Grumman vs Kifaru Jacket

McCree

Lil-Rokslider
Can anyone give me a good comparison between the two? I'm looking for a heavier puffy. I was leaning towards the Grumman, it appears to be warmer, but I like the fact that the Kifaru is 100% made in the US.

I like my kifaru parka, the ability to hike in it with your waist belt going through the front pocket is nice. It is tougher than the Grumman, but also doesn’t pack down as small and this is probably my biggest setback with it. With temps in the 30’s I’m comfortable with a t shirt or light long sleeve on underneath. I have shot two 2-day PRS field matches in mine and it has held up. In a rush I believe I got mine caught in a zipper of my pack and tore the armpit out as I was ripping it out of my pack. Kifaru was able to repair it which is a positive note to the synthetic insulation. With a hole in it the insulation stayed out and in the field would still function fine. My buddy has the Grumman and has nothing but good things to say about it, although not much field time on it. Either one is going to keep you warm, decide when and how you use your puffy and let that decide for you. I’m usually on day hunts or 2-3 day trips and don’t need a puffy that packs to the size of a pop can. If room was a concern a down puffy would be on my list to buy.

If you’re expecting wet weather, the synthetic LPP is easily the way to go. My pack took an inadvertent swim in Idaho this year and I was able to wring out my puffy and wear it dry. The LPP will still provide warmth even when wet, down will not. If your hunts are mostly dry, I’d lean towards the SG.

I only have with the LPP, and it's probably my favorite article of hunting clothing.... late season glassing goes from freezing my ass off to warm and cozy after putting on the LPP.... i love that coat. last night i sat on a ridgetop and got pelted by wind and cold rain, had the LPP under my rain gear sitting there toasty.

i like the inner material too, it's just a warm comfy coat. i think CApighunter nailed the differences well... i live/hunt in the PNW so the extra bulk is worth it to me over down, and it's not that bad bulk and weight wise

OP
McCree

McCree

Lil-Rokslider
Although it will be used for a multitude of hunts, I'm ultimately prepping for an upcoming 2022 AK moose hunt. Based on this and what I'm reading I'm leaning towards the Kifaru LPP. I appreciate the feedback!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If you’re expecting wet weather, the synthetic LPP is easily the way to go. My pack took an inadvertent swim in Idaho this year and I was able to wring out my puffy and wear it dry. The LPP will still provide warmth even when wet, down will not. If your hunts are mostly dry, I’d lean towards the SG.

This is not correct, at least with regards to SG’s down.

Vandy321

WKR
There is no way in hell that the grumman is warmer than the LPP.

I am a huge SG fan, but would not count on that grumman to keep warm below 32 deg, September use, at best.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
There is no way in hell that the grumman is warmer than the LPP.

I am a huge SG fan, but would not count on that grumman to keep warm below 32 deg, September use, at best.

They are about the same when new. The LPP is 2.5oz Climashield. That’s the same as their 20° sleeping bag, except doubled up. For stationary glassing and being totally comfortable, the LPP is around a 35° jacket. After a couple months of use, the Grumman is warmer than the LPP.

Vandy321

WKR
They are about the same when new. The LPP is 2.5oz Climashield. That’s the same as their 20° sleeping bag, except doubled up. For stationary glassing and being totally comfortable, the LPP is around a 35° jacket. After a couple months of use, the Grumman is warmer than the LPP.
I've owned both. No longer own either.. The grumman is paper thin, sewn thru construction and barely 5oz of down...hold it up the light, the jacket is covered bare spots in the insulation. For $300+ it's laughable. The LPP is better, but not by a longshot.

Neither would be my choice for actually staying warm anytime after the first snowfall.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I've owned both. No longer own either.. The grumman is paper thin, sewn thru construction and barely 5oz of down...hold it up the light, the jacket is covered bare spots in the insulation. For $300+ it's laughable. The LPP is better, but not by a longshot.

Neither would be my choice for actually staying warm anytime after the first snowfall.

Ok? I have hundreds of days on multiples of both, including static direct simultaneous comparison between them. The SG is a relatively normal, lightweight, down jacket with 5oz of down.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Paper thin? The SG? That's laughable, I mean come on. Sewn-through, yes, has pinch points, it certainly isn't box baffled. It's designed as an ultralight piece. It's pretty well-rounded and significantly warmer than a lot of the other stuff in that weight class. I don't doubt the real world experience - I've got quite a bit with it as well. Agree with Form, for static sits, you need more warmth than just that jacket when it is cold. But it isn't a damn joke, that's just hyperbole.

Kuiu SD Ultra - THAT is paper thin. Not a bad jacket, just different purpose for different conditions. I'm sure the LPP is great, but this isn't black and white like the thread reads.