Grizzly bear attack in Montana

AKBorn

WKR
No worries. Just a friendly conversation.

Not a gun for dangerous game but I really like my shotgun. Thought about buying a rifled barrel and removing the recoil pad to reduce LOP. It has the mercury recoil reducer in the stock and I can really go through rounds with it. Used it for snow geese and have shot a pile of 3.5" shells with it.

Would be interesting to have it set up for dangerous game. Bought a Winchester 37 for turkey this year so won't need it for that anymore.

View attachment 200598

I loved my Benelli 12 Gauge pump gun, just sold it because it never made it out of the closet anymore. Looked great and felt great, altho I am still partial to the old Remington 870 pump that I had for many years back in the day.

HoneyDew

WKR
I loved my Benelli 12 Gauge pump gun, just sold it because it never made it out of the closet anymore. Looked great and felt great, altho I am still partial to the old Remington 870 pump that I had for many years back in the day.
I run my fathers Rem 870 pump. 40+ years with 1000+ shells each year. Works like new.

BluMtn

WKR

The second one is the most interesting. I know the place it happened.

I just did a practice spray a few weeks back in windy conditions as I’ve never practiced like that.
Spray made it about 10ft, to be expected I guess
Probaby end up getting as much spray as a bear in windy condtions, wont need pepper on your dinner that night!

Reactions: j33

Catchfish

WKR
I read today that the man that was killed up here in Alaska in Hope was found with an empty can of bear spray. I’ve never carried spray or tried it but it’s a one shot deal isn’t it?

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
I read today that the man that was killed up here in Alaska in Hope was found with an empty can of bear spray. I’ve never carried spray or tried it but it’s a one shot deal isn’t it?
Most canisters of bear spray last 5-10 seconds. The larger (10+ounces) cans could potentially be used to repel a bear twice. But then you're SOL . . . and bears are known to attack repeatedly as wounded hikers try to leave the scene.

I carry bear spray and a firearm because they're both useful, even away from grizzly country. If my firearm gets knocked away from me, I have a backup. If the bear spray runs out or fails to discharge, I have a firearm. It's good to have a nonlethal option. For example, I wouldn't want to kill a person or even some rancher's dog if I didn't have to. Likewise, If a bear has a hold of my leg or my friend, perhaps spraying the bear in the face is less dangerous than discharging a gun. But when lethal action is justified, there's no alternative. So I carry both.

Best defense: travel with a buddy. Stay out of heavy brush/low visibility areas when possible. Carry your firearm or bear spray in hand when you are in heavy brush.
Use some form of nighttime deterrence (electric fence, critter gitter). Both you and your buddy should carry 1 or more method of bear defense, 1 or more method of emergency communication, and be prepared to treat severe bleeding and shelter in place unexpectedly.