Guide light vs guide light mt

maverick351

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious on popular opinions but I have the availability to go with either pack frame. I am just curious would there be any benefit to staying with a guide light versus going to the guide light Mt? I have the availability to get a guide light framed pack right now but if I go with the guide light Mt in the pack I want I have to wait till February or March. Is there a big enough difference to justify that much longer of a wait?

UtahJimmy

WKR
I have used a guide lite for 3 seasons now. Definitely recommend! My buddy picked up the new one and from what I can tell the only difference is the waist belt. Seems like it would flex/fit more comfortably with the added sections and increased padding, but I haven't used it with a load.

I also liked that the bag has a buckle to get it off the frame without having to undo the load lifting straps.

I'm not sure if upgrade just for the belt, but if you don't have to have it now, wait until the spring and get the new and improved.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
Wait till Xmas time or early Q1 all retailers will be clearing out their OG Guidelight frames. I would expect to see 30% off or more

strand

Lil-Rokslider
I used the NICE frame for a few years before 'upgrading' to the guidelight. I liked the NICE but had to try the latest and greatest. I loved a couple of the new bags that came with the guidelight, particularly the pintler, but the guidelight frame was not my favorite. I haven't used the guidelight MT, but based on my experience with the guidelight and how quick Mystery Ranch replaced it, I would wait for the MT.

OP
M

maverick351

Lil-Rokslider
How long do they typically run a frame for before an upgrade? Is the 300 vs 500 cordura anythibg to be concerned with? I own a guide light currently and am very happy but havent tried out the mt to ser if ita a big difference. The biggest thing i saw is how it connects bag to frame for load shelf but I never noticed it being a hassle to access. I know they are also upgrading the metcalf this upcoming year from talking to them but I'm not sure if the things they listed are that big of an upgrade to me.

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
i have used both guide light and guide light MT. i would definitely wait for the guide light MT. it's a wash between the two until you throw 50+ lbs in the bag and the guide light belt performs very poorly. the guide light MT addresses the short falls of the guide light. that's my personal experience...others may differ

OP
M

maverick351

Lil-Rokslider
I guess thats my issue. Ive had a lot of weight in mine without any issues but I have read where it didnt work as well for others and that concerns me.

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
could be my build...not sure. i spent hours on the phone with MR and sent them pictures and they tried and tried to help me get it fitting better. there was nothing we could figure out to get it to ride better under heavier loads. the belt would sag down onto my glutes and cause pain in my hip flexers and lower back. i did take a small towel and stuff it around the lumbar pad and that seemed to help but it was not a logical solution.

i could literally put 100 lbs in the beartooth (guide light MT) and it felt ions better than 60 lbs on the guide light.

I've packed multiple loads of super-heavy moose meat on my GL frame. A friend has used his even more. Both of us have had excellent results with our frames. My GL is very comfortable for me and I can easily do without additional padding or sectioning of the belt.

Trial153

WKR
Moose, Caribou, elk, mule deer ...packed them all out with a guide lite frame. No issues with the belt at all.

both are great. I don't have enough miles on the MT to say how much better it is or comment on durability but I like the feel more than my GL. Built in molle on the belt. Better better design / feel. New buckles are a bit of a pain in the ass. On balance, if I didn't need a pack now, I might be inclined to wait to get the slight benefit of the upgrades and have the newest pack. On the other hand, and as mentioned above, I would expect some pretty deep discounts on new and used GL frames and into 2021, when MR has said they will be switching over the whole hunting line to the MT.

OP
M

maverick351

Lil-Rokslider
Well I do know that I can wait but also I know most stores dont have much inventory and won't be getting much more in. I'm keeping my eyes open right now for a Metcalf.