Guided elk Private preferred.

How did it go?
It went well. Outfit was good. There is a decent size hunting cabin for accommodations. Some modern amenities, but still very rustic - generator power, outdoor shitter and whatnot. We got into elk on the first day of hunting. We actually saw a herd of around 1,500 in the distance on a high ridge, but even though they were on our section of private, there was no way we were getting close to 1,500 sets of eyes on a high exposed ridge. Super cool to see, though.

Towards the end of our first day, we found a group of about 20 elk. I was with 2 other hunters and 2 guides at the time. Long story short, one of the other hunters ended up wounding a cow elk in the leg at around 480 yards. When the smoke cleared and we spotted her again, she was standing at around 636 yards. This is much farther then I would normally ever consider shooting, and I wasn't about to take that shot with my 30-06.

One of the guides had a 7mm mag rifle, but the cards weren't exactly in my favor. Totally different right handed rifle (I shoot leftie), no cheek rise, weird eye relief, uncomfortable body position, first elk hunt, only one year of rifle shooting under my belt - I could go on about how this particular rifle and scenario were extremely challenging. In any event, I felt like something had to be done quick (the ethical part was weighing heavy on me), and I took my shooting VERY seriously this year with a lot of self and private training.

I grabbed the rifle, checked my nerves at the door, got my shit together as best I could, steadied my breathing, put the crosshairs on her - slow, steady, squeeze and dropped her at 636 yards. Myself and the hunter who took the original shot came to a gentleman's agreement that I would use this cow elk to fill my tag, given all the factors in play.

So yeah - had a great experience with Cedar Ridge Outfitters. I will likely go DIY in the future, but for a first elk hunt, it was an invaluable experience - and a damn tasty cow elk with a story behind it. I would say I'm pretty hooked at this point. God help me.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
It went well. Outfit was good. There is a decent size hunting cabin for accommodations. Some modern amenities, but still very rustic - generator power, outdoor shitter and whatnot. We got into elk on the first day of hunting. We actually saw a herd of around 1,500 in the distance on a high ridge, but even though they were on our section of private, there was no way we were getting close to 1,500 sets of eyes on a high exposed ridge. Super cool to see, though.

Towards the end of our first day, we found a group of about 20 elk. I was with 2 other hunters and 2 guides at the time. Long story short, one of the other hunters ended up wounding a cow elk in the leg at around 480 yards. When the smoke cleared and we spotted her again, she was standing at around 636 yards. This is much farther then I would normally ever consider shooting, and I wasn't about to take that shot with my 30-06.

One of the guides had a 7mm mag rifle, but the cards weren't exactly in my favor. Totally different right handed rifle (I shoot leftie), no cheek rise, weird eye relief, uncomfortable body position, first elk hunt, only one year of rifle shooting under my belt - I could go on about how this particular rifle and scenario were extremely challenging. In any event, I felt like something had to be done quick (the ethical part was weighing heavy on me), and I took my shooting VERY seriously this year with a lot of self and private training.

I grabbed the rifle, checked my nerves at the door, got my shit together as best I could, steadied my breathing, put the crosshairs on her - slow, steady, squeeze and dropped her at 636 yards. Myself and the hunter who took the original shot came to a gentleman's agreement that I would use this cow elk to fill my tag, given all the factors in play.

So yeah - had a great experience with Cedar Ridge Outfitters. I will likely go DIY in the future, but for a first elk hunt, it was an invaluable experience - and a damn tasty cow elk with a story behind it. I would say I'm pretty hooked at this point. God help me.
Thats great. Nice work!!