GT XT hunter arrow setup?

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I am going elk hunting this September in Co, I need new arrows and thought about the Gold Tip XT hunter 75-95, cut at both ends, 28.5" long with 2" blazers and a solid white wrap, 100 grain Wac'ems with a 50 grain weight, this would make them about 450 grain with 14% foc, these should be flying around 285-290 fps, there are other arrows but this setup gets me around the weight I want with a good foc, I am open to other ideas from you experienced elk slayers.

Vandal 44

WKR
The Gold Tip XT is a good arrow. The nice thing about Gold Tip is their raw shaft are longer than almost any other company so you can cut and 1" off the back and 2" off the front and have a very straight and consistent arrow.

What you have there will work great. You may want to look at the GT Kinetics too. They are a great arrow and I think are mostly over looked.

OP
miller1

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
What you have there will work great. You may want to look at the GT Kinetics too. They are a great arrow and I think are mostly over looked.

I looked at them but i couldn't get as much foc with them, maybe not that big of a deal.

SDHNTR

WKR
sounds like a good set up at 60 lbs. Much more than that and you will want a .300 spine arrow. Fine choice of arrow, just might be a bit weak with all that weight up front, depending on your poundage.

OP
miller1

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
sounds like a good set up at 60 lbs. Much more than that and you will want a .300 spine arrow. Fine choice of arrow, just might be a bit weak with all that weight up front, depending on your poundage.

I am shooting 70lb, I wondered about the extra weight up front if that would weaken it to much with a 340 spine.

I looked at them but i couldn't get as much foc with them, maybe not that big of a deal.

I used them with the HIT insert and really liked the preformence. You can go with the brass insert and a 125 head and that should get the FOC up there. Good luck.

SDHNTR

WKR
I am shooting 70lb, I wondered about the extra weight up front if that would weaken it to much with a 340 spine.

Slightly weak with a .340 spine. Good shape with a .300. I shoot a very similar arrow, GT Velocity Pros. Same length, 145 gr up front (20 gr insert weight + 125 gr head) and .300 Gold Tips tune like a dream.