GStove

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
How long of a burn time do you usually get in one of these? I have a TI-stove, but the burn time is extremely short. Maybe 30 min or so.. I’d look to get one of these for basecamping in my Redcliff if the burn time was longer.. thanks!

sneaky

"DADDY"
What's the advantage of this over a 4Dog stove? Just looks cooler? Looks like price is the biggest difference, but 4Dog is titanium and these are stainless. 4dog is 10lbs lighter though, but a lot more expensive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
B

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Biggest advantage is cost. Several hundred $ cheaper than a 4Dog. These stoves are also very durable and, for me, they will easily fit in a pannier for packing. I have a SO titanium and it is good for packing also as it breaks down very flat; but rolling the pipe, assembling the stove, etc. is kind of a pain, it is easy to lose parts, and the stove and pipe (foil) dent easily. They work great for what they are designed for - lightweight packing and they will sure put out heat very quickly but they also die down quickly without constant 'tending'. Don't know burn time yet as my Gstove has not yet arrived, but I'm thinking it will be quite a bit longer than the SO, and probably similar to the 4Dog. As far as durability, you can stand on a Gstove. They also have a lot of accessories (oven, hot water heater, etc) and the pipe, which is also pretty rugged goes together very easily. Stove, with pipe sections inside, weigh in at about 20 lbs., comparable to some of the lighter sheepherder stoves but the Gstove and pipe is stainless. This unit is akin to a 'mini' Cylinder Stove, which is one of the best camp stoves out there.

sneaky

"DADDY"
10lbs on a llama is a huge difference though. Seems like the 4Dog would make a better choice for llamas. I don't need an oven on my tent stove, i'm not in the woods to bake cookies lol.

OP
B

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Gstove is about 1/2 of one pannier by weight on a llama - not a problem at all. Adult llamas (depending on size) can easily handle anywhere from 60-80 lbs, and, in really good shape 90 lbs depending on terrain. The 4Dog stove would be tougher to get into a pannier due to its dimensions and shape. When llama packing, volume can and frequently is more of a problem than weight. The 4Dog is shaped more like the sheepherder stoves and they take up a lot of volume. The Gstove oven is just one of the accessories - I don't plan on baking either; however the hot water heater is one that will get lots of use in an elk camp.

LaGriz

WKR
Dennis gale,
This looks like a fine stove. What are the specs & dimensions? I don't know what this retails for but it can't be much more than my 4-Dog Ti stove. I'm still shocked that I was willing to shell out so much cash for a quality piece of gear. I guess I was really that uncomfortable with my Cylinder stove and that motivated me to upgrade. I liked your improvised use of tent stakes to secure the stove. I may barrow that idea as the new Ti stove being so lite might be prone to movement as compared to the 40+ lb. Cylinder stove it has replaced.

My Ultra Light 2 (11"x 11" x 22") is 14 lbs. complete with side shelf & 4" Pipe that all fits inside the stove. 4-Dog makes a slightly smaller version (Ultra light 1-DX 10"X10"X18") that weighs 10 lbs. I would think you could combine these stoves with a cross-over and use a 3" roll-up Titanium pipe to save even more weight and volume. Have also considered a ran cap for the stove pipe. I don't know if is worth the effort to source one. My thinking is that if I leave camp in the morning, knowing that a weather event is coming, I will just remove the pipe and secure the flap over the stove Jack. Once I return to camp I could then re-install the pipe. Thanks for your post!

LaGriz

sneaky

"DADDY"
Ok, i'm still not seeing how that cylinder with the partially removable legs is that much smaller than the rectangular 4dog stove. Those leg sections sticking out look awkward. The 4 dog has a bigger firebox, but that cylinder stove doesn't roll up flat. Both are still going to be bulky compared to a collapsible stove setup. Both are going to have much better burn times than collapsible stoves. I think the GStove is just about price point, and that's a driver for a ton of people. Stainless will burn through quicker than titanium, and it is prone to rust over time. I think it's a choice on what fits the buyer's budget more than anything else. I don't drink coffee so a hot water tank doesn't do me any good, I've never used the one on my Colorado cylinder stove I've had for years. I can put a pot on any of these stoves to heat water for my dehydrated meals.

sneaky

"DADDY"
On a fly in type hunt, that 10lbs is a huge deal

OP
B

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
You are certainly right about the price point! I had the Cylinder Stove and loved it but it was just too bulky and heavy for packing (80 lbs on one llama - 40 lbs per side). This stove will certainly outlast me and I have already checked out the fit in a pannier. Like the ability to fire it up quickly and the quality of construction for the price. With this stove we can get our whole setup which includes a 12-man SO tipi, Nemo Dark Timber cook tent, tarp floor, etc. on 1 llama. Have been 'tweaking' back country base camp for 20 years and this is the latest 'tweak'.

reaper

WKR
The G-stove is not an ultralight stove at all(20-25 lbs),i bought one for base camp and overland trips with my jeep and canoe camping.The g-stove keep the heat as crazy and have a better burn time,this is not your Seekoutside/kifaru stove...not at all.

It is quick to set-up and easy to start a fire.

I was out last weekend for ice fishing and the only cons i found is 1-not all the parts can be stored inside,you will need a bag or something if you add accessories such as extra stove pipe sections(max of 6 into the stove). 2-The stove take some times to cool down wich is annoying when you have to leave fast but it also mean than the stove do his job as keeping the heat.

So far i like this stove and i have no regrets,just keep in mind this is NOT an ultralight stove lol!!!
Fourdog is more money and less accessories and was not even in my choices.
2f973287527c192b7a6fd4980c45fbf8.jpg
2da326f3fa65ab6d9f921ca1ea52b180.jpg
8efc9d0754894617a61833b66b355b7c.jpg
70af06972f847377032d526bebd7fe99.jpg
54bb70f17ffa0aaf8856c50a22bbaccc.jpg
b807975df1ad055d92b05e0f578b0a22.jpg
cbbd44f6ad5fca7937b54c629130f259.jpg
1226e42504eb4a12cdb3ed508cc768a8.jpg
dc23c37ee302f4e06527ec11fefb848a.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

OP
B

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for more of the photos Reaper! Looks like you stayed comfortable on that ice fishing trip. Realize that the Gstove is not an ultralight stove but it will work well for packing into a base camp with my llamas. Have packed many sheepherder style box stoves in that weight range that were not nearly the same quality or as durable. Extra pipe will not be a problem either!

ozman

FNG
I purchased a GStove XL last Spring along with a Luxe Megahorn XL tipi tent. Primary use is base camp for whitetail hunting on the Family Farm in Northern Michigan. I cannot say enough good things about the GStove. I can have the tipi and stove set up in 15 minutes, 10 minutes after that the tent is very warm and comfortable.

ozman

FNG
How long of a burn time do you usually get in one of these? I have a TI-stove, but the burn time is extremely short. Maybe 30 min or so.. I’d look to get one of these for basecamping in my Redcliff if the burn time was longer.. thanks!
I’m getting anywhere from 2.5 to 3 hours with hardwoods. I use a the pipe dampener which helps increase the burn time imo

Jgrover2

FNG
I purchased a GStove XL last Spring along with a Luxe Megahorn XL tipi tent. Primary use is base camp for whitetail hunting on the Family Farm in Northern Michigan. I cannot say enough good things about the GStove. I can have the tipi and stove set up in 15 minutes, 10 minutes after that the tent is very warm and comfortable.

How long is the burn time??