Guided hunt application strategy

I know most people are DIYers and I wish I had the time for that but I'm a workaholic for LA county fire. I understand a couple of states give outfitters a select percentage of tags. How would you base your strategy on the information provided? I'd like to have a mixture of archery and rifle hunts. With what I've researched I got my eyes on Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Idaho, midwest(whitetails), south Dakota, and Canada. I would love to hear what your thoughts are. I'm just a whitetail hunter from South Carolina so having to strategize all this stuff is new.

Arizona does not allocate outfitter tags for big game. In other words, there's not an outfitter's pool of available tags in that state. It's all by draw permit only.

OP
E
Arizona does not allocate outfitter tags for big game. In other words, there's not an outfitter's pool of available tags in that state. It's all by draw permit only.
I was looking at using one for the OTC archery draw. I understand the time needed to scout areas and that's something I don't have the time for and am willing to pay for.

Yes, you can hire a licensed guide for all big game permit draw hunts and all OTC big game hunts in Arizona. That goes without saying. If you're looking for a qualified, licensed, personable, experienced Arizona hunting guide, there's a guy down there that I've been hunting with for at least a couple decades and I can refer you to him, if you like.

Check out the early Nevada NR guided mule deer applications in 2023. Better odds than the general draw. I hit for a tag last year luckily in the Big 6 area. Fun hunt. Best of luck, TheGrayRider.

OP
E
Check out the early Nevada NR guided mule deer applications in 2023. Better odds than the general draw. I hit for a tag last year luckily in the Big 6 area. Fun hunt. Best of luck, TheGrayRider.
Nice, my thoughts exactly. Just need to nail down the guide part and I'm set. Seems like such a treasure hunt trying to find good guides. Thank you.

OP
E
Yes, you can hire a licensed guide for all big game permit draw hunts and all OTC big game hunts in Arizona. That goes without saying. If you're looking for a qualified, licensed, personable, experienced Arizona hunting guide, there's a guy down there that I've been hunting with for at least a couple decades and I can refer you to him, if you like.
Absolutely, you know anything about big chino outfitters?

WRO

WKR
I've heard a lot of good about big Chino from several people I think highly of.

G and J in nevada should be on your list as well.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Fitzwho

WKR
No draw in Canada, just have to book early enough with guys to get good dates/areas. I hunted moose and whitetail with Alpine Outfitters in Alberta. Didn’t get a deer and killed a smaller moose day 8 of my 7 day hunt. He worked his and my ass off looking for animals, just didn’t work out for “trophy” animals.

My dad is doing a rifle rut elk hunt in Alberta this September, I can see how that goes and if he recommends those guys afterward.

The Nevada Guided mule deer draw and the New Mexico draw are the only true outfitter draw tags I can think of. You have to have a contract signed with a guide before you can apply in those draws.

You can use an outfitter for public land draw and OTC tags in any state. As well as buy hunts with land owner tags in New Mexico, Nevada, Colorado, and a few others. Utah has a similar system with the CWMU system, but it’s not as prolific as the NM and CO landowner tag system.

OP
E
No draw in Canada, just have to book early enough with guys to get good dates/areas. I hunted moose and whitetail with Alpine Outfitters in Alberta. Didn’t get a deer and killed a smaller moose day 8 of my 7 day hunt. He worked his and my ass off looking for animals, just didn’t work out for “trophy” animals.

My dad is doing a rifle rut elk hunt in Alberta this September, I can see how that goes and if he recommends those guys afterward.

The Nevada Guided mule deer draw and the New Mexico draw are the only true outfitter draw tags I can think of. You have to have a contract signed with a guide before you can apply in those draws.

You can use an outfitter for public land draw and OTC tags in any state. As well as buy hunts with land owner tags in New Mexico, Nevada, Colorado, and a few others. Utah has a similar system with the CWMU system, but it’s not as prolific as the NM and CO landowner tag system.
Def want to jump on some Canada muley and whitetail hunts. Def let me know how the hunt goes. Finding a good outfitter seems pretty challenging so far. Luckily I have some great choices for the Midwest states so far.

WCB

WKR
The strategy should be contact outfitters and figure out the ins and outs of getting a tag to hunt with them....They are going to know how to get you there to hunt. Canada it is basically figuring out who you want to go with and the dates they have open. Some states have different draw structures as you are aware...so you basically book a hunt based on when you "should" draw and sort of have to play the game.

Figure out the hunts that you can do now or OTC with an outfitter and get them booked and do them. OTC easy tags are quickly becoming a thing of the past. Figure out the hunts you are going to have to wait multiple years for and start getting points....Also, make a priority list. Being a Whitetail hunter and considering they are by far the easiest animal to get tags for somewhere that would be my last priority/fall back for years you may not get another tag.

Also, check out hunt auctions through conservation organizations. You can many times find decent hunts and especially with the big orgs like SCI, DSCI (local and national chapters) they are reputable outfitters. For Deer and Elk hunts you probably aren't going to get a deal and pay market price but that is your plan anyways. Some of these hunts the outfitters are booked out multiple years if you called them direct. But, if you buy the auction hunt most are scheduled that year or the next.