Group size and orientation

When shooting groups for load development do you consider a group with say a few hits touching and one or 2 outside the group as a "better" group than one of the same size but all the hits are more speed out? For example, and just to keep it simple, say you have 3 shots all 1" apart at 50 grains and you get 3 shots where 2 are in one hole with a 3rd 1" away at 53 grains. Which charge would you pick to fine tune?

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
I'd shoot a few more groups. If I was consistently getting the two touching with one moving, I would play with distance off the lands.

I would adjust 50 grains ogive closer to the lands and 53 grains ogive shorter. I generally don't burn the components or time to verify the group shape a second time before these adjustments. They really do work if you are confident in your shooting form and shot execution.

OP
MuleyFever
I would adjust 50 grains ogive closer to the lands and 53 grains ogive shorter. I generally don't burn the components or time to verify the group shape a second time before these adjustments. They really do work if you are confident in your shooting form and shot execution.

Interesting. I saw the save advise given for the group shapes on an old post on another forum.