GT pierce arrows

Sizthediz

WKR
Any info on these arrows. Good?bad? Ugly? Any recommendations for similar 250 spine arrows
Tia

Bump79

WKR
I've shot these arrows in 250 and 300 spine. I found them to be more brittle than any other arrow I've shot. I know some love them.. but my experience was that they tended to easily split, crack or separate. I had similar issues with the VAP TKO's. To be fair I shoot a lot.

Of the micro arrows I've tried the X-Impacts and Element Storms have been the most durable. Which is interesting because they have the smallest OD and lighter GPI.

The problem with any of the. 166 shafts are components. The halfout systems suck, especially the aluminum ones that GT uses. Easton made the deep 6 components to try to do away with the halfouts, Iron will is doing the Snyder Core. I think ethics makes something.

I think it makes a good outdoor arrow with a glue in point, but all the components on a shaft that size are either a real pain to use or just suck.

I'm sold on the idea of a no smaller than .204 hunting arrow.

If you go the route of GT pierce, I'd definitely use a different insert system than they supply. The half outs with their. 204s are pretty bad as well. When they get that small they really need to be stainless steel, even then with the leverage the point has they don't always hold up that well.

Bump79

WKR
The problem with any of the. 166 shafts are components. The halfout systems suck, especially the aluminum ones that GT uses. Easton made the deep 6 components to try to do away with the halfouts, Iron will is doing the Snyder Core. I think ethics makes something.

I think it makes a good outdoor arrow with a glue in point, but all the components on a shaft that size are either a real pain to use or just suck.

I'm sold on the idea of a no smaller than .204 hunting arrow.

If you go the route of GT pierce, I'd definitely use a different insert system than they supply. The half outs with their. 204s are pretty bad as well. When they get that small they really need to be stainless steel, even then with the leverage the point has they don't always hold up that well.

I completely agree with your assessment. I switched from .204 to .166 and I found it to be a costly rabbit hole. While I like my X-Impacts and Storms I also found the components to be a problem. To get to a point where durability was acceptable it cost some coin. Even then you have more work installing and getting runout to spin.

I found the Titanium Outserts from Nexxus to be tough as nails.

IMHO if I were to recommend a setup a .204 shaft w/ HIT insert and collar is so tough to beat.

Yooper

WKR
I'll just echo what everyone else above has said. I shot the GT PP arrows for a full season. The shafts themselves I had no issues with. It was all the component bullshit that I got sick of chasing around. I build my own arrows so to me it's not the same as having to run to a shop all the time, but in the end it's still not worth it to me. I went back to an Easton Axis Match Grade and at this point I plan on sticking with those for a long time!

Reactions: Zac
I completely agree with your assessment. I switched from .204 to .166 and I found it to be a costly rabbit hole. While I like my X-Impacts and Storms I also found the components to be a problem. To get to a point where durability was acceptable it cost some coin. Even then you have more work installing and getting runout to spin.

I found the Titanium Outserts from Nexxus to be tough as nails.

IMHO if I were to recommend a setup a .204 shaft w/ HIT insert and collar is so tough to beat.
Don't forget gluing fetching big enough to really steer broadheads to those tiny little forkers.

WCB

WKR
I shot the Pierce Platinums for 4 or 5 years. I will never again shoot an arrow that has to have on insert outsert collar thing. Extra steps to get things spinning perfect and the bend easy and have issues with them staying in after shooting for a while. I will say I had no complaints hunting with them or once you got everything assembled and aligned (again until they bent or started spinning bad because of the extra components). I also shot the VAPS for 3 or 4 years and same issues with them. IMO micro arrows are just extra work and a solution looking for a problem.

I now shoot the GT Hunter Pros...IMO a better arrow and just simpler. Also shooting to 80 or 90 yards IMO no real noticeable difference.

OP
S

Sizthediz

WKR
The problem I am having is they were the only 250 spine I could find. I am coming from GT hunter xt 300 spine for another bow. Just purchased a new bow (v3 70# @ 28.5dl) just don't want to be underspined. Opern to suggestions

OP
S

Sizthediz

WKR
I have no experience with any other manufacturers always used GT.

The problem I am having is they were the only 250 spine I could find. I am coming from GT hunter xt 300 spine for another bow. Just purchased a new bow (v3 70# @ 28.5dl) just don't want to be underspined. Opern to suggestions

Rampage in 250, Axis in 260, and GT airstrikes.. In a .246 arrow you have BE Carnivores, GT hunter XT, Victory, Vforce 245, and Easton 6.5 mm's in all their options for a 250 spine

Lots of options.

N2TRKYS

WKR

You can get GT Hunter XT in 250 spine.

svivian

WKR
I shot the GT Platinum Peirce for two seasons. They flew out to 100 yards pretty good but not as good as the carbon expresses I was using prior, but not bad enough to make me not want to shoot them.... I thought. With expandable broadheads the arrows flew fine but when I stepped up to a fixed blade head that's where I ran into problems. They flew all over the place and could not get them tuned when before I was having no problems with the carbon express(no it was not a bow tune problem).

So I took the broadheads off and spin tested them. They seemed to spin good, not great but good. Put the broadhead back on and they were wobbling bad. At first I thought it was the broad head so I took them and spun them on my carbon express arrows and they spun perfect.

What I found out is with all the extra components and outserts, that if you didn't get them perfectly plum and straight you would have issues once you put weight up front. Also a few misses could cause the collars and inserts to shift slightly enough to make problems with broadhead flight. You would have to be a pretty darn good arrow builder in my opinion and if you are having the guy behind the counter do it you have even less odds of it flying true.

Switched to Easton Axis 5mm match grade 260 spine and they have been awesome. Best arrows i have shot so far. Groups broadheads out to 100 yards and the arrows are just as tough.

sndmn11

WKR
I have shot them since 2015 I think with Ethics inserts. They are a-ok for me and I only throw one in the trash pile if I hit rebar or rocks.

CB4

WKR
I shoot a v3 31 75lb at 28.5 and run the GT PP in 300 spine. I use the standard components and 125 grain broadhead. For me they flew better than BE Rampages. Shot a deer at 62 yards and broke both legs. Arrow hung out about 8 inches on the other side and snapped off. Components had zero failure and the arrow snapping was because of the animal rolling. Also in practicing this summer I forgot to move my slider and shot over the target into a cement slab, the arrow snapped before the components bent. I don't expect any arrow to survive a shot into cement.

OP
S

Sizthediz

WKR
I shot the GT Platinum Peirce for two seasons. They flew out to 100 yards pretty good but not as good as the carbon expresses I was using prior, but not bad enough to make me not want to shoot them.... I thought. With expandable broadheads the arrows flew fine but when I stepped up to a fixed blade head that's where I ran into problems. They flew all over the place and could not get them tuned when before I was having no problems with the carbon express(no it was not a bow tune problem).

So I took the broadheads off and spin tested them. They seemed to spin good, not great but good. Put the broadhead back on and they were wobbling bad. At first I thought it was the broad head so I took them and spun them on my carbon express arrows and they spun perfect.

What I found out is with all the extra components and outserts, that if you didn't get them perfectly plum and straight you would have issues once you put weight up front. Also a few misses could cause the collars and inserts to shift slightly enough to make problems with broadhead flight. You would have to be a pretty darn good arrow builder in my opinion and if you are having the guy behind the counter do it you have even less odds of it flying true.

Switched to Easton Axis 5mm match grade 260 spine and they have been awesome. Best arrows i have shot so far. Groups broadheads out to 100 yards and the arrows are just as tough.
I've been thinking about the Easton axis
I like the extra penetration of the pierce just not sold on the "outserts" I just bought a v3 needed arrows and that is the only 250 they had in stock at the time

I have no idea about current availability, but below are some 240-275 spine offerings from various manufacturers:
Screenshot_20211201-135835_Sheets~2.jpg

NY12020

FNG
Agree with the others; for hunting i prefer a standard .246 diameter to avoid the half outs. I currently have about 4 halfouts/points lost somewhere inside my Rinehart 3d targets from a buddy who uses the Victory 204's; they break off right at the back edge of the sleeve any time there is a hard impact.

I do use GT Pierce arrows for 3D; they are an awesome arrow for target shooting. I use glue in points so the have been very durable for me. Also using the standard GTO nocks which have help up great as well.