Ground blinds

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Hey there! I am a somewhat experienced whitetail hunter but always from a ladder stand. I am looking into hunting from a ground blind for concealment, scent control, and heat or what’s left of it. Looking for suggestions on brand or model of blind and other tips regarding whitetails from a ground blind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure you have a good battery in your sight light if they’re legal in your area. It’s darker in the blind than outside. My buddy didn’t get a shot at last light this year because he couldn’t see his pins while archery hunting.

I run a couple primos double bull blinds. I like them ok, but I’d still prefer a stand unless my daughter is with me.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I can’t help with equipment input, but I’d try one out of you can, as there are differences. In addition to the benefits you mention, you can get away with a lot more movement - BUT a ground (or elevated box) blind has a different feel. I sometimes miss the open feeling of the ladder stand. I like them both, but on some days or under certain circumstances, I really prefer one over the other.

Is it going to snow while your blind is setup? If so, it will collapse most of the cheaper ones…and many of the not cheap ones without taking precautions.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Is it going to snow while your blind is setup? If so, it will collapse most of the cheaper ones…and many of the not cheap ones without taking precautions.

It is likely to snow on the blind, do you know any that can handle this?

Txhunter85

Lil-Rokslider

They sell poles that go in the center of the pop up to prevent this. Cheap or expensive they will all collapse under enough weight. Put the pole up when you leave the blind and take it down when your hunting

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
They sell poles that go in the center of the pop up to prevent this. Cheap or expensive they will all collapse under enough weight. Put the pole up when you leave the blind and take it down when your hunting

Thanks for the idea, i’ll look into those

WCB

WKR
I have had zero issues with the Double Bulls. The older/originals were definitely built tougher than the newer ones but have 3 of the new ones and zero issues. I stay away from the cheap nylon ones as I am stuffing them in bushes/brush a lot and have tore/ripped more than one. Also the Primos blinds that you can see through are really nice for visibility...The one down fall of ground blinds is I can't stand not being able to see all around me.

You will experience a learning curve with them as far as when to brush them in and when to just leave them exposed etc.

LostArra

WKR
The one down fall of ground blinds is I can't stand not being able to see all around me.
+1 Every deer sound will be behind you.

In a ground blind I feel like I'm in solitary confinement with a picture of the outdoors on one wall but blinds can be deadly.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
+1 Every deer sound will be behind you.

In a ground blind I feel like I'm in solitary confinement with a picture of the outdoors on one wall but blinds can be deadly.
This is what I was trying to say in post #5, but you did it better. My only addition is that every "deer sound" that is behind you will be a squirrel trying to hop to mimic the sound of a deer walking. :)

Titan_Bow

WKR
My Double Bull gets used some during rifle season, but I have never really had much luck with deer in close with it. They seem to come unglued inside 30 yards or so unless the blind is really really brushed in well.
I hunt on the ground a lot and I find it’s more effective to simply set up using available cover and make a quick makeshift blind.

I carry a good pair of pruning shears and a little folding saw to make quick setups. I also use my backpack to hold branches for cover which works well.

8bfc21bbf6d006171fede6d70f6ca1a6.jpg

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
My Double Bull gets used some during rifle season, but I have never really had much luck with deer in close with it. They seem to come unglued inside 30 yards or so unless the blind is really really brushed in well.
I hunt on the ground a lot and I find it’s more effective to simply set up using available cover and make a quick makeshift blind.

I carry a good pair of pruning shears and a little folding saw to make quick setups. I also use my backpack to hold branches for cover which works well.

8bfc21bbf6d006171fede6d70f6ca1a6.jpg

I totally get your point with that but I strictly hunt private land so i know my spots well ahead of time making on the move blinds more work than it’s worth considering i’ll have to return almost daily

RS3579

WKR

FYI. I use a 1/2” or 3/4” piece of EMT conduit holding up the center of my blind when I’m not in the blind. It works well

RS3579

WKR
I use a Cabelas brand. I’m not sure of exact model. It works good. I’m able to fit myself and 2 small kids comfortably with all of us sitting in portable camp chairs.

satchamo

WKR
Ground blinds are awful in every way. I literally despise them but sometimes I have no other choice like areas where mature trees aren’t there. They’re hard to shoot from, you have 0 peripheral vision, they never last, etc.

That said - get the biggest damn one you can afford. Drawing a bow in one is a pain in the ass. I’m big dude at 6’4” with a 30 in draw. I think the one I have now is ameristep. It’s got sliding windows and no Velcro which is a plus. But most ground blinds have a life of about 3 years between mice, weather, and whatever else. Just don’t go small.

Tips

1) make sure you brush the damn things in and don’t set them out a day before hunting. Deer will not tolerate them unless they have time to acclimate. I put mine out in Oct in the same area every year with the goal of hunting it late season when they are moving to crops. Even then deer are leery of it often times.

2) wear black in them, and open as few windows as possible and do not close them when you leave. The deer will notice the slightest difference on them so if you close the windows when you leave they get used to them with the windows shut then you show up to hunt, open the windows and the deer can get weirded out.

3) when you set it up, scrape the ground inside down to dirt and get rid of every leaf in there. Keeps things quiet when you use it.

4) support the top if you plan on leaving it out in snow. It will collapse otherwise. Or you can tie the top to a tree limb if you have one close enough.

5) stake the high hell out of it and/or tie it to a tree. I’ve found my ground blinds hundreds of yards from where I put them more than once haha

Good luck!

Last edited: