Group Application Strategy

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to apply as a group (4) next year in ID, CO, & NM. Am I handicapping myself by applying as a group? Seems like the odds would be less. Meaning: if a group of 4 apply, but there are only 3 tags available when the group is drawn, then the group misses out.

Second question, how do you approach a group hunt without applying as a group? Assuming only one person gets a bull tag, do you take advantage of cow tags, bear tags, and possible OTC mule deer overlap opportunities?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

wytx

WKR
In Wyoming the whole group gets the tags even if it puts you over the quota.

In CO if 4 of you apply, you only get 1 name in the draw and it’s the person with the least amount of PP. if one guy has 10 and everyone else has 0 you will not get to use your 10, but you will lose them I believe. If there is 1 tag left but your name comes up all 4 get tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jethro

WKR
NM and CO, if there are less tags available than # of people in your group, nobody gets the tag. I don't do ID, so can't comment there and Wytx already covered WY.

Speaking only for CO (I'm not well-versed in the particulars of other states' draw systems), applying as a group can only hurt (never help) your chances of drawing for two reasons:
1) Everyone in the group is treated as having the same number of preference points as the lowest point-holder in the group. If you have 2 points and your buddy only has 1, you both get entered in the 1 point pool. If all group members have the same number of points, this aspect of the group application obviously neither helps nor hurts your chances.
2) As you conjectured, if the size of your group exceeds the number of tags remaining when your group is drawn, nobody in the group gets a tag.

From CPW's website:
  • Each hunter’s application is submitted separately using one group leader CID. Group applications entering the draw have priority based on the group member with the fewest preference points.
  • Each individual application is assigned a six-digit number. Groups are assigned a number based on the lowest application number in the group. After the number is randomized, if that number is selected in the draw, and there are enough licenses left for the entire group, everyone in the group gets a license.
  • If the group includes resident and nonresident applicants and the nonresident cap has been met, the group will not get licenses.
  • If the group is successful for their first choice, each group member will get a license and their preference points drop to zero. If unsuccessful for their first choice, everyone gets a point.

CMF

WKR
For NM it depends on the units, if your looking at a unit with only 7 or 8 tags, your cutting your odds way down. We split our three aps into two separate. Me and buddy put in for Archery, and I put the wife in for Muzzy/Rifle hunts. We didn't draw NM this year and ended up hunting CO on secondary draw tags.
You could put in 2 and 2 and if only half draws, you end up with 2 tags and split up in pairs. How many days do you have to hunt? Depending on the number of days you have to hunt, I think filling more than 2 tags could be tough anyway.

OP
Boone-In-Wall

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
For NM it depends on the units, if your looking at a unit with only 7 or 8 tags, your cutting your odds way down. We split our three aps into two separate. Me and buddy put in for Archery, and I put the wife in for Muzzy/Rifle hunts. We didn't draw NM this year and ended up hunting CO on secondary draw tags.
You could put in 2 and 2 and if only half draws, you end up with 2 tags and split up in pairs. How many days do you have to hunt? Depending on the number of days you have to hunt, I think filling more than 2 tags could be tough anyway.
We plan to hunt for a week. I agree with you that it may be difficult to fill 4 tags of anything anywhere; however, it is hard to get people to go with you if they don't have a tag. lol!

This is all good information. Thank you!

My group strategy is applying solo since I hunt solo. It’s been a good strategy for the most part. This year is the first year I haven’t drawn at least 1 tag somewhere whether NM or CO deer or elk. That’s why we have backup plans.

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
For CO this year our points ranged from 0-4. Everyone put in as an individual for the same unit with the second choice being a cow tag, except the guy with zero points. The hunter with 0 points could not draw the bull tag so he had to list the cow tag as his first choice. It took some research but everyone drew a tag.