Grouse in the Back Country

Broadhead

FNG
What do y'all do for cooking Grouse in the back country? I've cooked them over a fire, but fire bans prevented you from having a fire last year in CO. Looking for other ways to enjoy them. Any tasty recommendations for the Jetboil?

87TT

WKR
Boiled grouse? Yuk. I flour, salt and pepper and fry mine on the Snowpeak.

OP
Broadhead

Broadhead

FNG
I usually pack some Ziploc bags to take it back to the house with me and fry up. Was looking to see if there was a good way to do it when you're not in a place where you can fry it.

I would say salt ,pepper , fry in olive oil
spot on what we've done in the past, basic but tried and true. recommend cooking them down in some form of liquid/oil in a pan for as long as possible (20 min. or so) vs. open fire as they tend to be a little tough if cooked directly over open flame.

87TT

WKR
That's another reason to not like jet boil. I carry some bisquik, salt & pepper and a little oil. Fry them tenders up on the Snowpeak in the Ti pan. And I don't eat Mountain House or the like either.

That's another reason to not like jet boil. I carry some bisquik, salt & pepper and a little oil. Fry them tenders up on the Snowpeak in the Ti pan. And I don't eat Mountain House or the like either.

I like that idea, to always have some spices and oil with you!

Rob5589

WKR
We've done them in a few ways but that was truck camping. But one of the ways is rolled in crushed Ritz then fried in oil of choice. That should be easy enough in the back country.

Brendan

WKR
Single Serve Olive Oil Packets and a couple small bags of your favorite seasoning / dry rub. I use the pot that I have with my primus... Not like a frying pan, but it works.

i always cook ruffed grouse like this...
boil the breasts until white but not cooked thru complete.
set on the cutting board and cut into cubes.
batter with flour, shore lunch. you pick
fy up the bites in butter/grease until crizpy and golden
enjoy

We usually have some seasonings and a little oil or whatever animal fat we are hunting. I usually fry with some care and attention. I have also boiled quickly then browned which can be a little bit easier since it's hard to cook in the BC with the pots you usually have with you.
You can also carry a little tin foil with you, make a nice little spot near the fire and add seasonings, whatever herbs are around and roast it, it all takes a lot of attention.