Ground Blind Tips

I'm new to hunting whitetails and I know most people prefer to get up in a tree.

I'm wondering how many people have brushed in a ground blind and what kind of success people see with that strategy? Are there any good resources or "must do" tips for finding/constructing a good natural ground blind?

I have utilized ground blinds quite regularly when a tree stand is not practical. Over the past few years there are some things that I have learned the hard way when using a blind. Make sure to get the blind build or set up ahead of time and get the deer used to it. I have found that is way more important than brushing it in or making it air tight. Also I would invest in a decent ground blind chair that is comfortable and swivels. That will keep you in the blind longer and make the shots a lot easier. I found a nice chair at Cabelas on sale for like 50 bucks and it is worth its weight in gold.

OK_hunter

FNG
I prefer hunting off the ground. I find it is really easy to find a natural feature like a fallen tree, tall grass, or even a cedar tree and use that as the blind. Just add a little brush to cover the sides and stay still. As long as you have the wind they will never know you are there. If the backside of the blind is not already covered by a natural feature I don't bother covering it as I usually have the wind blowing that way. If on public land I try not to cut any branches, and tear down the blind when done so the spot is not obvious to the next guy.

I have never hunted in a tree, granted the only place I’ve hunted WT’s here in TX in brush country where the biggest trees are mesquites that aren’t more than 10 ft to the top of the canopy. I hunt out of brush blinds and pop-ups that are brushed in. When selecting a spot for your set up, first and foremost consider wind because they will pick you off with their nose long before they see you if the wind is blowing anywhere near their direction. Second most important, learned the hard way (just like Midwesterner00) is getting your blind built/put up ahead of time so the deer have time to get used to it. Other than those 2 things, not much else.

fatlander

WKR
I with everything that has been said, but I’ll also add to not over hunt it. I find myself over hunting ground blinds more than tree stands. Mostly because I have a lot more stands than ground blinds and I’d rather hunt a blind in the rain. This past year was the wettest year we’ve ever had, so I think that had a lot to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on a decent chair.

Store bought enclosed blinds are the bees knees for concealment. The soft side ones are quiet and let you get away with a lot of movement. You lose some visibility and awareness of your surroundings but set up in the right place they work. Hard side blinds take that to the next level.

Home made blinds are great. Depending on whether you are hunting gun or rifle, work your shooting lanes. A bit of trimming can make a big difference in shot windows. As mentioned above, it is best to do this work long before you hunt the blind to get deer used to any disturbence.

HiRidge

FNG
Best tip I can give is if your using a hub style pop up blind is to have a piece of PVC pipe or something else that's sturdy to place from the ground to the ceiling when the blind is unoccupied. Had one last year tore to pieces by and unexpected heavy snow. The roof hub collapsed then all the snow accumulated on it until most of the rods broke and the fabric shredded. I believe if I had supported the center hub the snow would have eventually slid off and my blind would have survived.

OP
sjackson6715
Man. Awesome information here guys. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

I was thinking more of a natural blind made of available materials but many have made good points about store bought blinds. Would it be as imperative with both types to get it set up in advance or is this only important store bought type?

Man. Awesome information here guys. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

I was thinking more of a natural blind made of available materials but many have made good points about store bought blinds. Would it be as imperative with both types to get it set up in advance or is this only important store bought type?

M’eh. I think if you are going after some savvy buck on his home turf there is a good chance he may notice and be wary of a giant pile of brush that shows up on one of his travel corridors one day. It might not be enough to spook him but it will make them cautious. I have seen deer skirt around things they don’t like on their path. Not as much of a rifle issue as it is for bow.

I have rolled with a Walmart camo net on a string that I use as an expedient blind. I rig it between trees with 2-3 lines for bow hunting and mobile ambush. It works fine to block deer vision and screen me while I draw my bow. I have had deer as close as 10 feet and turkeys closer without being seen. You hav to stay still and they won’t help sound or smell but they work. It has actually become my favorite way to hunt but I think the chances of getting some smart old trophy buck that way are next to nil. Lots of does, spikes and forkies, which are all fat, dumb and tasty.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
If you are bow hunting, make sure your arrow will clear the window. Just because your sight picture is clear, doesn't mean the path of the arrow is clear. I learned this the hard way.

F250

FNG
I set up my tents at least a month before the season opens. Deer will become accustomed to it being there without brushing it. Great idea about a center support rod in place when leaving the tent !!

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
- Comfy seat that you can easily draw your bow or setup for a shot with firearm/xbow. Also a second chair to put your pack and other necessities without having to bend over.
- Bow or Gun holder
- PVC pipe or some sort of tent stake that you can leave in the center to prevent heavy rain or snow collapsing the blind.
- rake all the leaves and brush away from area that the blind with be sitting, some of my friends even use an indoor/outdoor carpet for the floor of their blinds.
- Do not over brush, use the area around the blind to camo it vs putting extra brush on it. I like to set mine in the canopy of a fallen tree and trim the limbs to tuck the blind in as much as possible.
- Use solid stakes and guidelines to ensure your expensive investment doesnt turn into tumbleweed
- I have used them in turkey season for archery and youth hunts, bring bug spray and be ready to use it. Wasps, yellowjackets, hornets, bees, spiders, etc seem to love them. Also check thoroughly with your headlamp around the corners before removing the window covers, they love the corners.
- Set up more in advance that you think you should
- If you are going to buy a new blind, stay away from velcro window and window covers. They are just so noisy and a couple of companies make much better alternatives.
- Be prepared to replace every few years. I rarely get more than a handful of years out of mine before the fabric tears or the weather collapses the roof or side causing the tent poles to snap.

Last edited:

mikemcgivern

Lil-Rokslider
I have had luck with the blind. It does take some time for deer to acclimate to it being there so get it out ahead of time. Also dont make the mistake I did and the bump your stabilizer on the front window! I have nightmares about the 10 point I spooked due to this!

In my experience its best to get it out well before you plan on hunting it. Once they get comfortable they walk right by without paying attention.

Mow1954

WKR
If you bowhunt get one larger than you think you will need, and practice shooting from it. Sit as far back away from window as you can

barrister

WKR
Really good advice here. Definitely agree with the familiarity of a blind in the wilderness setting being more important than brushing it in.

Also can confirm that the hub style blinds have a design defect when it comes to accumulation of snow/water/ice on the roof. My first one didn't last one season. Contrary to that, my cheaper Doghouse blinds with more pitched roofs and the bent tent poles supporting the roof, have lasted multiple seasons.

Finally, minimize your open wndows as much as possible. Just because there is a window, doesn't mean to open it all the way or at all. Really study your most likely shooting lanes and orient the blind so the smallest open windows will cover those shooting lanes. At ground level, my experience is the big bucks will pick up the slightest off details. Maybe not the does or the young bucks, but definitely the older ones!

I personally prefer a tree stand over ground blinds because of two things; being at ground level with a deer when the wind isn't blowing is hard to do anything, and the blind will block a lot of light for your bow sight during the last few minutes. Just my two cents

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
If you bowhunt get one larger than you think you will need, and practice shooting from it. Sit as far back away from window as you can
This is good advice when I first started hunting out of ground blinds I used one of those small doghouse blinds that were way too small for bowhunting. The first time I took a practice shot out of it I smoked the bottom cam off of the inside of my knee because I was in an awkward position to take a shot. Now I hunt out of two person blinds on the ground with plenty of room.

RedMule

FNG
gotta pay attention the whole time while on ground, can happen fast. leave phone in pack.