Ground meat questions.

kiddogy

WKR
So it stays together better and a little fat helps with moisture so the burger isn't as dry. I can't understand why guys have to knock other guys for adding fat to there burger but then these same guys turn around and add cheese, eggs, onion soup mix or other things to there burger meat so it stays together in a patty.

Lets get real I add around 10% beef fat to my burger meat so thats what less then 1 ounce per patty? I probably get more elk flavor with my meager amount of fat then the guy dumping a pack of onion soup mix, egg or cheese into the mix.
I don't add anything not even seasonings. it 's either edible ,or it ain't.

muddydogs

WKR
I don't add anything not even seasonings. it 's either edible ,or it ain't.
Well good for you, I myself need just a little fat I just don't appreciate pure game meat hamburgers and I've tried a couple times. Pure game meat is fine as taco or spaghetti sauce meat but I don't like wasting my game meat in some sauce when any old nasty burger will do I like to save it for burgers. If I had enough game meat to make it through the year I would eat it in place of beef burger and beef steak all the time but the reality is one elk just doesn't produce enough meat for the year and who knows whats going to happen the next year so I am somewhat of a game meat hoarder and only use it when I know I will taste the most game meat flavor.

What really chaps my hide is when someone puts ketchup on an elk steak, if they want to put ketchup on a steak I would have just cooked then some cheap nasty beef steak and saved the elk for me. Ya I might be just a little protective of my game meat.

OP
R

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
for the guys that use beef in their grind do you use suet or just regular fat? Thinking of using beef in my burger so we can cook them to what ever temp and not have to worry about it.

So when I’m grinding meat for ground meat/burgers I do strait up no fat added. I usually always grind all at once and freeze. In 1 lb poly bags.I find the meat lasts a long time.

I don’t mix with fat unless I making sausage and brats.

So when I’m grinding meat for ground meat/burgers I do strait up no fat added. I usually always grind all at once and freeze. In 1 lb poly bags.I find the meat lasts a long time.

I don’t mix with fat unless I making sausage and brats.

That’s me as well, nothing added. The only problem I ever have, with zero added fat to burgers, is with moose being the leanest red meat there is, the burgers will not stick together without adding something. We add breadcrumbs, and usually an egg, to our moose burgers to keep them together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
I also add no fat to my wild game. I’ve tested it side my side with same animal at 10%, it all held together well. If it’s a bit gamey a little fat is added but I try not to shoot certain species near rut.

I grind burger all at once for convenience.

Now for the rest, I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it, I wrap it in whole muscle. Loins, round, sirloin, tenderloin, flat irons, etc are cut into the size to feed the family. Then I write what is in the package. When I pull it out I can then make cubes for chili, stew meat, stir fry, steaks, etc. Cuts the process time down quite a bit so I can get back to hunting.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

Eagle

WKR
I add 20% bacon to any grind that will specifically be for burgers, for sausage, 25%, all other ground is left without fat for use in taco's/enchiladas/spaghetti, etc.

kiddogy

WKR
Well good for you, I myself need just a little fat I just don't appreciate pure game meat hamburgers and I've tried a couple times. Pure game meat is fine as taco or spaghetti sauce meat but I don't like wasting my game meat in some sauce when any old nasty burger will do I like to save it for burgers. If I had enough game meat to make it through the year I would eat it in place of beef burger and beef steak all the time but the reality is one elk just doesn't produce enough meat for the year and who knows whats going to happen the next year so I am somewhat of a game meat hoarder and only use it when I know I will taste the most game meat flavor.

What really chaps my hide is when someone puts ketchup on an elk steak, if they want to put ketchup on a steak I would have just cooked then some cheap nasty beef steak and saved the elk for me. Ya I might be just a little protective of my game meat.
beef beats pretty much all wild game , IMHO. I like wild game but beef is da bomb.

AKYZ450F

FNG
We used to add around 10% beef suet to our moose burger. Then a few years ago it became tough to find it so we started not adding anything to the burger and it tastes fine to me. Making sausage I add about 25-30% pork to it. I try and find pork buts with the most fat and use them. I haven't tried bacon yet but might do a small batch and see how that is.

I heard that podcast as well and was giving it some thought.

I do have an attachment for our mixer to grind small batches. That being said, all my trim is currently in the freezer and I will start breaking it out in November. I plan to grind about half and keep the other half ungrounded. I use cubed meat for other recipes and can always grind it later.

I had 10% fat added to ground venison. I have ground pork back fat in the freezer from the butcher and will start experimenting the mixtures.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

beef beats pretty much all wild game , IMHO. I like wild game but beef is da bomb.

I get where you’re coming from, but to each their own. We never eat beef at home, and the only time we ever do eat beef is occasionally, when we go out to eat, which isn’t very often either. Our family prefers wild game, over beef any day. I think a lot of it has to do with what you’re used to. Mountain goat and Dall sheep burgers tonight, and we wouldn’t have it any other way.

I’ll take a moose steak over any beef steak any day lol

My family eats wild game year round. That’s all we eat. Only time we eat beef is if we go out to eat. I like beef too. But I enjoy wild game as much as beef.

jmez

WKR
I grind all the burger at once. I mix 10% beef fat and only grind once.

I don't use elk for any of my sausage. Roast, steaks and burger the whole thing.

I grind all of my whitetail and make different sausages with it. Taste way too much like deer otherwise!

I cube and freeze the deer in 5 lb bags. I'll grind all of the fresh sausage and 50# of smoked at once. I can only fit 50# in my smokers so I have to break that up. I grind all my sausage 15% pork butts. I only grind my sausage once as well.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

PMcGee

WKR
I grind it all at once with nothing added. I’ll add a little pork when making burgers or meatloaf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I grind at one time what I happen to be processing. Some I add pork butt to and some I add nothing. I try and cut as much as possible into steaks and chops as well as some roasts. But grind is sure handy to have around.
I like to use game meat in a lot of different ways. I think game is good mixed with a lot of different meats. Just like you mix pork , beef and veal in meatballs and meat sauce. Sometimes I like a bacon burger. Sausage is another thing I like to mix different meat. When I refer to game Im talking about whitetail deer in my case. I am sure different game like moose and elk might be used differently. I dont judge or question what others do I learn what might be good to cook from them.

OXN939

WKR
for the guys that use beef in their grind do you use suet or just regular fat? Thinking of using beef in my burger so we can cook them to what ever temp and not have to worry about it.

Great thread here. So far, my success recipe has been adding about 1 part ground beef (80% lean) to 4 parts game. I cube my game and freeze, no seasoning added. Really, taking ten minutes to grind for burgers once every few weeks is not a huge imposition on my life.

You can have it both ways...?
I like to grind all at once, but throw some beef suet in some of it. If we are having burgers, I'll use the packages marked "grind+", tacos or spaghetti and I'll use straight grind. I do notice a difference in the burgers and like it that way.
Hate to admit it...... but even living in MT; we buy beef maaaaybe once a year, or out to dinner like others have said - just prefer game.

I added brisket trimmings from a local BBQ store or pork butt 4lbs deer to 1lb beef or pork. Do enough for a few months and than grind more whole muscle for burger as I need. Wife prefers fat added, I’m fine with noting added except burgers. Might try the egg crumb idea.

I need a sausage stuffer. Borrowed one and it’s much nicer than the big grinder for one person.

Need to drop a couple Kansas fruit rolls to eat!

monsterB

FNG
Had meat processed before headed home from hunt. Ended up with a good amount of beef fat added burger to meat the deadline. Anything I can do to add or mix to what I have now? Or just mix when I am making specific recipes?