Grouse in the woods

I carry a bit of olive oil and a ziplock with some salt, pepper, garlic powder and whatever else I might throw in. Breast the meat out rub with olive oil and seasoning and then cook it over an open fire either on a stick or my ruta locura titanium grill/grate.

Felix40

WKR
Either wrapped in foil or in a pot with kickin chicken seasoning. I like to leave the meat on the bone so it doesnt dry out.

Lawnboi

WKR
Chunk up breast, little oil, teriyaki sauce, lemon juice, let it marinade in a ziplock for a while, sear it up in a skillet and eat over minute rice.

KJH

WKR
Some kind of powdered marinade that you add a little water and oil... Then stir fried in a pan.

Or breaded with pancake mix and pan fried.

Owenst7

WKR
I do the feet-pull cleaning method, then pull the guts out. Lay a strip of bacon over the breast and make a little taco out of foil. I lay the foil right on some coals, on the wood stove, or in a pot/skillet on the backpacking stove.

Spruce/ruffed grouse and ptarmigan are really lean and dry out. The pork fat helps tremendously, although I've used a liberal amount of vegetable oil on occasion when it's all I had with me. Not sure about other species of upland bird, as I've only ever hunted them in Alaska.

I quick cook the meat in a pan with water. As it cooks I start shredding with a spork and set aside. I'll then use that water to cook some rice, typically the mexican flavored rice. Once the rice is done I mix it all up and enjoy.