Guided Sheep Hunt - packing list and weight critique

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
I just posted up a list of my gear for a 10 day mountain hunt, then realized it was way too long, so I sent it to you via PM instead.

Don’t see any PMs yet but looking forward to checking it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the link in your original post up to date? Nearly 73 lbs still looks pretty darn heavy.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Is the link in your original post up to date? Nearly 73 lbs still looks pretty darn heavy.

Yep but that includes everything worn as well (boots clothes etc). Skin out weight.

Pack weight with water and food around 60.

I went on a sheep hunt 2 years ago. Get as light as you can. I was at 19lbs before food water and rifle. I would look at your pillow. A lighter stove tp instead of wipes and a lighter Anker power pack unless you normally need that much power Even your fake kit seems heavy. The lighter you are the more enjoyable the hunt. Pm me if you want and I'll link my list. Good luck to you. Best experience

Not sure if this’ll work. I took the list I have for a 10 day Wind River High Route traverse I’m attempting this summer and added rifle/spare ammo/optics. Dropped fishing gear/Bear spray and pistol off. Comes to just under 58 lbs for everything (skin out). That didn’t work. I’ll take pics…

Attachments

• 5BAECD25-1F66-4E8F-ABA4-F87FAD892785.png
    5BAECD25-1F66-4E8F-ABA4-F87FAD892785.png
    328 KB · Views: 59
  • C16E6C50-C440-4CB0-91F4-9D3DA96E0832.png
    C16E6C50-C440-4CB0-91F4-9D3DA96E0832.png
    332.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 2E01142F-C064-4E63-B654-8F60DF653474.png
    2E01142F-C064-4E63-B654-8F60DF653474.png
    248.2 KB · Views: 56
That might not be exact but it’s a pretty close approximation. I bet my sheep list wouldn’t be much over one or two pounds heavier all in. Farther south but higher elevation. Similar climate and bugs. My optics are quite a bit lighter, your optics are much nicer.

Last edited:
Switching from the Z-packs single wall to my heavier duty double wall tent (the one I used the most when I lived in AK) would add 2 lbs 2 oz.

Forgive my late night post. I’m staying up to get ready for upcoming night shifts…

Seeing that heavy foam pillow makes my eyes bleed. If a lighter blow up pillow might feel a little balloon like you can always wrap your puffy jacket around it. Your quilt should be warm enough to not need to wear the puffy in bed. I’ve used my S2S Aeros Ultralight for a season and had no trouble. You just need to figure out how much to inflate it. That’s about 1/2 pound of weight saved.

Also, could you get a lighter tripod? Or modify the one you have? So long as the legs accommodate using it while seated or at most kneeling it should work great.

I looked up your tripod. I bet you could lose a pound by removing the bottom 2-3 leg sections and taking a hacksaw to the head handle. It wouldn’t be useful for standing any more. How often do you use it while standing? I have a thread where I massacred my cheap Nikon tripod. I was able to get it down to 17 ounces with no loss of function aside from it is a sitting position only tripod now.

Post #1 paragraph 2 is a description of what I did. Pics are in post #18

Last edited:
OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Forgive my late night post. I’m staying up to get ready for upcoming night shifts…

Seeing that heavy foam pillow makes my eyes bleed. If a lighter blow up pillow might feel a little balloon like you can always wrap your puffy jacket around it. Your quilt should be warm enough to not need to wear the puffy in bed. I’ve used my S2S Aeros Ultralight for a season and had no trouble. You just need to figure out how much to inflate it. That’s about 1/2 pound of weight saved.

Also, could you get a lighter tripod? Or modify the one you have? So long as the legs accommodate using it while seated or at most kneeling it should work great.

All good, appreciate the conversation.

Going to swap the pillow, most likely to an s2s.

Lighter tripod; I thought about a slik 624 which I think offers some weight savings. Hadn’t considered butchering but might. I do use my tripod standing a decent amount so if I did butcher it I’d eventually get something where I could stand.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
S2S UL pillow is the pillow I use as well, I find it very comfy.

I removed the lower legs on my tripod as well (mine was a little short too stand behind anyways), also removed the taller center column (mine came with a short and long)- easy weight to shave. Mine (Sirui) required no "butchering", simply removing the bits which can be put right back on anytime I want.

I also have VA-5 panhead, but also a couple of ballheads. Going to do some practice this summer and see if I could get by with the ballhead. That would shave a full pound (if it works :D)

edited to add- a Pocket Rocket Deluxe is a solid stove at a much lighter weight. I use mine even in the winter (with the addition a copper strip)

Last edited:
OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
S2S UL pillow is the pillow I use as well, I find it very comfy.

I removed the lower legs on my tripod as well (mine was a little short too stand behind anyways), also removed the taller center column (mine came with a short and long)- easy weight to shave. Mine (Sirui) required no "butchering", simply removing the bits which can be put right back on anytime I want.

I also have VA-5 panhead, but also a couple of ballheads. Going to do some practice this summer and see if I could get by with the ballhead. That would shave a full pound (if it works :D)

edited to add- a Pocket Rocket Deluxe is a solid stove at a much lighter weight. I use mine even in the winter (with the addition a copper strip)

I have a snowpeak stove that is very similar to pocket rocket. I’ll pull it out and weigh. I won’t lie though, that Windburner is nice and boils water fast and in an easy to deal with container/set up. We will see how nice vs weight savings.

I’ve got a pro master ball head I need to weigh, going to be hard to switch though as I’m a big fan of the VA5.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Swapped out stove. Will see if that sticks but hard to argue. In theory it’s just for drinks and such and if I get tent bound.

If the Pro Master ball head is significantly lighter (3+ ounces) I’d really consider bringing that instead. I use a ball head on my full size tripod when glassing out of the truck. I find it works really well for a binocular or spotting scope. I adjust the tension so I can move the optic by hand but it doesn’t flop when I let go. If something catches my eye I can quickly tighten it down for a solid steady view. I actually prefer it to a pan head. If my ball head would work with my lighter weight cheap little sitting tripod I’d probably use it.

Clarktar

WKR
List looks very similar to mine- I go in 23. I started a thread in the Sheep forum on things not to bring on a guided hunt. After a lot of feedback and discussion I decided I am bringing my own stove, my own tripod and spotter. Easy way to save weight, but I like the idea of being able to do some glassing of my own. Ditto on having my own stove, want something hot while glassing, don't have to bug the outfitter, etc.

I had a really good option with synthetic insulation a couple of years ago with Nunatak- Apex insulation, completely customizable in regards to fabric, cut, length etc. Sadly it doesn't look like he's doing that anymore. Anyways will be bringing one of his insulated jackets and pants w/ me.

The Hille is a solid shelter, but if you really wanted to shave some weight I've used the Tarptent Stratospire Li enough now that is what I'm bringing- 2 lbs all in. If I already owned the Hille, I'd just take it though :D

Do you have a plan for an unexpected overnight bivy/Siwash? I finally decided I'd bring a lighter down bag (30 degree) and supplement it with a 50 degree syn (Apex) quilt. The quilt would go with me daily and the down bag remaining at camp. With an insulated jacket and pants and the light (12 oz) Apex quilt, I should be able to tough a night out on the side of the mountain. My "sitpad" is going to be a little longer than usual as well just for this scenario.

I'm also bringing my own food. If they have some things that look irresistible, I'll throw them in my pack- but I have my food very dialed in now and not going to change it.

Best of luck man!
Got any more information on the apex quilt that also functions as poncho? Seems like a good idea to just keep in the bag for the unexpected.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got any more information on the apex quilt that also functions as poncho? Seems like a good idea to just keep in the bag for the unexpected.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

it's made by MLD- they offer it in 48 and 38 rating, the poncho hole is optional (it seals up to so you can use it like a quilt w/o any issue

https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/quilts/

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Alright caved and bought a S2S pillow. 3.5 ounces.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
If the Pro Master ball head is significantly lighter (3+ ounces) I’d really consider bringing that instead. I use a ball head on my full size tripod when glassing out of the truck. I find it works really well for a binocular or spotting scope. I adjust the tension so I can move the optic by hand but it doesn’t flop when I let go. If something catches my eye I can quickly tighten it down for a solid steady view. I actually prefer it to a pan head. If my ball head would work with my lighter weight cheap little sitting tripod I’d probably use it.

14cf195b14dd30d2a1d6bb8459da9f51.jpg

ee2760345f8819c78bb05c2cae0b0514.jpg

With ball head
71b55d3564177efb114a4d005e1df409.jpg

14cf195b14dd30d2a1d6bb8459da9f51.jpg

ee2760345f8819c78bb05c2cae0b0514.jpg

With ball head
71b55d3564177efb114a4d005e1df409.jpg

I’d say 7.3 ounces is significant. Have you looked at how hard it would be to shorten it up? That could drop a cool 12 ounces total (counting the use of the ball head) off your original tripod weight. For almost free. Most hardware stores sell rubber feet & such. There is probably one that fits. If you have a caliper I’d try the following.
- sit (or kneel) with your optic mounted. Remember you’ll want it a tad long in case it is below you (downhill) when glassing.

-pull out the legs starting with the top ones.

-see how many leg sections you could do without.

-measure the bottom section with your caliper and find out if there is a cap/rubber foot available.

-remove leg sections and glue caps on with super glue.

Last edited: