Grommets in Tyvek?

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
I'm trying to lose a couple pounds for an upcoming elk hunt by ditching my tent (REI Quarter Dome 1, 2.9 pounds with footprint) and using a bivy (1.2 pounds) with Tyvek ground cloth. I thought about putting 4, 6, or 8 grommets in the Tyvek to make it more usable in case of rain.

Anyone try this? Would I be better off just wrapping and typing the corners with paracord temporarily? I can't imagine the grommets would add more than an ounce or two at most.

amp713

WKR
Another guy on here made a shelter out if it if I remember right. I believe he wrapped the corners with duct tape and grommeted through that to add some extra strength to the corners

OP
mireland62887

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
Another guy on here made a shelter out if it if I remember right. I believe he wrapped the corners with duct tape and grommeted through that to add some extra strength to the corners

I searched first and found that. I like the tape idea, but I've never used Tyvek and am wondering if that would decrease its strength but punching holes in it.

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
I would think it would rip out. If you want something like that I would go with Cuben, but it is expensive.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

530Chukar

WKR
I’ve used the plastic grommets you can buy at the hardware store for other materials and they worked decent and just snap into place. Cheap and worth a try. A few years ago before I built my shelter I used a large piece of tyvek and small rocks the size of golf balls. I would wrap the rock with tyvek from one side and then use paracord with a slip not around it from the other side and then run the cord to a stake or tree depending on what I was doing. It worked well and didn’t require any sewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've put metal grommets in Tyvek and it's easy. I cut my tarp size and lay it out on the garage floor. Fold an edge of the tarp 1.5" and tape it using Tyvek brand tape...basically creating a doubled-over edge for the tarp. Do that x 4 sides (edges) and you've doubled the fabric strength there. After and folding and taping all edges you can seat the grommets wherever you want them.

Depending upon whether the tarp needs to survive in harder winds or will be subjected to taut stretches, a guy might simply use pieces of Tyvek tape to reinforce the grommet areas. In that case I would cut 6" pieces of tape and fold them around the tarp edge in the grommet area. Put the grommet through 2 layers of tape + the Tyvek. I specifically use Tyvek tape because it is very strong and has much better adhesion over time versus most other tapes. It's made to stick to Tyvek and it does exactly that.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I hope you have good weather on your hunt. Being weathered in in a bivy would suck. Tyvek isn't the lightest material around. I have a footprint made out of it for a Copper Spur HV 2, and it is double the weight of the factory footprint.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
mireland62887

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
I cut it down to 8X5. That should be enough room for my sleep set up plus my pack and gear.

I ended up taping the corners and adding a grommet in each. Seems secure enough to stake or tie down if needed, but doubt it will hold in a huge wind. I'll probably use rocks in the corners then.

I think the whole set up is around 6 ounces. I kept trimming and weighing and forget what the final weight was. I also ended up with some extra material that I'll save for another project, or even a smaller ground cover to throw meat on when butchering and animal in the field. Would be good to keep for day hikes.

It's not light, but not terribly heavy for the amount of real estate I'll have.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, I probably wouldn't grommet Tyvek....but for sure you want to sew in reinforcements or use the tape Kevin mention that is designed for Tyvek. I would probably just tape in some grosgrain loops.

I can tell you that tape will deteriorate over time from outdoor exposure in the sun...but not as quickly as duct tape.

*zap*

WKR
I think the SO ground tarp may be a good option and an old tent footprint may also be a good option.

Last edited:
Another simple thing I've done with Tyvek:

Use paracord to make a knotted circular loop about 4" across (diameter).
Cut an 8" long piece of Tyvek tape.
Stick 1/2 (4") of the tape to the edge or corner of the Tyvek piece.
Drop the paracord loop over the other end of the tape, against the tarp edge.
Fold the tape over and press it to the tarp.

Basically it comes down to a paracord loop taped to the edge of the tarp in key locations. No grommet setting required. The tape and paracord is strong enough to use for general tying-out purposes. As for grommets, I'd only go that route if I was making a tarp for long term or heavier use.

Head to your local sign shop. They will have a heavy duty grommet setter and a heavy duty tape that backs fabrics for grommets. They’ll probably to it for cheaper than cheap.