Ground Blind Tips

LostArra

WKR
Make sure there is no light leaking in behind you from a window or "door"

Be prepared for every deer sound to come from behind you, an armadillo can sound like a bear

Hidden Hunter blind works well with traditional bows

During early season when entering in predawn darkness be sure to scan the floor well. even a small snake can be alarming

in general I don't like blinds. It feels like solitary confinement with a picture of the outdoors on the wall but with my hunting skills they are necessary for turkeys

barrister

WKR
in general I don't like blinds. It feels like solitary confinement with a picture of the outdoors on the wall but with my hunting skills they are necessary for turkeys[/QUOTE]

That part above is funny and a great description of the negative side of using a blind versus a tree stand. I definitely agree!

For me, besides usage where there are no good trees, I place ground blinds for hunting in bad weather and when I’m short on time. It’s just easy to get there, unzip the door, sit down and start hunting.

This is a good thread!

kodiakfly

WKR
Great tips so far

Dark clothes, dark camo, face mask/face paint

This is a good tip. A lot of people think you’re hidden in a blind but deer can still pick you off, even in low light. I hunt blinds some in ND, with its shortage of trees and they do work well but still have to be camouflaged some inside them- hands and face being the biggest culprits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure to find a good blind that will fit with your surroundings! There are plenty of camos out there. Also make sure to take it down at the end of the season! That summer sun will sometimes fade out the Camo!

Deanbow

FNG
Make sure you install a center pole in your blind for the early season snowfall

FoxLSX

FNG
I don't really like deer hunting from a blind, mostly because I always feel like I'm missing what's behind me. That being said there's time in the late season I wish I had some shelter. Definitely agree with some sort of center support, I had a blind get annihilated the first year I tried one.

Barrister, this is off topic, but I'm a new member and can't post to classifieds. I'm interested in your 4.5x14 Leupold that you listed.

Rich M

WKR
I've hunted from blinds and shooting houses but have found it more fun to sit on a dove stool, back against a tree and shoot em from there.

Most of my ground hunting is on hot sign - go out - find hot sign - set up and hunt it.

Would be a great way to hunt a crossing, feeder, or food plot tho.

I have used snags and downed trees on the edges of clearings with great success in Idaho. I just climb in between down branches along the trunk and snip off firing lanes. The cuttings are woven into other branches outside the firing lanes. I then keep movements slow and to a minimum and have not ever had any issues firing my rifle. I basically am just concealed within a natural item the deer have been around all the time.

MTSabo

WKR
Id keep in mind if there are other hunters in the area (public land or close to property line) and you have a well brushed in blind they may not see you. A lot of jack wagons out there that empty rifles at movement or deer that may be close to your blind.

Id keep in mind if there are other hunters in the area (public land or close to property line) and you have a well brushed in blind they may not see you. A lot of jack wagons out there that empty rifles at movement or deer that may be close to your blind.

Coming across other hunters where I am is very rare, but I do wear a blaze fleece beanie just in case. That same thought came to me the first time I burrowed into my spot. Thanks !

Its taken me a few years to get used to hunting in a blind. I can take a couple hours in the morning and evening but I cant hack being in the black hole all day. They are not idea for the ultimate outdoor experience but I complain less about them if its cold , windy and drizzling. Don't hurt to have a comfortable chair.

drose

FNG
Beginner here as well, still learning, but started with a homemade ground blind, just some tree stakes and ziptied camo netting, which I realized that I need some better camo netting, mine is close to see through, but I thought it looked good hahah. Just stake it in the ground and a small stool to sit on. Have had some awesome close encounters with deer this past season (does and spikes) without them getting spooked (the art of sitting still, is tough!) Easy for public land set ups.
Highly recommend a comfy seat as stated above and some face cover. This year now that I have some established spots I will spend some time brushing my spots in with fallen limbs and such.
I will say that there were a few times were I thought that if I was in a tree I could have easily killed my first deer. Saving up for a saddle or tree stand.
Depending on the environment, it might be tough to see far (majority of my setups had a 20 yard line of sight - thick pine woods) This can be good or bad, they cant see you that well but man they come out of thin air so be ready!
Good luck!

Tanner.L5

FNG
Double Bull is what I always hunted out of. Had plenty of up close and personal hunts with them. One time in specific had a group of Javelina’s come in about 12 yards away and fought down in south Texas before I got a shot off on one of them.

Rod in SC

FNG
Brush in if you expect to hunt from it first couple weeks. After a few weeks doesn't seem to matter much but I always worry they'll be a bug non resident buck come by and spook on it so I brush them all in very very good. I even use the screens
BIG TIP: when using screen lightly spray black or brown paint in the inside of the screen. That will greatly reduce glare from your side of the screen and allow you to see better in low light and when the suns is shiny in your face. Will still reflect on the deers side of the screen if you don't over spray