Guided Hunts & Dinner

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have been on one guided (gun) hunt and have spoken to other outfitters for gun hunts and it seems that they are all interested in being back at camp well before dark and making sure that their clients are there for supper. They wanted to have dinner around 5:30 to 6:00 p.m. Never understood why they would leave the woods before the twilight as elk were just starting to move again in the evening. What gives?

Wapiti1

WKR
Not sure who you are talking to. I've done several guided archery elk hunts and all have left well before light, maybe gone back to camp for lunch, but never got back before dark. Many dinners were around 10pm after a pretty good hike out. I'd assume the rifle hunts with them would be the same. These hunts were on both private and public ground in CO and NM.

That said, I picked these outfitters carefully, and only after talking with references or trusted friends.

Jeremy

OP
Firehole Hunter

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Those hunts were during the rifle season. Left early in the morning but always were wanting to have dinner at 6:00 p.m. I was naive and never really thought about it at first. The more knowledge gain about elk hunting, I realized that these outfitters/guides were selling an adventure/experience and not an elk hunt.

Personally I leave it up to my clients, I never have lunch in camp, we always pack lunch. Some mornings we leave at light others we leave well before it depends on the day, where the elk are. But as far as dinner I will hunt until last light, but have had clients request going back early. I guide until it’s no longer legal. But if the client wants to go back early they are the ones paying. Anyone who skips evenings everyday has to be afraid of the dark or is lazy. A guide should know they live off of very little sleep. I’ve had many many nights of bed at 1 up at 3. Plus stoking the fire in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njdoxie

WKR
A guide should know they live off of very little sleep. I’ve had many many nights of bed at 1 up at 3. Plus stoking the fire in between.

Yes guiding is durn hard work, I could never stomach it, when I’ve had enough hunting, I’m done, period.

davsco

WKR
yeah i guess the guy who is doing the paying should be allowed to choose what he wants to do. but i sure as crap wouldn't be wasting hunting time back at camp or lodge or whatever.

yeah i guess the guy who is doing the paying should be allowed to choose what he wants to do. but i sure as crap wouldn't be wasting hunting time back at camp or lodge or whatever.

Agreed, some guys just have their ways. My dad knew a guy who was afraid of the dark. He was always back to camp hours before last light or in the truck. Some guys just have different agendas.

Have met guys who don’t believe in a morning hunt, don’t want to hunt lunch time, as a guide you just got to cater to them. You can tell them til ur blue in the face, but it’s their belief or wants. But I would never say ok well it’s 2pm hunts over cause I wanna have dinner at 4.

tntrker

WKR
That would not be a guide for me. In fact, everyone I have ever checked out said what I would expect, "Expect to be gone before daylight and returning in the dark"..

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
I did guided horseback hunt in SW CO 3rd rifle in 18. The norm each day was out by 4:30 AM. Spent anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 hours slipping and sliding up the mountain in the dark on the horse. Third rifle this year had 10" to 20" of snow the entire hunt. My guide had us in our spot by daybreak. Usually rode back after dark. Never had dinner before 7:30 on any of the 5 days I hunted. Spending that kind of money, those kind of days should be the norm.

I would be very disappointed if I was guided and the hunt was over before dark, unless I had shot something or was helping a hunting partner with their kill. Seems that’s what you pay for is a full hunt. But I also realize everyone has different goals on a hunt and some go just for comraderie and not to actually pull the trigger....not me!