Guided Sheep Hunt - packing list and weight critique

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Not sure who your hunting with, but I was told we'll only be bringing 5-6 days of food and be resupplied (if needed). My thought is if that's the case, I'll leave spare base layers, spare charger, etc behind as well. They can bring them in with the resupply- if there is was one.

I weighed the removal of my lower legs and the tall center piece and it shaved a little over 6 oz; that's carbon would be even a little more with aluminum.

My ball head vs the VA-5 is a savings of 10 oz. I still want to do a lot of comparing with the pan head vs the ball head with the spotter (with just bino's the ball head is fine)

I feel the same with ball vs VA5. My ball head has an independent pan so I think I should be okay. Weight savings kind of hard to ignore but I plan on playing with it as much as possible over next few months. Trying to pull together a spring bear trip in early May to test run this new set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Waterproof gloves (kuiu yukon) needed?

Thinking about bringing a set of these:

Not waterproof but hold up well. Have worn daily in commercial construction for years. Anyone else try anything like this? Roughly 2 oz.

In all honesty I don’t think I brought gloves on any AK August-September mountain hunts and I did fine. Can’t say I’d do the same exact thing now. I’d probably bring the same gloves I’d take on a late September elk hunt. Lightweight mechanics gloves or something similar to the gloves you found on Amazon. That’s just me though. @mtwarden has a pretty good point about WP gloves. It would suck to have cold wet hands and bad dexterity.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
I wouldn't waste the money on Kuiu, but a set of rubber waterproof gloves with a wool or synthetic insert isn't a bad idea, especially if you're hunting sheep below the 64th Parallel in August.

Money has already been wasted on them, but good to know. Planning on bringing them.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
obviously in August the weather can vary greatly in the Brooks; last year (2021) hunters got a very good taste of snow and rain :D

That’s with ball head. From original setup to now it 14oz. Pretty significant.

I think from when I first posted to where I’m sitting now I’m almost 5 pounds lighter. Significant.

How’s the stability with your various optics? No wind? Strong wind?

Ask long since my unmodified Slik 635 was marginal with an STX 65 with any real wind. No issues with my Kowa 554 nor SLC 20s or 15s.

Elkangle

WKR
Waterproof gloves (kuiu yukon) needed?

Thinking about bringing a set of these:

Not waterproof but hold up well. Have worn daily in commercial construction for years. Anyone else try anything like this? Roughly 2 oz.

These are super handy gloves for sure, but my hands do sweet in them...9 times of 10 when I'm working on the river this is all I need in the winter

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
These are super handy gloves for sure, but my hands do sweet in them...9 times of 10 when I'm working on the river this is all I need in the winter

I’ve worn them for years commercial construction and they’ve held up well, protect form incidental cuts/scrapes and allow for great dexterity.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
How’s the stability with your various optics? No wind? Strong wind?

Ask long since my unmodified Slik 635 was marginal with an STX 65 with any real wind. No issues with my Kowa 554 nor SLC 20s or 15s.

I have Yet to test. Last week I started really cutting weight and need to test a few things.

Elkangle

WKR
I’ve worn them for years commercial construction and they’ve held up well, protect form incidental cuts/scrapes and allow for great dexterity.

I prefer more of a mechanic glove with a leather palm while hunting but these are right there with them ..along with a liner and an insulated glassing type...Definitely need at least one work style glove for sharp rocks & fires

obviously in August the weather can vary greatly in the Brooks; last year (2021) hunters got a very good taste of snow and rain :D
Is your hunt in the Brooks? I’m pretty sure @schmalzy is going to the Wrangells. I’d go with something warmer in the more northern latitudes as well. My comment was based on the mountains in the southern part of AK.

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
i can vouch for the mechanics wear gloves they worked well in the talkeenta’s last August’s. The kuiu axis gloves did not work as I had hoped.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Bumping up to the top. Feeling pretty dialed in with this setup for now. Might swap line gloves for some thing work gloves like I had posted earlier and am experimenting with a javelin bipod but other than that don’t anticipate any changes.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have the Davros head with the Spartan by chance? If so, let me know your thoughts- I’m getting close to pulling the trigger on one.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Do you have the Davros head with the Spartan by chance? If so, let me know your thoughts- I’m getting close to pulling the trigger on one.

I don’t but I was tempted to try it. Maybe after the trip.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Been back for a few weeks and getting caught up with family and work. Wanted to weigh in (Pun slightly intended) on what I brought. May not hit everything but if you have specific questions feel free to ask.

Want to say I really appreciate all the help that y’all gave me cutting weight. Made the hunt that much more enjoyable.

Tent - Akto - Worked great. Sold for an a Soulo when I got home due to wanting freestanding slightly better snow load capabilities. No issues with the akto though.

Quilt - katabtic flex 15 LW- This thing was awesome. Paired with an xtherm. Very very pleased.

Pack - SG Terminus - no complaints! Handled the weight well. Idk if I could have gotten a whole sheep and all my camp out but it worked great for my half of it. Didn’t run into much rain or snow so didn’t test out waterproof ness much. Would like a better option for storing bladder than in the lid. Have a few things I’m trying right now.

More to follow. Thanks again for joining me on the ride!