Guide vs. DIY Kentucky 2nd week bull firearm

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I'm on here daily reading and I'm not asking for special spots but I drew a 2nd week bull firearm tag for Kentucky. I normally DIY archery hunt out west and have no experience elk hunting Kentucky, it was always just a dream. After calling and reading on here I'm noticing the population is down tremendously from where it used to be. I have no issues paying for a guide and I'm also all set for DIY. Please share any pros/cons or PM me. I'm little leary on guides so post up your good and bad stories just don't try to lie to knock down your competitors. I'll be researching a bunch to pick my preferred units and will likely get a guide once I find the right one but I'm not opposed to DIY. Thank you for your time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MLB in TN

FNG
Depends on where you're from and if you can spend some significant time scouting. You are correct, in that the population is down, combined with the fact that the herd has become alot more educated over the last 10 years. In reality, you would need to spend most weekends in late Aug and September in your draw area to familiarize yourself with the area and locate some bulls. Also, the animals will likely receive pressure during the first week and you will need a plan B,C, D... Long story short, the DIY route is great and more satisfying if you can allocate the required time. If not, these local guides know the animals and where they like to hide, and are more than worth their fee.

OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on where you're from and if you can spend some significant time scouting. You are correct, in that the population is down, combined with the fact that the herd has become alot more educated over the last 10 years. In reality, you would need to spend most weekends in late Aug and September in your draw area to familiarize yourself with the area and locate some bulls. Also, the animals will likely receive pressure during the first week and you will need a plan B,C, D... Long story short, the DIY route is great and more satisfying if you can allocate the required time. If not, these local guides know the animals and where they like to hide, and are more than worth their fee.
That's what I was thinking. It's still atleast 6 hours closer then I've ever hunted for elk and just from talking with a few outfitters what they charge is priceless.

MLB in TN

FNG
Do you have a specific area in mind? I've got a friend that guides in the very southeast corner of the state. Not sure if he's booked up for 2nd week or not. Depending on the area you draw, I can check with him to see if he's available if you're interested.

I responded to your PM/email.. I can possibly help, but would need to ask you some questions.. I have no doubt that I could save you a lot of frustration. thanks

OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have a specific area in mind? I've got a friend that guides in the very southeast corner of the state. Not sure if he's booked up for 2nd week or not. Depending on the area you draw, I can check with him to see if he's available if you're interested.
I don't have anything specifically picked out yet I'm just researching and compiling info to get my preferences in for the second draw.

Hey guys, I'm on here daily reading and I'm not asking for special spots but I drew a 2nd week bull firearm tag for Kentucky. I normally DIY archery hunt out west and have no experience elk hunting Kentucky, it was always just a dream. After calling and reading on here I'm noticing the population is down tremendously from where it used to be. I have no issues paying for a guide and I'm also all set for DIY. Please share any pros/cons or PM me. I'm little leary on guides so post up your good and bad stories just don't try to lie to knock down your competitors. I'll be researching a bunch to pick my preferred units and will likely get a guide once I find the right one but I'm not opposed to DIY. Thank you for your time.

I'm from ct, I hunted unit 2 last year 2nd week bull. I paid a guide to stay in his cabin and hunted by ourselves for the week. Drove down 1 weekend to do some scouting with guide a few weeks prior to hunt. Feel free to give me a call and I'll give you whatever help I can. 203-702-3972