Ground Elk fat %

MtnMuley

WKR
10-15% clean beef suet for burger. 20% pork butt/shoulder for sausage. 15% bacon ends and pieces if you want bacon burgers.

100% elk. You do not need to add fat to your perfect elk meat to make a burger. I enjoy the taste of wild game and work hard for it...I'm not adding anything to it unless I'm making sausage.
Well said I do the same with all venison.

CoStick

WKR
Effectively, yes. Your body needs fat just like it needs other molecular compounds…..more so than most people tend to believe. If you can get it from high omega-3 sources, all the better.
We eat a good amount of salmon as well. Is wagyu beef a source of omega 3?

Zappaman

WKR
And... when adding high-heat cheese (and some jalapeno to that sausage)... my sausage SHINES when cold smoked in buck sticks OR large loaf sausage.

Doodle

FNG
We eat a good amount of salmon as well. Is wagyu beef a source of omega 3?
Ha, I wish. I haven’t studied the makeup of wagyu fats, but I’d imagine it’s heavily slanted towards the omega -6 side of things…it is delicious though. I feel like you’re making a point more than asking a question, but if you do have questions, by all means fire away. I study this stuff for fun.

CoStick

WKR
Ha, I wish. I haven’t studied the makeup of wagyu fats, but I’d imagine it’s heavily slanted towards the omega -6 side of things…it is delicious though. I feel like you’re making a point more than asking a question, but if you do have questions, by all means fire away. I study this stuff for fun.
Not at all, we love elk meat so I was curious why the desire to mask the flavor. it seemed you were implying it was healthier with the added flavoring, so I asked.

Marble

WKR
Sounds killer - cold smoking is one of my favorite methods for a quick blast of flavor.
For all of my larger meat roasts that have fat in them and require slow smoking, I'll cold smoke 2 hours then put them in plastic wrap seasoned for 2 to 7 days in the fridge. Then cook on smoker. It's makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Doodle

FNG
Not at all, we love elk meat so I was curious why the desire to mask the flavor. it seemed you were implying it was healthier with the added flavoring, so I asked.
No worries man - it’s so hard to judge intentions on these forums without tonal inflection and people can get pretty snippy sometimes….

The long and the short of it is pretty much what zappaman said/eluded to: corn fed and finished beef will have higher levels of omega-6 fatty acids and grass fed beef (as well as pastured pork and poultry, wild game, and wild fish) will generally have higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids.

Fats and cholesterol are essential for the creation of hormones, proper brain function, and all sorts of other bodily functions. This, combined with the whole omega-3 thing, is why everybody goes on and on about how avocados are good for you…..and they’re not wrong.

If you’re up for a rabbit-hole of research, check out ancel keys and the lipid hypothesis of the last (nearly) century. I could go on and on but I’d derail the thread (and I’m getting tired).

Cheers to eating well!

CoStick

WKR
No worries man - it’s so hard to judge intentions on these forums without tonal inflection and people can get pretty snippy sometimes….

The long and the short of it is pretty much what zappaman said/eluded to: corn fed and finished beef will have higher levels of omega-6 fatty acids and grass fed beef (as well as pastured pork and poultry, wild game, and wild fish) will generally have higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids.

Fats and cholesterol are essential for the creation of hormones, proper brain function, and all sorts of other bodily functions. This, combined with the whole omega-3 thing, is why everybody goes on and on about how avocados are good for you…..and they’re not wrong.

If you’re up for a rabbit-hole of research, check out ancel keys and the lipid hypothesis of the last (nearly) century. I could go on and on but I’d derail the thread (and I’m getting tired).

Cheers to eating well!
I am comfortable with our nutrition, I was just curious how adding beef or pork to elk made it healthier. I appreciate your insights.

Zappaman

WKR

Cheers to eating well!
Spot on... and it's just fantastic that we have lost this basic science to the "market" which serves the general public "no so healthy" food in ALL demographic categories- not just the "food deserts" we hear about.

At home here in Kansas-- we eat 80% elk, deer and feral pig (and some wild caught fish) and my wife 100% supports my hunting because the first cancer bill starts at $50k and goes UP! Like Jack Lalanne said... "if it comes in a box- don't eat it!"

It definitely helps that we live in an area where hunting is a "normal" pursuit and access to both public and private land is accessible. Four deer, three pigs and a few turkeys in the freezer- is a good year for us this year! -- We are fortunate and we know it!

Rob5589

WKR
The trick is to not use so much fat that it masks the flavor. Just to add some moisture and texture.

elkyinzer

WKR
Play around with it and see what you like?

When I want a good burger, I buy 80/20 beef. I'll eat a deer burger once in awhile, they are thoroughly decent, but doesn't hold a candle to ground beef. Not even close. That's pretty much the only beef I buy, maybe 10 pounds a year.

I keep my ground venison 100% lean and use it in meatballs, taco meat, chili, etc. Stuff that doesn't need the fat.

The couple venison sausages I make get 20% fatback.

Laramie

WKR
100% elk can still be made into a burger that holds moisture and sticks together. The trick is to knead the meat long enough to activate the proteins. Then make into patties. Cook low and slow on a smoker or use indirect heat off to one side of your grill. Take your time bringing them up to temp. I like mine at about 140 degrees max. IMG_20210718_152743853_HDR.jpg

OP
GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Nobody does lamb?
I detest lamb. My wife asked me to take her out for lamb, I said, I know where steak, fish, chicken and pork restaurant are but I've never seen lamb restaurants. I rest my case.

sndmn11

WKR
I detest lamb. My wife asked me to take her out for lamb, I said, I know where steak, fish, chicken and pork restaurant are but I've never seen lamb restaurants. I rest my case.
I was brought some burger from my friend's outfit and they ground it with 10% lamb fat. It was awesome. They do pork in deer and phorns.

Pigs are the nastiest animal on earth. Why take their nasty fat & add it to anything ???? !!!! ????? 1/2 the Texas ranchers don't even eat the nuisance hogs, they leave them for the buzzards.

EastMT

WKR
I didn’t have any fat for a couple mountain goats, ground it up 100% lean. It was perfect, no need to add fat. Since that I don’t add any to any game, I like it just the was it is. Plenty juicy, held together perfect. If you want it to taste more beef like, or pork like 10-15% is fine.