Guide to First Elk Hunt

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
Fellow flatlander here. I'm in Colorado right now doing a diy hunt and plan on doing a recap post by next Monday with all the ways I screwed up. Look for it and learn from my mistakes.

Fellow flatlander here. I'm in Colorado right now doing a diy hunt and plan on doing a recap post by next Monday with all the ways I screwed up. Look for it and learn from my mistakes.

I’ll look forward to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerbdog

WKR
Great great advice from the Doc above, carrying your pack with weight in it, with the boots you intend to wear, is such a good idea for preparing. I'd try and get up to 85-90 lbs by the time you go (I assume that's what the full amount of sand will come in around) and be able to carry that for 2 miles. It will get you prepared for the chance you are successful and will let you know any weaknesses in your boots with heavy weight before you find out while your side hilling down a steep decline with a dead elk on your back. If you dont find success it will just make the weight you DO carry for camp / day pack seem trivial. The other gem he dropped was not bringing someone who isn't as prepared as you are.... my brother this year did no prep work and had boots that were way way too soft for carrying out dead elk parts.... he did not have a good time and watching his boots and ankles on the steep decline was cringy. Felt bad for the guy but... he knew it was coming.

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
I have no interest here, and assuming archery, but IMO https://www.elk101.com/ would be good money spent for the whole class. You'll waste more money than that on gear you won't ever use. Corey kills a LOT of elk.

Getting in shape cannot be understated. You can't hunt with your head down gasping for air. And even if you are in shape, you will still be pushed physically. Wear your boots, with a weighted pack, sidehills, descents, rocks...toughen your feet. Try to get blisters and heal them before you leave.

Finally, just go! It will never be perfect and there is only one way to learn. Use the gear you have and make it work. Don't get married to a spot you fall in love with on a map. Be flexible and go find the elk. You'll find out super quick if chasing elk is your thing. If it is, you'll think about it year round. One close encounter with a screaming bull is enough to hook you for life.

I don’t want to hijack TN731’s thread, but the footwear seems to be a very important requirement. What’s the best boot/sock options?

Gerbdog

WKR
I don’t want to hijack TN731’s thread, but the footwear seems to be a very important requirement. What’s the best boot/sock options?

Footwear is huge, but that's a rabbit hole that goes way down, everyones got an opinion on it and there's lots of options out there. The only single requirement is make sure you get something that has proper fit and then make sure you spend a good solid amount of miles, with weight, in them to break them in. Dont show up to your hunt with a brand new pair of boots. Fit Fit Fit Fit. Each brand is different. I prefer a boot that has a stiff sole and stiff ankle support for steep terrain and carrying weight but.... everyone's got a preference here. Did I mention to make sure the fit is proper?

You can read and study till your eyes fallout...you get a lot of knowledge like that but no experience. Buy a leftover cow tag and go hunt and get some on the ground experience. I know I wouldn't wanna have spent 3-5 points on a bull tag and it be my 1st elk hunt. YMMV

I appreciate everyone’s help. I’m gonna try and deep dive into this forum and get a list of 5 or so boots and go from there.

As far as using 5-6 points on my first elk hunt, well I’m too tight for that. Haha. I’d much rather us those points to help a party with a more experienced hunters get into a high demand zone....as long as I get to tag along

Gerbdog

WKR
I appreciate everyone’s help. I’m gonna try and deep dive into this forum and get a list of 5 or so boots and go from there.

As far as using 5-6 points on my first elk hunt, well I’m too tight for that. Haha. I’d much rather us those points to help a party with a more experienced hunters get into a high demand zone....as long as I get to tag along

Hoosier i left you a PM with the boots I use, I realize you probably cant reply cause of your post count but no worries and cheers.

OP
TN731

TN731

FNG
Again guys, thanks for all of the advice. I currently wear danner high ground boots, I have them in all insulation grades and I absolutely love them. However, I had never walked a hillside with 80lbs on mag back in them. I’m planning on hitting the gym hard soon. I have been in the gym since I was in junior high and I played sports through college, so I am pretty well versed on fitness and mental toughness. I need to shed a few pounds and get into mountain fitness though. I understand what y’all have said about finding the right hunting partner. I don’t want someone that I have to talk into going. I want someone as pumped about it as I am. Rockslide has been a tremendous help so far. Thanks guys!

Cmcgruder

FNG
I got almost 15 years out of my last danner elk hunting boots! Highly recommended!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk