Guess I’m missing something

AKBorn

WKR
Another good read put out by a group of concerned physicians, with the mitigation measures they recommend that we all put in place now at the end of the article...this quote gets your attention right at the start:

"Everything we do before a pandemic will seem alarmist. Everything we do after will seem inadequate.”

– Michael Leavitt

Rich M

WKR
Just got back to Idaho from FL

We’ll see how it’s going here as we’ve been gone for a week.

I get it maybe it’s a smidge worse than the regular ol flu but the media and people’s knee jerk reaction to panic makes me very nervous.
it also seems there is no way to get clear info without all the fear mongering click bait articles and too many people have watched Armageddon like movies to keep a calm level head and think through the problems in front of them.

We’ve got 3 young boys take care of and I just cringe at the fact that I have to bring them up in this kind of panicked, half cocked society but hopefully I’ll raise them to be leaders that think for themselves and not cowards that let someone else tell them what to think

Look at it as the time to teach them - they learn most of how they will act from watching you. You go off an a tangent and so will they. You get mad about stuff, so will they. Use the time wisely.

We get like this down here every hurricane - not hurricane season but when the storm is barreling down on the peninsula. Folks do what they gotta do in order to feel ready. Some leave and the roads reflect that, others (like myself) hunker down cause they can;t be gone from work for 2 weeks every time it rains and blows - plus I want to be home to take care of any damage immediately.

Folks had leaky roofs for months after one of the storms. I took care of my uncle's roof damage with a sandwich - visqueen, tarp, and some fir strips (every 16 inches) - lotsa folks told me I was overdoing it. Well, we had 2 more hurricanes after that first one (2004) and guess who's patch lasted thru 2 hurricanes and didn't leak a drop. You will do your kids a good one to teach em how to do stuff properly (not how some knucklehead imagines things) and how to react without losing their cool.

AKBorn

WKR
Our kids school closed, mayor had nothing to do with it. It was a school board decision. Wonder what is different there?

I'm not sure, but it looks like they finally woke him up. NY Times announced that MYC schools now closed starting Monday and through at least April 20...glad someone got him to see things better.

MattB

WKR
That's 20k people per state. Last year our city had an influx of almost 80k new people that moved here......one city.......just last year. Would the 20k across each state even be noticeable? Nature has always had a way to keep populations in check for every species. Why should humans be any different? There's emotional thinking on this type of thing, and then there's logical thinking on this type of thing. Ya, I know.........."you have no heart". No, it's just very easy for me to separate the two, and the logical side is not emotional, and the emotional side is not logical.

There is a reason that on Star Trek they didn't let Spock make any important decisions.

I must be missing something too? I’m super confused. Supposedly a Zombie apocalypse but I have yet to know anyone or come Across anyone at work (work for a fire department) who has the zombie plague.

One of the major hospitals in Denver said they had 1 patient according to a nurse I talked to when I went there. But according to the media hospitals are packed to the gill and that’s why we are shutting down schools and canceling everything.

It’s sad people panic so bad for this. Imagine what would happen if something bad really did happen.

A nurse on FB said Castle Rock is overrun. This all is so weird.

I have to drive in to Spokane to grocery shop on a large scale. Friday I grabbed a couple packs of hot dogs for the kids and some pancake mix on my way through. Saturday I had to run to the hardware store. Now mind you that between the two trips the government closed school till April 24th statewide. I figured I would roll through the store and see how bad it is.

The stores are CLEANED out. Looks like a flash mob ripped them off.

The good news is that now is THE time for a bath remodel. The home improvement stores are EMPTY!
I'm a whiz at tile showers, full house remodels, etc.... I also travel cheap and work expensive. :^)

EVERYONE seems on the same line of thought concerning the way this is being handled. There should be travel restrictions from other countries. There should be the local actions taken to distance people from one another. All of this is expected and on par with the right thing to do until we figure this out. However, nothing to date should have people and the media building this to the proportions they have. Everyone is free to believe as they wish. But, at this point, this has been nothing but an example of engineered hysteria.

It is simply ignorant and foolish for people to act the way they are over this.

Brendan

WKR
Massachusetts just closed every school for 3 weeks minimum, and every restaurant and bar to any dine-in service for 4 weeks, and banned gatherings larger than 25 people across the state.

Not saying it's a bad decision, but I'm scared to think about the small business owners that could lose their livelihoods over this one.

One wonders if the hysteria and policies aren’t going to kill more people than the virus. There is good documentation of the death toll of the Great Recession. People will certainly die that otherwise wouldn’t have.

Rob5589

WKR
Massachusetts just closed every school for 3 weeks minimum, and every restaurant and bar to any dine-in service for 4 weeks, and banned gatherings larger than 25 people across the state.

Not saying it's a bad decision, but I'm scared to think about the small business owners that could lose their livelihoods over this one.
Happened here today as well. People will be hurting financially. Businesses will take some major hits. Hope they have plenty of TP to wipe away the tears shed because they didn't save for a rainy day.

Yep. Gonna be a lot of foreclosure's and lose incurred by Small Business, caused by this hysteria. Not to mention the 401K losses to those ready to retire. Talked to a guy Friday that said he had lost over a half million in the market due to this. It is sad when you imagine yourself in the shoes of those close to retiring. A lifetime of planning, saving, etc... washed away in very little time. Losses would have been severe without the help of the media influenced hysteria. But, stability makes for bad news and would surely re-elects the president they despise.

CDK

FNG
Something to think about.
So covid-19 been in China for about 3 months. China is much more densely populated then the US with a population of just under 1.5 billion. To date 3,213 corona deaths in China. Do the math.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I cant see how the numbers from china can be considered in anyway reliable. Is there any doubt at all the communist party wouldnt fabricate numbers to put a postive spin on their response? Isnt this the same Regime that we been accusing of currency manipulation and every type of piracy imaginable in regards to technology and information?

isu22andy

WKR
You think China test everyone that has it ? How are we even getting the REAL info and stats on how deadly it is unless EVERYONE is tested ? How can you rely on data unless EVERYONE in that data set is tested ?

AT Hiker

FNG
Something to think about.
So covid-19 been in China for about 3 months. China is much more densely populated then the US with a population of just under 1.5 billion. To date 3,213 corona deaths in China. Do the math.......

China shut down after 400 cases were discovered. The used fire trucks to spray “Lysol” in the streets. We are not China, no one is.

jmez

WKR
You think China test everyone that has it ? How are we even getting the REAL info and stats on how deadly it is unless EVERYONE is tested ? How can you rely on data unless EVERYONE in that data set is tested ?

You aren't. If you had the real stats it would show this virus to be far less deadly than is currently being claimed and quoted in doomsday scenarios.

You aren't. If you had the real stats it would show this virus to be far less deadly than is currently being claimed and quoted in doomsday scenarios.

How would you explain what’s happening in northern Italy?

pk_

WKR
Its strange. Grocery store next to my house looks like apocalypse, the one 15 mins away looks normal. Idk what to think. I did hear that at least some grocery stores will be closing. Don’t know when or how long.

I have 5 deer and 3 pigs in the freezer, 5 chickens laying eggs daily and some of the most productive saltwater fishing out my back door. We won’t starve but IDK what the real threat here even is TBH.