Grouse populations

Over the last few years our ruffed grouse populations have exploded. Even with dwindling food sources and rising predator populations. Anyone else notice this apparent trend?

Interesting. Where are you located?
Im in N Idaho and I must say that last year I saw less than any year before. Ive heard a bunch of drumming this spring so far though. Who knows.

Blue Skunk

Lil-Rokslider
It hasn't been all that good in Northern Minnesota. Slight uptick predicted, but will have to see how the Spring goes.

They seem to be doing really well in the mountains of SE Idaho. I can’t go hunting without flushing at least one or two. And about ten duskies

Total opposite in VT - Grouse populations are down. (West Nile was discovered in every county in VT save for one). My flushes are probably half of what they have been over the previous 20 years. I've been exploring new areas to hunt as a result - its still slow going. Could be cyclical, but we're definitely in the down side over the last two seasons.

Rs3003

WKR
Pennsylvania is the opposite. At least where I’m hunting. Not many to been seen. Some years are better than others

Pennsylvania is the opposite. At least where I’m hunting. Not many to been seen. Some years are better than others

The same goes for Ohio- I moved out here from the Canton area and it had been probably 15+ years since I’d seen one or even heard one drumming there

VernAK

WKR
Delta is the upland Mecca of Alaska and our ruffed grouse populations are near zero, sharptails are down and spruce hens are the lowest ever. A bad spring last year and excessive limits of 15 ruffed grouse haven't helped. Books, magazine articles and TV hunting shows have driven hunter's expectations to extremes: " bag 3 species of grouse and two of ptarmigan all in one day"

Many of the ground sluicers that I meet, don't know what specie of grouse they've just shot.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Here in SW Alaska there’s spruce grouse everywhere, we were out last weekend and shot a ton of them about 20 feet off the road, lots of people locally have been talking about how many there are.

Ptarmigan seem to be a bit of a different story.

I have definitely seen this trend happening in northern Wisconsin. It seems it isn't hard at all to find good places to hunt them either.

Yep. Seems to be about a 7 year cycle here in Wa between booms and busts.

I always figured the kitty cats get a taste for grouse until they bust and then turn to bunnies until they bust. Grouse and bunny cycles seem to be opposite.