Group application in Colorado... points question.

Getting ready to put in for tags in Colorado with my hunting partner... I have 2 points he has 0. I was thinking that our points would 'average' to 1 each in the draw. I'm reading the regs now and it states that we'll be assessed points wise by the group member with the lowest points. Does this mean we'll be drawing hunts based on his zero points instead of 1 each averaged?? Thanks in advance, first time applying as a group in CO!

Mike

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Mike,
I get all the states mixed up and have to check the regs everytime I apply. Yes, you will be counted as "zero"
How about you apply solo with one point, he apply solo with zero and if you draw, he doesn't, maybe he can pick up an elk tag OTC (bull or cow) depending on the unit. Next year, you could do the same, except you get the elk if you don't draw deer?

Or you could just apply solo, he apply points and slap an apron on him and name him "camp cook"? Hope he's cute if choose this option.

OP
HellsCanyon
Ha not a bad idea Robby! The unit that we're applying for has decent enough odds that we still stand a chance at drawing our tags that we're hoping for on 2nd choice so we're just hoping we get lucky!

What do the deer leftover licence lists typically look like? Any point in getting first chance at them vs getting a refund?

Mike

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I'd check that box. At least you get first look at the leftovers in case you don't draw. I'm always amazed at the bucks that come off of the undersubscribed units. If I lived in Colorado, something tells me I'd be hunting those a lot and building points.
Either way, God bless your deer huntin'

OP
HellsCanyon
Thanks Robby and the same to you! We're all applied and now the waiting game begins... the results are usually out sometime in May correct?

Mike