Grizzly Ears while hunting elk?

Hey All,

I went down the rabbit hole known as suppressors and they’re awesome! However, the extra length and weight it adds to rifles makes it less than ideal while hunting elk in thick areas (openings of no more than a hundred yards).

Has anyone used Grizzly ears or similar while hunting? I mean all day hunting, not just when you go to take the shot? Reason I’m asking is because shots can be too quick to have time to put plugs into your ears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey All,

I went down the rabbit hole known as suppressors and they’re awesome! However, the extra length and weight it adds to rifles makes it less than ideal while hunting elk in thick areas (openings of no more than a hundred yards).

Has anyone used Grizzly ears or similar while hunting? I mean all day hunting, not just when you go to take the shot? Reason I’m asking is because shots can be too quick to have time to put plugs into your ears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just carry foam plugs, the kind that mount on a plastic horseshoe. They only take three or four seconds to insert. I've realized if I'm hunting properly 90-95% of shots should be shots I have time to prepare for. It's a byproduct mostly bowhunting these days. But if the animal is alerted, it's already won in my mind. I'll risk taking a single shot without hearing protection every few years on an animal I bump in the timber.

I do really like the Walker electronic muffs for bird hunting though. I just can't get them to work with a stetson when I'm rifle hunting.

kloppy

FNG
I switch between banded plugs and Otto Noizebarriers. Both work fine depending on the situation. I have never elk hunted with the Otto's but I wear them for turkeys which is not unlike elk hunting. I pop them in any time I hear a gobble or when I am approaching a spot that looks turkey-ish.

CoStick

WKR
I have Ottos this year, previously used the foam around my neck. If I don’t have time to put in ear protection I am probably better off skipping the shot. Really impressed with the ottos though and will be elk hunting with them.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
Been using the Otto Noizebarriers for the past two seasons. I really like them. Always had foam ear plugs in my pockets...where they'd remain until after I took my shot and then thought, damn, those earplugs would have been really useful if they were in my ears.