the guy had bear spray on his chest strap and still didn’t have time or was able to get to it.

Reinforces the adage that the sidearm or spray you're carrying is to save your buddy's life, not your own.

FLAK

WKR
When you see a Brown/Grizz up close you realize how woefully inadequate
your handgun (any handgun) is, though I still carry one.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for posting. Glad he’s okay. Incidentally, we were mountain biking in Big Sky yesterday and rode right by the trails that are closed due to the last attack up there...

I’ve always heard mixed reviews on bells. Obviouslynot an option while hunting, but any thoughts on them for general recreating - hiking, biking, etc?

You know how to tell the difference between black bear sh*t and griz sh*t?

Black bear sh*t is smaller and full of berries and fur. Griz sh*t is full of bells and smells like pepper.

I think of this joke every time I hear a tourist ringing his way down the trail with bear spray strapped to his waist. Personally I’d feel foolish hiking with bells but if it makes you feel safer, I say go for it

Bdjones

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted black bear for a week over in the area and seen more grizz then I did blacks. Heck even when we were hunting there an attack happened to a hiker at Henry's lake.
2ae28cffdee6b6c7ae7e343acbaf2eb9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk