Group size BHs

What is acceptable for you guys? Couple things I've noticed.

My eyes suck, I need to get glasses. I'm starting to think my so so shooting the last few years is directly related to avoiding them. No doubting it now. I notice bigger circle, more accurate at longer distances, 30 and 40. Shooting at a 2 inch circle at 40 is a lesson in frustration, I just can't focus on it like years past.

Anyways, BHs, 40 yds, you happy keeping them in a 4 inch diameter circle? 6 inch circle?

Elk hunts coming fast, doubt I will shoot over 20 yds.

Marble

WKR
Sounds like you are shooting well enough.

As far as your vision and seeing well when shooting, there are a lot of variables and things you can do.

You can change peep size, pin size, add a light to the housing, add magnification to your housing and also put a clarifier on your peep.

Spot hogg sights can except magnification lens. I put a 2x on my wife's and she loves it. I'm sure other sights that are more hunting specific can take a lens too.

The only draw back is if it raining you can water on the lens.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR

My eyes suck, I need to get glasses. I'm starting to think my so so shooting the last few years is directly related to avoiding them. No doubting it now. I notice bigger circle, more accurate at longer distances, 30 and 40. Shooting at a 2 inch circle at 40 is a lesson in frustration, I just can't focus on it like years past.

Anyways, BHs, 40 yds, you happy keeping them in a 4 inch diameter circle? 6 inch circle?

You’ve talked about how easy it is to kill an elk every year, why mess around with 40 plus. Get one to 20 opening day and be done.

OP
C
You’ve talked about how easy it is to kill an elk every year, why mess around with 40 plus. Get one to 20 opening day and be done.
Do you wake up every day and say to yourself, “ how can I be a troll on every thread?” Goals, take a breath.

And don’t worry an elk is going to die, and it won’t be over 20.

glasses make a HUGE difference for me. I am noticeably less accurate in my contacts, I can’t even imagine shooting without contacts or glasses. My vision isn’t horrible either, I can still drive legally without glasses/contacts

Hold 1" per 10 yards is a good reference point. Anything less than that, on a consistent basis, is butter. 1.5-2" per 10 yards is not great. But if you're getting < 20 yards shots extreme accuracy isn't needed.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I "expect" them all to hit behind whatever pin I'm using unless I'm shooting between pins. And normally they do. It just depends where my pin is when the trigger goes off.

WCB

WKR
I'd say if a guy is shooting 1" per 10 yards they are doing better than 95% of people. 4" at 40 yards would be absolutely max I could stand for myself. 2-3" is acceptable. This is every group though...not cherry picking. Same as a rifle...Most quote there best groups...doesn't work if most the time you shoot 4" groups but some of the time you shoot 6" groups.

OR Archer

WKR
My baseline is like this. 10 yards = 1” group. 20 yards = 2” groups and so on. Obviously I’d like to see as small of groups as possible but these are the largest groups I would say are acceptable in my book for each distance to say I’m proficient at said distance.

I'm curious just in general for most of you guys. do you worry more about your total group size or more about the distance of each arrow from point of aim. For example if at 60 yards I shoot 10 arrows and the furthest is 4 inches from center point of aim. But my farthest two apart at 8"( one each side of bullseye) I could potentially have a tighter group if only 1" per 10 yards but depending on arrow placement could have an arrow actually further from the point of aim. Thoughts?

OP
C
I'm curious just in general for most of you guys. do you worry more about your total group size or more about the distance of each arrow from point of aim. For example if at 60 yards I shoot 10 arrows and the furthest is 4 inches from center point of aim. But my farthest two apart at 8"( one each side of bullseye) I could potentially have a tighter group if only 1" per 10 yards but depending on arrow placement could have an arrow actually further from the point of aim. Thoughts?
I find myself taking one maybe 2-3 shots, that's it. The first one is the shot I worry about. All others are nothing but fluff really.

I wake up, go for a run or ride, take "a shot" and that's what I base my group on.

CCooper

WKR
My baseline is like this. 10 yards = 1” group. 20 yards = 2” groups and so on. Obviously I’d like to see as small of groups as possible but these are the largest groups I would say are acceptable in my book for each distance to say I’m proficient at said distance.
Archers MOA. If I can't regularly execute this I'm not shooting at an animal unless its a follow-up.

wapitibob

WKR
I'll shoot 15 BH-tipped arrows at a 3" dot at 55 for $2500. Or did you mean "in" a 3" dot? Either way, that's a lot of ruined arrows if all shot in one round.

world archery round, 5 3 arrow ends. 10 ring is about 3".

you put up $2500 and he puts up $2500
He talked about it on one of his podcasts, open offer to all the internet experts that shoot 2" groups at 50 etc.

Archers moa is just like everyone who thinks they have a 1/4 or 1/2 moa gun. A lucky 3 shot group doesn't count, no duscounting flyiers, or pulled shots, they all count. I'm probably above average for most hunters, and I struggle to keep 60 touching a 1.5" line at 20.

I'd say a lot can't shoot an indoor 300 NFAA round, that's 60 arrows within or touching a 3 1/8" circle at 20.

To answer the original question, it just depends. For deer I want all my shots including bad to be in a 6-7" circle. Elk I'd say 10-11", also including the bad. So if I can do that at 30, 40, 50.....

That's what I want. I use to read about a pie plate or a paper plate. Distance where you can keep 4/5 in it. I much prefer what I feel is absolute, a repeatable 5/5 day in and day out. It's a lot easier to do it in your backyard than out in the field.