Grizzly bear attack in Montana

FYI for those that may be out and about in grizz country.

f6837ea09e65b1d76bb06af8315e192d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
It was clearly *one* employee but the PR goes out of the way to refuse to say whether it was a man or woman and instead uses "they" and "their" instead of the pronouns that would make sense. I don't care which gender it is, it just sounds idiotic. End of grammar patrol rant.

ewade07

WKR
I hate goofy ass PC writers. Seriously, the bear spray worked?! Dude got munched....say that bear tackled and put that single bite across his face?
I call BS and put a bullet in that bears dome!
Do you think the outcome would have been Different if they had used a pistol or other weapon? What do you think the statistical likelihood is of hitting the bear “in the dome” at adrenaline is coursing through you with an apex predator bearing down on you?

The person didn’t get tackled and get bit across the face. So I’d say the bear spray worked. He/she is alive.

Rob5589

WKR
Is deploying the spray at 10 yds the norm? Seems a bear going full steam would run through that distance in a few bounds, before even feeling the effects of the spray. Glad to hear the injuries were minimal.

comitted

FNG
Is deploying the spray at 10 yds the norm? Seems a bear going full steam would run through that distance in a few bounds, before even feeling the effects of the spray. Glad to hear the injuries were minimal.
I think you are correct and 10 up to 30 yards is what those pepper sprays have for range I guess.

Beendare

WKR
How did the employee see the keypad of his phone after continuing to spray the bear?

Maybe we will see New advice on bear spray canisters;

Make sure the phone number for "Help there is a bear eating me" is the first number in your favorites list and you can punch it blindfolded.

This account sure highlights the fact that the FS folks do not want those bears shot....bear spray successful my ass!?

_____

Wapiti1

WKR
How did the employee see the keypad of his phone after continuing to spray the bear?

Maybe we will see New advice on bear spray canisters;

Make sure the phone number for "Help there is a bear eating me" is the first number in your favorites list and you can punch it blindfolded.

This account sure highlights the fact that the FS folks do not want those bears shot....bear spray successful my ass!?

_____

Siri.

I'm sure it went something like:

Siri! SIRI!!!!!

Big F'ing bear, face, eat, f&*k, call 911, or ambulance, f%^k me, can't see,

SIRI!! Did you get that? Bear eating my face, and it smells like cayenne peppers.

Get help!! Ambulance or helicopter, or superman, HELP!

Response from Siri: OK, this is what I found on the internet............

Jeremy

Another example of bear spray not working. Besides, who here has practiced with bear spray to determine its effectiveness? I usually shoot about 10,000 rounds and have a pretty good idea of how my bullets are going to act in flight. I gotta say, I feel better with my handgun in the backcountry.

However, I wonder what the regulations are for Montana FWS Seasonal employees carrying self defense gear. Maybe they are not allowed to carry a firearm?

HoneyDew

WKR
I’ve seen a F&G training vid on using bear spray and they say to wait until 10yrds and do a back and forth sweeping motion like a fire extinguisher. The reason for 10 yrds is there isn’t as much in the canister as you think, if they make it to 10 then it’s probably not a bluff charge, and you want them to hit a wall of spray not a dispersed mist. Also wind can foul it up so closer affords more control.

WCB

WKR
Do you think the outcome would have been Different if they had used a pistol or other weapon? What do you think the statistical likelihood is of hitting the bear “in the dome” at adrenaline is coursing through you with an apex predator bearing down on you?

The person didn’t get tackled and get bit across the face. So I’d say the bear spray worked. He/she is alive.
In this instance multiple hits on the bear could have been possible. Would you want to wait until a bear is two bounds away to spray or dump four or 5 good shots off from 30yds and in maybe farther. Or fire a warning shot over its head? There is zero way to tell either way but to state the spray worked is unsubstantiated. The bear closed the ground and bit the worker....absoluetly zero evidence the bear was effected by the spray.

j33

WKR
I just did a practice spray a few weeks back in windy conditions as I’ve never practiced like that.
Spray made it about 10ft, to be expected I guess