Guide Questions

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m recording a podcast with a guiding buddy of mine in a couple days. Talking all things guiding and the life. Shoot over any questions you want to ask us about getting into guiding or the act of guiding. Or anything outfitting related. Doors open!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZGUY

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Jordan I’m not a guide but I’m a business owner so maybe these can get you started. What type of traits are guides looking for in potential new hires (apprentice guides?), is there a general path that most follow like guide school then seeking open positions with established guides? Or can you just go apprentice with a guide without doing the school? It’s probably different with every state I would imagine. What are the things that distinguish the best guides (people skills, toughness, knowing how to best approach clients differently). Hope that helps!

svivian

WKR
Who do you hire! A stone cold killer who puts guys on animals 100% of the time with a shit poor attitude or the nicest guy in the room who can’t find anything in the woods? No in between, one or the other, which in the opinion of the guide is better.

Zappaman

WKR
What's the offer? That is my question.

I find the FEW guides I've used (in 20 years) have different "offers" but most don't put the details out. My perfect guide is someone who gets you on the animal... then shuts up. It's my hunt once in position. If I ask questions during the stalk- give me advice... not orders. If I miss my shot, hunt is over- you get paid.

I get there are novice hunters out there, but I hate guides who think we all are dumb-asses (I've killed more elk the 1/2 my guides I've used). And if you're providing food- make me STEAKS (not spaghetti)!!!

I have no problem going "budget" and bringing my own booze, sleeping in a tent... all cool for me. Or full service is also fine... but then MAKE it full service please! Let's all just get clear on what is and isn't offered. I'll dress my own elk too please.

I'm probably the worst damn customer for guides since I'm a seasoned hunter. I want you to just find the "spot" and let me do the rest. I'm cool with some ameneties if I'm paying for them, but don't cut corners, ok? Also, just ONE guy (maybe two)... don't need your posse along for the hunt please.

One old hunter's opinion anyway ;)

cgasner1

WKR
Who do you hire! A stone cold killer who puts guys on animals 100% of the time with a shit poor attitude or the nicest guy in the room who can’t find anything in the woods? No in between, one or the other, which in the opinion of the guide is better.

If I was hiring a guide I would go with the killer who cares about his attitude. If I was looking for a nice guy to hunt and hang around with there are a lot cheaper options and I would just be hunting with my buddies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk