Grouse gun during elk rifle season

Mike7

WKR
I have been using a Walther P22 for just this very thing w/ the CCI subsonic rounds the last couple of years, and it is louder than a regular 22 LR round out of my 22 rifle, and I can't hit a grouse very well at all with that thing (especially not take the head off, like with a rifle).

I have thought about a light breakdown 22 rifle like mentioned above with the #4 shotshells from CCI, but I don't think those are subsonic, and that is 3 extra pounds to carry around while archery hunting.

These CB caps sound interesting...I have never heard of those. Does anyone have much experience with those? Can you get those in something other than a 22? Since I am already carrying a pistol while archery hunting, a low powder quiet 9mm shot shell would be perfect.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was looking into this also in Pennsylvania. I decided on a North American Arms model 18606C. It is a 22lr/22 mag. Only weighs 9 oz.with a 6" barrel. Not sure about the accuracy. 6" barrel should help a lot. The Hogleg – North American Arms

That's what I was talking about above. Did you get one or have just planned on it? I'm rather interested in an accuracy report.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have been using a Walther P22 for just this very thing w/ the CCI subsonic rounds the last couple of years, and it is louder than a regular 22 LR round out of my 22 rifle, and I can't hit a grouse very well at all with that thing (especially not take the head off, like with a rifle).

I have thought about a light breakdown 22 rifle like mentioned above with the #4 shotshells from CCI, but I don't think those are subsonic, and that is 3 extra pounds to carry around while archery hunting.

These CB caps sound interesting...I have never heard of those. Does anyone have much experience with those? Can you get those in something other than a 22? Since I am already carrying a pistol while archery hunting, a low powder quiet 9mm shot shell would be perfect.

They make shot shell rounds for 38/357 I know. Not that I would carry a 9mm hunting but if you handload you could work up a mild charge and see if it was quitter.

Rs3003

WKR
I have not purchased one yet. I'm looking for somewhat of a deal. I'd like to have it for 2017 fall season.

Axlrod

WKR
T/C Contender .410 with #4 shot in a shoulder holster. Have shot a LOT of grouse with mine over the past 30 years

bhylton

WKR
i was thinking there must be a high powered pellet pistol that runs off those little CO2 cartridges that would be accurate enough to kill a grouse. i usually just smack them with a branch or rock. they seem to be supremely stupid around here.

pwsINC

WKR
Anyone with slingshot experience care to weigh in? What model, how much does it weigh, how accurate is it, does it take a lot of practice?

Sounds childish to use a slingshot, but I think the idea has merit.
Pocket Predator Slingshots

I use the pocket predator SERE. It breaks down. Is very durable. Aluminum. You can shoot arrows with it to if you want to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk