Grizzly Kills Bull Elk In the Yellowstone River, Hayden Valley, Sept.18 ,2020

wyosteve

WKR
If you watch closely, when the bull is being 'rolled over' in the river, one of its back legs is broken as someone mentioned.

Stickbow

FNG
The part where the Bull realizes he can't escape, and turns and brings down his antlers gives me chills. Love this video.

Nature is brutal. Predation, starvation are the top ways elk die. If those were my options I'd take the arrow or bullet through the vitals all day long! To me this is one of the strongest arguments for the ethic of hunting.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The grizzly could have ran the elk to exhaustion as well, the elk looked pretty spent and it is will within the bears ability.

Bobbyboe

WKR
I was amazed how quickly the elk drown. From the first time its head went under the water until he stopped moving was 13 seconds. WOW.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Damn... when they floated into deeper water, that bear looked like a log roller at the old logging days. Live is cruel and no mercy shown in the wild. Pretty impressive footage!
Mike

njdoxie

WKR
Yep, it’s the law of the jungle, might makes right, screw everything else, period...or die yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bearshirt

FNG
Kinda disappointed in the amount of fight the bull gave. Seemed like he gave up pretty easy. I wonder if he was wounded.

slatty

WKR
I will just echo all the sentiments above.
Man that was a little hard to watch. I think the bull was rut crazed and injured and just didn't really see that one coming. Gotta admire that bear's determination it earned that meal for sure.
I'm actually reading a lewis and clark biography right now and in the days of grizzlies not fearing humans, basically their strategy was either shoot it, and if it still was running at you, go into the river for safety (they were traveling up the missouri and were basically always by the river). I think a human would escape in the water with a little more intensity than that bull, he didn't seem too worried about the threat. Two very impressive animals doing their thing.

AndyB

WKR
You can see as the Bull is walking into the water that its right rear leg is snapped, you can also see it as someone else mentioned when the Griz rolls it in the water. Shows how tuff Elk are to have stood and fought as it did.

In another outlet I saw the video slowed down and the elk clearly has a broken rear leg, it was also stated that it appeared to have a puncture wound. So I'm guessing the grizzly had a pretty good idea he was going to get lunch one way or another! Both fascinating and difficult to watch all at the same time.