Guided Elk Hunt Questions

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few small questions on going elk hunting with a guide, it is a 2:1 ratio and there will be at least 5-6 of us hunting from a camp/lodge.
We drew Bull tags in Colorado for 4th rifle and the outfitter does both private as well as BLM lands, I see that I cant use my camo blaze orange in Colorado, what does everybody use in solid blaze orange?
Our deer hunting is generally under the same conditions except altitude so I have warm gear for stands and posting, is there anything that I have to have clothes wise that is unique for Elk?
I still have to have some more conversations with the outfitter, but does the guides provide the spotting scopes?
The outfitter claims most shots are around 300 yards but one hunter took a bull at 634 yards. I am hoping the guides provide this as I don't want to start buying one time purchases.
I suspect the animals will be mostly silent at that time of the year, but again does the guide do the calling ?
For my day pack I will have some essentials like a first aid kit, Energy Bars, space blanket, Hydration bladder, spare knife, spare headlamp, rain gear, 2nd set of gloves, compass & laminated map of area, binoculars and rangefinder. Am I missing anything critical that is unique to western hunting.
I have done deer hunts in other states and Canada so I feel somewhat prepared/outfitted already. But I am starting my walks with a loaded pack and want it as close as possible to what I will be carrying later this year.

mlgc20

WKR
Boots and socks are way more important out west. Or at least different. Back East, we might wear some heavy insulated socks and a pair of Muck boots. Neither will work for elk hunting. You need socks that can wick moisture (merino wool). And you need comfortable boots that can handle covering miles in varied terrain. Clothes wise, that is the biggest difference IMO.

WRO

WKR
Ask your guide about long range rifles and if they've got some. After some of the shitshows I've personally witnessed, I'd much prefer a client shoot my gun than there's most of the time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
4th season CO.

Solid blaze orange vest is the standard. Get one that is big enough to go over your coat.

>90% chance any precip will be snow. Take rain gear, but use it as a hard shell in a layering system.

A hydration bladder tube will probably freeze on you, so get an insulated tube, or consider going to water bottles in your pack.

The elk will be down on winter range or in the fringe, so not a lot of cover usually, and you will be glassing herds. A spotter isn't needed for the majority of your glassing. Decent 10X binocs will be fine. The guide will probably have a spotter, but just one.

The program is usually, drive to a spot, hike to a spot, sit and glass. Take a lightweight pad to sit on. Once you find a herd, make a plan, and make a stalk. You'll be trying to get in front of the herd for a shot, or using terrain to get as close as you can. There will be no calling. It's all spot and stalk late season.

Stand hunting coveralls or insulated suits may be too warm. These usually aren't high movement hunts, but you will be hiking. Be able to go up or down in your insulation. Have warm boots that are good for hiking. And as mentioned, extra socks.

Be ready for a 400 yard shot, and be ready to pass or get closer. They may provide a laser beam rifle, but you are not a LR hunter/shooter (I'm assuming). Please don't pretend to be one. Most guys can do 400 yards, so stick to that and shoot a rifle you are comfortable with. The one guy that shot a bull at 634 yards either got lucky, or he was practiced. In other words, he was a special case. A bipod would be a good idea, or some shooting sticks. Practice off of them.

Your pack sounds like you have what you will need. Make sure it is big enough to fit your insulation layers if/when you get hot while hiking. Put them on the instant you get to your glassing spot. Don't cool down, then put them on, you'll never warm back up. Especially if it is windy, and it probably will be windy. Your guide will have the stuff your need, you'll just want to carry your personal stuff.

Jeremy

Boonjg

FNG
Boots and socks are way more important out west. Or at least different. Back East, we might wear some heavy insulated socks and a pair of Muck boots. Neither will work for elk hunting. You need socks that can wick moisture (merino wool). And you need comfortable boots that can handle covering miles in varied terrain. Clothes wise, that is the biggest difference IMO.
I agree a good pair of boots are essential!! Sounds like your on the right track.

OP
B

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
Boots & socks I have depending on the conditions but my favorites are a pr of Keen's and my Merrells both I use to do my SoDak pheasant hunts, where we walk all day and many miles. I have a taller set that are insulated plus an old pr of Sorrels.
I figured on the stalking part and the elevation at 6500' is bit higher than we are now. The snow and cold I wasn't concerned about I'm from the snow belt of NY and lake effect is about as bad as it gets snow wise.
On the gun front I'm good with my 30-06 to over 300 yds on deer but they are much smaller game than an Elk. So I picked up a new 300 win mag have only put 120 rounds thru it so far but have gotten it well under an inch on a solid rest at 100 yds, I am working on a longer range now and will finish this within a few weeks and will put at least another 100 rounds thru the gun at this range. My concern is terminal performance on game at longer distances, I am a reloader and have had my 06 loads worked out for 30 years but working on a couple different ones for the 300, still working out how to test expansion and penetration.
I know my limits shooting and agree that you have to be proficient with whatever gun you use.
I hate buying stuff to use only once and I have blaze orange realtree camo set in scent lock that would be perfect out west. I still may wear my set and just wear a hat and cover the pack in solid blaze orange, would that satisfy the rules on orange?

Waterproof matches

On your 300 reloading, you may try some of the lower velocity combos, in the 2800-2900 range. With Nosler bullets, I have had similar results to the manual in my rifle....some of the most accurate 180gr loads with IMR4831 and RL22 are at the lower end of the spectrum. Will be better than your 30-06, but shouldn't feel too much different from a recoil standpoint.
Screenshot_20200613-143146_Samsung Internet.jpg

Overdrive

WKR
You can pick up an inexpensive Blaze orange vest at any Walmart and you need a hat, law requires 500 sq/in of solid Blaze orange. As far as your gear, carry what you need for yourself a guide will carry a spotting scope if the area calls for it. Bino's are all I carry when guiding because a lot of our glassing is done from base camp to make a plan for the next days hunts. Maps? your guide and outfitter should know the area so why carry them with you? The thing I appreciate most from a hunter when I'm guiding them is be honest with me about your comfort level when shooting and how good your conditioning is. If your really comfortable shooting out to 300 yards but not any farther then I know it's my job to get you into that range and make it a better chance of a clean successful kill. I always get a couple guys a year that say they're in excellent shape, well once the hiking starts I find out quickly if it's true. Just go and enjoy the hunt and don't over think it most outfitters and guides know their areas well and enjoy taking their clients out. I know the night before I take out any new hunters in camp for their first day, I'm just as excited and can't sleep in anticipation for the next day.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Boots & socks I have depending on the conditions but my favorites are a pr of Keen's and my Merrells both I use to do my SoDak pheasant hunts, where we walk all day and many miles. I have a taller set that are insulated plus an old pr of Sorrels.
I figured on the stalking part and the elevation at 6500' is bit higher than we are now. The snow and cold I wasn't concerned about I'm from the snow belt of NY and lake effect is about as bad as it gets snow wise.
On the gun front I'm good with my 30-06 to over 300 yds on deer but they are much smaller game than an Elk. So I picked up a new 300 win mag have only put 120 rounds thru it so far but have gotten it well under an inch on a solid rest at 100 yds, I am working on a longer range now and will finish this within a few weeks and will put at least another 100 rounds thru the gun at this range. My concern is terminal performance on game at longer distances, I am a reloader and have had my 06 loads worked out for 30 years but working on a couple different ones for the 300, still working out how to test expansion and penetration.
I know my limits shooting and agree that you have to be proficient with whatever gun you use.
I hate buying stuff to use only once and I have blaze orange realtree camo set in scent lock that would be perfect out west. I still may wear my set and just wear a hat and cover the pack in solid blaze orange, would that satisfy the rules on orange?
You will burn up trying to hike distance in that scent lok suit. A cheap blaze orange vest is under $5, $10 combo gets you the hat as well. If you don't want to spend that for a one time purchase, how did you ever drop the coin on a guided hunt? What taller insulated boots do you have? Sorels are miserable to hike in in that terrain as well. I think you would have been just fine with your 30-06, piles of elk have been killed with them out to 500 yards. We can't stress enough a good pair of boots and quality socks. Light layers, that can be added to or subtracted from. Heavy layers cause you to sweat, sweat causes you to freeze.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I went on my first elk trip 2 years ago with a guide in CO. What everyone else said is good advice. Being from the east the 2 biggest issues were the lack of oxygen,,,lol (Thought I was in good shape) and the distances of the shot (rifle was shooting < MOA and shot enough to keep Federal in business out to about 200 yards). Other things you should bring, gaiters to protect from the snow and brush, a good tripod rest, range finder that shows actual distance when shooting up or down slopes and a good pair of binoculars.

The guides had binocs, scope, range finder, and one had a tripod rest. First off I had a decent pair of older Cabelas Pentax 8x42 binocs. I could see elk but the resolution really wasn't there to tell rack size and points. Looked thru the guides Steiner and Zeiss binocs and saw what people meant by good glass, not critical to have but really helpful. There were times the guides would leave us to glass other areas and I saw some elk at about 500 yards (had my own range finder) but really couldn't clearly see if they were shooters. Guide also saw them and said they were good and should have shot one!

The biggest thing I personally realized was trigger time behind the gun, have a good scope and trigger and a solid rest (whatever it may be tripod, pack, tree, rock). I was shooting a Browning XBolt Speed in 30 06, 180 Federal Trophy Bonded Tip ammo. Trigger was about 4.5 lbs, and I had a Sig Electro scope tied to my range finder.

The guides let us shoot some of their custom guns one afternoon as several of us have never shot something like that. Wow

First thing I did when I got home was swap out the trigger and set at 2.5 lb and switched to a dialable scope. I wasn't comfortable relying on the Sig system, nothing wrong with it but more to go wrong, put it on another gun.

I also bought a Browning XBolt Max Long Range in 300 Win Mag.. Had a hand load developed for it (220 grain Hornady ELD-x), had it verified out to 1000 yards, swapped out the trigger, put the same scope on both rifles with custom dialable turrets (also verified at distance and set for the average elevation of the ranch we will hunt). I will bring both guns this year and use the 300 Win for the longer shots and the 30 06 for when we stalk thru thick brush and expect closer shots.

I also bought a new set of binocs, shooting alot and doing way more cardio!!!!!!!!! Might be a bit overkill but sure is fun setting up and shooting instead of being cooped up because of the corona virus!!!!!!! Wife was a bit mad but all my stuff will eventually go to my boys, who hunt. They were very helpful explaining all this to mom!!!!!!

Lots of info here and I quickly read thru the posts. One recommendation To add, sorry if I already missed, is leg gators. If there is snow you will be happy to wear them. Even getting in and out of a truck to stop, glass, then drive to another spot will be snow melting on your boots/pants. Gators will help from the wet soaking down your pants and socks into your boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like were in the same situation. This year I jumped on a elk hunt in SE CO thats guided. The outfitter sent a list of recommended but not required items. I live in Illinois so I didnt have a bunch of the items he listed. Heres what I did.
Im a crane operator by trade, so I have time to read all day at work. I read the forums up down, left and right. I had to convince my wife, that after dropping 5k on a hunt that I needed a bunch more hunting stuff, that wasnt equipped equipped enough and that my coyote gear for the big fields of Illinois isnt going to kill an elk.
So, here is what im using, starting from scratch.
My Grandpas oĺd Remington 700 in 30-06 he gave me before he passed.
I pillar and glass bedded it. $65
Triggertech trigger $130
Used Nightforce SHV 3-10 $720
Used Nightforce rings $130
Nightforce pic rail $50
Hoffman Explorer boots uninsulated $380
Hoffman 12" Cowboy Pac boots $225
Hoffman coupons -$100
Darn tough hunting socks 7pair $210
Swaro SLC 10x42 $1400
Alaska Guide Creations scout backpack $150
Merino wool tops, bottoms 2pair $300
Frogg togg rain suit $25
Cableas rain suit $10 used.

I have some filson whipcord pants and mackinaw pants im going to wear for bottoms.
I have filson wool shirts, a mackinaw vest and double mackinaw for hiking, sitting. All my stuff is old school wool.

I have only the siri tripod to buy and the adapter for the SLC.

I have a gps and all the small stuff.

Am i forgetting anything?

Wapiti1 did a really good summary of what you should expect. I would add that you need to make sure you have a camelback type water bladder. At altitude a major problem is dehydration that results in headaches from the altitude. You need to be hitting the water way before you are thirsty. If you are not from out west you will be surprised by how steep some of the climbs are so get in good physical shape. That is usually the # 1 limiting factor on guy going Elk hunting is they are not prepared for the 5- 10 miles of hiking at altitude they will do daily. This is not walk to a stand and wait for the elk to come to you hunting. I would practice shooting off of your shooting stix or tripod. It will be rare when you can find a flat place to lie down. Lastly like someone else mentioned it will be cold but you need to layer. You can't wear bibs and walk or you will sweat and get very cold. Good guides will usually have good glass and a spotting scope. They will range the elk for you before you shoot. Don't forget a good bottle of whiskey for the night time stories around the fire about what you saw...….

Wapiti1

WKR
Sounds like were in the same situation. This year I jumped on a elk hunt in SE CO thats guided. The outfitter sent a list of recommended but not required items. I live in Illinois so I didnt have a bunch of the items he listed. Heres what I did.
Im a crane operator by trade, so I have time to read all day at work. I read the forums up down, left and right. I had to convince my wife, that after dropping 5k on a hunt that I needed a bunch more hunting stuff, that wasnt equipped equipped enough and that my coyote gear for the big fields of Illinois isnt going to kill an elk.
So, here is what im using, starting from scratch.
My Grandpas oĺd Remington 700 in 30-06 he gave me before he passed.
I pillar and glass bedded it. $65
Triggertech trigger $130
Used Nightforce SHV 3-10 $720
Used Nightforce rings $130
Nightforce pic rail $50
Hoffman Explorer boots uninsulated $380
Hoffman 12" Cowboy Pac boots $225
Hoffman coupons -$100
Darn tough hunting socks 7pair $210
Swaro SLC 10x42 $1400
Alaska Guide Creations scout backpack $150
Merino wool tops, bottoms 2pair $300
Frogg togg rain suit $25
Cableas rain suit $10 used.

I have some filson whipcord pants and mackinaw pants im going to wear for bottoms.
I have filson wool shirts, a mackinaw vest and double mackinaw for hiking, sitting. All my stuff is old school wool.

I have only the siri tripod to buy and the adapter for the SLC.

I have a gps and all the small stuff.

Am i forgetting anything?

What's a Hoffman coupon? I'm serious, I can't figure out what item this could be.

Gaiters are a good suggestion from many.

Jeremy

Wapiti1

WKR
Just to add some detail to my gear, which may or may not be useful. I wear a layer system in the late season and am comfy down to well below zero.

RULE #1: Leave the truck cold. If you are warm and toasty when you leave the truck, you are wearing TOO MANY LAYERS. You'll overheat in 300 yards and start to sweat. Then you won't want to stop to take off layers, and you'll get to where you're going all wet with sweat, and in 15 minutes you'll be freezing your ass off. Everyone does this. I can't explain it, but you'll do it too.

Bottom: Baselayer that matches the temp, so light, medium or heavy weight longs. Poly or merino blend.
Pants over those are older Icebreaker wool pants. About the same weight as a soft shell pant, but they breath better. When I stop to glass I put on insulated wind pants, or my rain pants. It is amazing how warm you are when the wind is blocked.

Top: Merino T. Light or medium baselayer top. Fleece orange vest. Orange beanie, or touque if you are Canadian, pulled over a curved brim ball cap. That is all I start with at the truck.

In my pack: A hard shell jacket and a down puffy. I have a couple of puffy's. One medium weight, and one heavy. Extra socks. Extra gloves. Half a z-rest pad to sit on. Other stuff I don't need, won't use, but thought I should carry. Standard safety stuff. I don't carry a lot on day hike hunts. Clothes, water, snacks, kill kit, safety kit, that's it.

On my hands: I like medium weight windstopper fleece or a good lightly insulated leather glove (Giv'r or Bob Allen). I have Marmot Precip overmitts in my pack to go over these. Glassing mitts are my best friends.

Feet: 1200gram Cabelas Outfitter boots, or Hoffman Mountain Pacs. The Cabelas are better in steep country since they are normal leather boots. The pacs are warmer, and still climb well.

Gaiters: OR Verglas. If I am wearing the pacs, I tuck my pants, and don't wear the gaiters. My Hoffman's are 18" pacs.

Last comment. If your feet are cold. Loosen your laces when you stop to glass. Blood warms your feet. Tight laces restrict blood flow. You do the math.

Jeremy

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
The Hoffman coupon is the discount code from one of the Hoffman threads on here. I believe its 15% promocode/coupon

When you hunt pheasants the fact that you walk all day is comparing apples to oranges. You need ankle support because you’ll be walking on the edges of your soles instead of flat footed. Boots like Muck boots might be fine in lots of scenarios but since they don’t lace down tight they are worthless in the mountains. That’s just an example. Like others have said your boots are where the rubber meets the road so make sure you have the right tool for the job.

Also, empty as much crap from your day pack as possible. Common mistake is to have too much in pack making it heavy. Have layers, hats etc. but don't overload with multiple knives, Electronics you won't need. If you are hiking in very remote you will be with your guide.