Guess I’m missing something

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Do you ever get tired of being such a blow hard?

I'm not the one that posted your statement........that was you. If you actually believe that being logical and rational is being a blowhard........then no I never get tired of that. But doesn't operating solely off of emotion get tiring? That's what eventually breaks most people.

So, instead of posting insults.....why not try to argue the point you made versus what I posted???

No idea what you mean with that link.

In Italy the death rate is much higher than it is in China. Scarier still is the reasoning—a medical system that is overrun. People are dying who otherwise could be saved. And unless you can say that you trust China’s information, you might consider looking at what’s happening in italy as a real possibility for the US in the coming weeks.

ODB

WKR
No idea what you mean with that link.

In Italy the death rate is much higher than it is in China. Scarier still is the reasoning—a medical system that is overrun. People are dying who otherwise could be saved. And unless you can say that you trust China’s information, you might consider looking at what’s happening in italy as a real possibility for the US in the coming weeks.

Is it not interesting that there is essentially a massive, suppressed population of people from one area of the world with a virus issue that do business in a very specific area of Italy?

the USat large will look like Seattle, not Italy.

Is it not interesting that there is essentially a massive, suppressed population of people from one area of the world with a virus issue that do business in a very specific area of Italy?

the USat large will look like Seattle, not Italy.

I hope so but looking at the numbers I’m not optimistic. We’re in the early stages and we acted a little late on taking drastic measures. When the rest of the country looks like Seattle, what will seattle look like?

Look at the age structure in the country of Italy. Also look at the age distribution of the deaths in Italy.

Age distribution may be a factor, but I don’t think it’s enough to explain what’s happening there. The age distribution of deaths is still scary. 40 and 50 year olds are dying. In the US we have already two ER docs in the ICU—one in his 40s the other 70s. Idk about you but 40s is extremely young to be at risk of dying from a disease. Very few things out there that can do that at the potential volume this virus could do it.

ODB

WKR
I hope so but looking at the numbers I’m not optimistic. We’re in the early stages and we acted a little late on taking drastic measures. When the rest of the country looks like Seattle, what will seattle look like?

Better than anywhere else in the world. Seattle has some of the very best research facilities in the world - I know many people within several systems there who I keep in contact with almost daily. Don’t panic, wash your hands, stay apart from people.

Better than anywhere else in the world. Seattle has some of the very best research facilities in the world - I know many people within several systems there who I keep in contact with almost daily. Don’t panic, wash your hands, stay apart from people.

I really hope so. We have some time to get our crap together on the health care front. No inside info on Seattle, but in my hospital a couple weeks ago the ICU was completely full, zero corona there. And that is a relatively frequent occurrence across the country. Yes we are incredibly advanced technologically, and our emergency/trauma care is second to none in my opinion, but the shortage will be in basic resources like hospital beds and ventilators. I think your view is optimistic and maybe realistic, but for that to happen hospitals across the country need to get their crap together ahead of the crapstorm that is coming.

Fatcamp

WKR
Age distribution may be a factor, but I don’t think it’s enough to explain what’s happening there. The age distribution of deaths is still scary. 40 and 50 year olds are dying. In the US we have already two ER docs in the ICU—one in his 40s the other 70s. Idk about you but 40s is extremely young to be at risk of dying from a disease. Very few things out there that can do that at the potential volume this virus could do it.

You have no idea what comorbidities are present in either of those doctors.

Something no one is talking about, since it doesn't contribute to the almighty COVID numbers.

How many people have died or had significantly worse than usual outcomes because the system is overburdened? How many more will die or wind up with permanent and significant deficits?

You have no idea what comorbidities are present in either of those doctors.

True. Plenty of people without comorbidity in their 40s and 50s are getting sick though. And emergency medicine is one of the most physically demanding jobs in medicine, not like these dudes are sitting on their butts all day.

jmez

WKR
Very few 40-50 year olds are dying. There are young Doctors every year that die of complications to influenza. You can't use worst case scenario numbers on one end and outliers on the other. One young Dr. in ICU sucks but does not a crisis it make.

The 70 and above age group is where the real problem is. That is also to be expected.

MattB

WKR
Yep, that way they could all feel good......while their nations collapsed around them. ;)

And just like Spock........"That doesn't make logical sense". But hey........we all feel good.

Like most things in life, the best outcomes come from a decision-making process that incorporates a variety of perspectives (the US Constitution is a great example). I think it fair not to trust the perspectives of people who immediately invalidate any perspective that doesn't align with theirs.

Broomd

WKR
Look at the age structure in the country of Italy. Also look at the age distribution of the deaths in Italy.
The followong stats don't account for 40-50 y/o that med staff prioritized with triage resources. That would affect stats.

Average Age of Italians Who Have Died From Coronavirus is 81.
Jim Hoft by Jim Hoft March 15, 2020

It appears Coronavirus is a Deadly Senior’s disease

The Italian government released numbers on the coronavirus last week.
There were 1,809 new cases of the deadly disease reported in Italy on Sunday.

The Italian government also recently released the percentage of deaths by age group.

90+ years old: 6% of deaths
80 – 89 years old: 42% of deaths
70 – 79 years old: 35% of deaths
60 – 69 years old: 16% of deaths

These numbers came from the World Health Organization YouTube page.

Rob5589

WKR
1. Italy waited too long to do something
2. Italians gather together daily
3. There are a large number of elderly there

Rob5589

WKR
Something no one is talking about, since it doesn't contribute to the almighty COVID numbers.

How many people have died or had significantly worse than usual outcomes because the system is overburdened? How many more will die or wind up with permanent and significant deficits?
Nobody will know until it is over. Where I work, actual covid is not significantly impacting the system. What is impacting it is the usual idiots being more stupid than normal. We literally have homeless, psychs, etc, calling 911 and saying they have covid or answering in the affirmative to the screening questions. Simply because they think it gets them a bed inside and 3 squares a day for a couple weeks.