Grizzly bear is finished and back home!

OP
6mm Remington
WOW!!!! I love the last photo of your new "wallpaper!"
Great looking rug for sure.
That's an 8 foot wall and the claws touch up on the top. In looking I see he is angled just a touch and even accounting for that his lower claws are only about 4 inches above the floor. A close fit!
Thank you so much. I may or may not have had some moisture leaking down my cheeks when I picked him up. He's so pretty. I never got to see him in all his glory. He was soaking wet as was I and the colors you could see he was pretty.........but holy wow! The taxidermist did a great job on him.

The claws are as long as my middle finger too.

Last edited:
OP
6mm Remington
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you didn't take him with a rifle in your screen name's caliber.
That's funny and no I didn't. I don't think the guide or the outfitter would have been too keen on the idea!

My father told me before he passed in 2012 that he had $3000.00 set aside for me and he said that he Did Not want me to spend it on bills or my family. He made me promise to do something nice for myself since I never do. He did not care how I used it as long as it went for me and something I really wanted to do or wanted. Dad suggested a custom built rifle as I had talked about that too.

It took 5 years before I finally pulled the TRIGGER and had a rifle built. I found a Winchester Model 70 classic sporter in great shape chambered in 270 Winchester. I bought it and took it to my gunsmith and had him work the magic. The rifle turned out amazing.

John Norell Arms Molly Resin coating on the acton and barrel.
24" standard contour Shilen Match grade stainless barrel 1-9 twist. Chambered for 280 AI.
He worked the trigger and has it breaking clean at 2.5 pounds.
Pillar & glass bedded.
Leupold 4.5-14x40mm scope with the B&C reticle.
140 gr. Nosler Accubond - load I worked up for the rifle.

1598793994381.png

Last edited:

Mt Al

WKR
Great bear and from the looks of your trophy room not your first! Congrats and great story about the rifle and your father wanting something for you.

OP
6mm Remington
Great bear and from the looks of your trophy room not your first! Congrats and great story about the rifle and your father wanting something for you.
The pictures with the bear laying on the floor are actually the studio at the taxidermists shop when I picked him up. Over the years I've been extremely lucky to get to hunt on my own with family and friends quite a bit. I never ever thought I would get this chance to go to Alaska. I had been wanting to hunt a grizzly bear since I was about 10 years old reading outdoor life and other magazines. When I retired in 2017 my wife asked me if I wanted to sell my 2004 Ford F150 and get a new to me pickup that might be 2-3 years old, or to go on a special hunt. I answered that one immediately and said I want to go on a special hunt. No hesitation! I'll drive my old Ford until the end probably for the both of us quite a few years down the road. :)

This was my first guided hunt ever and most likely my last. Not that I would not love to go on a guided hunt again, but it costs a lot of coin! Now having said that this trip was worth every single penny and then some.

Last edited:

Mt Al

WKR
The pictures with the bear laying on the floor are actually the studio at the taxidermists shop when I picked him up. Over the years I've been extremely lucky to get to hunt on my own with family and friends quite a bit. I never ever thought I would get this chance to go to Alaska. I had been wanting to hunt a grizzly bear since I was about 10 years old reading outdoor life and other magazines. When I retired in 2017 my wife asked me if I wanted to sell my 2004 Ford F150 and get a new to me pickup that might be 2-3 years old, or to go on a special hunt. I answered that one immediately and said I want to go on a special hunt. No hesitation! I'll drive my old Ford until the end probably for the both of us quite a few years down the road. :)

This was my first guided hunt ever and most likely my last. Not that I would not love to go on a guided hunt again, but it costs a lot of coin! No having said that this trip was worth every single penny and then some.

OK! I was thinking you were the Bear God with that picture!

Never been on a guided hunt either but hoping to as well for grizzly, ibex or others that I can't get DIY. Congratulations!

OP
6mm Remington
OK! I was thinking you were the Bear God with that picture!

Never been on a guided hunt either but hoping to as well for grizzly, ibex or others that I can't get DIY. Congratulations!
Thanks and I hope you are able to make it happen. You WILL NOT regret it one bit!

Ovis Outfitters - Matt & Emily Thoft. Great folks and great outfit.

Salmonchaser could also turn you onto a couple good outfitters he knows also.

SLA

FNG
Saw the write up in Western Hunter magazine, great job!
Happy for you being able to do something for yourself as grand as this adventure was!

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
Okay, okay...

I'll congratulate you here too, not just on the phone! ;)

It really is a wonderful bear rug, and wow, what a great hunt you had!

Guy

Warrior27

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on an awesome grizzly, the story about your late father and your customized rifle is even better. That’s what hunting is all about!!!