ground blind question

jls

FNG
I have never had the need to hunt from a ground blinds before, but now I need to buy 1 that will hunt 2 grown men. Can anyone recommend a blind that would be roomy and comfortable enough for 2 people to hunt from?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Shrek

WKR
I am using the ghost blind and it really works ! Week before last I shot a a 4 1/2 year old whitetail buck at 12 yards and he had no idea there was anything up. Looked right at me and I was not there to him. You would need two blinds and set them up together for two guys . It looks like a gimmik and you feel exposed but if it is in front of the blind it will have no idea you are there. I don't often hunt from the ground but will do it more on the future with this blind.

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the Ghost blind comment. I have really been looking at one of those and I think I am going to have to get one before Kansas rifle season opener.

Shrek

WKR
If you get on I would get the carry bag with it. They are not real tuff and the bag makes it much easier to carry and take care of.

Double Bull Dark Horse. I own two of them and they are plenty big for two grown men...

attachment.php

Heck, we had Aron, buddy Dan and myself all in one last spring, no issues.

attachment.php

Shrek

WKR
Double Bull Dark Horse. I own two of them and they are plenty big for two grown men...

attachment.php

Heck, we had Aron, buddy Dan and myself all in one last spring, no issues.

attachment.php
The blind I'm talking about is not a tent blind. The blind Iam hinto.g is a mirror blind.

The blind I'm talking about is not a tent blind. The blind Iam hinto.g is a mirror blind.

Yeah, that is cool, I was just giving him another option. I have seen the ghost blind, it's not for me, but I am sure it has it could fit other people's needs.

Shrek

WKR
Nick , if you have not tried one you should borrow one and try it. If my friend had not got one and let me try it I would not have believed it would work.

Post up some photos if you have some, would love to see what it looks like other than what the website has.

Ground hunting animals is such a rush, I have taken several deer from the ground, but last year we took two bears from ground blinds, one at about 5 yards and then Aron's at about 10. It was a blast to be at eye level with them! If you have not hunted from a ground blind, you must try it!

Shrek

WKR
That part about being at eye level is so true. I don't have any pictures right now and the blind is up at camp but... I am going again the weekend after this and will do my best to remember to take some. A big mature buck in hard hunted south Georgia is one smart animal ! To have him look right through me at 12 yards and not register anything is awsome. I was looking for him to come out 80 yards down the lane. The deer get hunted from Sept 10 to Jan. 15 down here.By November the big bucks are super spooky.

Last edited:
OP
J

jls

FNG
The double bull blind is the type of blind I had in mind, a little more than my budget allows though. I am needing to keep it under $200. Nice to know that 2 guys can comfortably hunt from a blind that size.

The ghost blind is an interesting piece of gear. I have an old waterfowling book at home somewhere that shows some Chesapeake Bay goose hunters hiding behind mirrors, the old boys really piled up the birds in those days. I would like to try a blind like that someday.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Last edited:
The double bull may be costly, but their customer service is great! I had a bear tear up one of my blinds and they sent me all the replacement parts needed to fix it for free. I will have these blinds for the rest of my life... If you watch the deals, you can get them for about 200$. I did not pay full price for either of mine. Just look around. They can easily support two people.. We had three people plus video gear in it.

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple Gorilla LX5 blinds. They're very roomy - 7' across and 6' tall. They're not as expensive as the Double Bull (which is an awesome blind), but they're still good blinds. I've been using them for 3 and 4 years, and I leave them set up and out from October until January here in the heat, cold, sun and wind in Texas. Last year, I did have to get some replacement grommett clips after some of the loops for the stakes broke. And I replaced the tie-down cords with stronger stuff as well. Not bad though, considering that they'd been sitting out a full 12 months by that time. They're not quite as sturdy as the Double Bull, but they're not flimsy either. http://dev.gorillablinds.com/cms/content/lx5-blind

I have 3 or 4 of the smaller AX5 blinds by Gorilla too. They're great for one person, but cramped for two - especially if you're bow hunting. Not bad if you're rifle hunting. Just make sure you get the muzzle out the window before firing a rifle, or at least wear ear protection. If you fire a rifle inside the blind, it will hurt your ears.

I mostly bow hunt and mostly hunt out of pop-ups when I'm bow hunting, because here in the West Texas mesquite there just aren't any trees tall and thick enough for tree stand hunting. A couple of tips for using them....

The shoot through mesh is great. It helps conceal you and your movement. Shooting through it is no problem, just make sure the mesh is tight. Don't open up more than 180 degrees of windows. Less is better. You don't want a deer to be able to see all the way through the blind. They'll see you moving around if there are open windows in front of and behind you. Early morning and late evening sun glares on the camo mesh and can make it hard to see through sometimes.

Sunset%20Bucks%2010-16-2010-002-L.jpg

I paint my mesh and window flaps with flat black spray paint. That solves two problems.... It greatly reduces glare from the sun, and it also gets the deer accustomed to seeing a black spot on the blind. If you ever want to hunt with the mesh down, like if you're rifle hunting or you want to use a mechanical broadhead, then opening the window flap and taking the mesh down leaves a black hole in the blind. Deer usually don't like that if they walk up and the hole hasn't been there before. But if you paint the windows black, they get used to it. Then when you open the windows, they don't pay any attention to it at all.

Be sure you remove all the vegetation and rocks and anything else that could be noisy from inside the blind. If you're bowhunting, you'll be very close to the deer. So keep everything as quiet as possible, obviously.

If you're not leaving the blind up for long periods of time, then you need to brush it in and conceal it completely. If you're leaving it up for a long time, then it's not as critical. They'll get used to it after a few days. But if you are going to hunt from the blind the same day or next day after you set it up, you want it to be hidden.

My son took his first archery deer out of this blind about 2 hours after we set it up. Cedar/juniper bushes are great for concealing a blind.

IMG_7681-L.jpg

IMG_7710-L.jpg

IMG_7719-L.jpg

You can get surprisingly good photos and video through the mesh as well.

Sunset%20Bucks%2010-16-2010-029-L.jpg

Sunset%20Bucks%2010-16-2010-037-L.jpg

Another option is to just build a natural ground blind. Here, my son and I found a good spot between a couple of mesquite trees, and we built a frame from dead limbs and then piled on tumbleweeds and broomweed for cover. Worked great.

IMG_7659-L.jpg