Guided with a Boat Yukon or Alaska outfitters

mabrams

FNG
Couple buddies and I are doing a DIY caribou trip and I'm wanting to do a guided moose hunt in the near future (2-3 years out). The reality is being 42 years young and spending half of my life with a bad back has made me realize that I'm not getting younger and this back is not getting any better. I'm thinking the boat hunt as there is no way my back could handle the horses. Do you guys have any recommendations on outfitters that have the boat option. I have seen McMillian, Shockey, Looked at Kawdy and just wanting to spend some time on the computer looking into them some more.
I appreciate your time!

Thanks
Mike

Wapiti1

WKR
Clearwater has a good rep.

I would ask if you have looked at the different types of hunts? Horses are used in northern BC and a bit in the Yukon, but only a couple places in Alaska have them. Argos are used more in northern Canada.

Most Alaska hunts are boat or fly in and hike. The fly in and hike are not like a back pack sheep hunt, they are a fairly low key base camp hunt. You set up camp, and hike to vantage points each day until you find a moose to put the moves on. A good option for a bad back, IMO.

One thing to think about is if a guide can get a power boat on a river, so can the locals in a lot of cases. Fly and float is also an option.

Price will range from $15000-$30000.

If I were going to do it once and do it right I would get on the list with Grizzly Skins of Alaska, Phil Shoemaker as my first choice.

Jeremy