Guidelines for Posting in the Correct Forums

New member. Looking for advice. I am clueless about "posting a thread". I've searched and have not found an instructional on how / what. So, yeah, I probably sound like an idiot...and maybe there are instructions but I missed them, please accept my apology in advance if so. Here goes.

I initiated the "subject" for a FNG post already, but did not "post" because I did not know if I would next be given an opportunity to add descriptive text) when in that process does a window pop up for me to add descriptive text? I don't want to "start a thread" with just a subject headline. Yup, I've never initiated a thread in an online forum before, so I'm clueless.

Secondly, I plan to post a thread asking for input on the "best" online hunting license information websites and I don't see a forum that looks like the natural choice for that. Garmin and Mapping is really a different subject in my mind. Where should I post?

My use of an online hunting website is primarily to identify those hard to find seasons such as early high altitude mule deer hunts in states other than Colorado, along with relevant facts such as preference point process, application deadlines. Having hunted Colorado as a non-resident for decades, I have that state figured out, but after starting to sift through a couple of other states current regulations it is clear that it could take 40 hours of work to get to the bottom of it across all Western states by myself. So, I'm willing to "test" something like "GoHunt" but I don't want to throw money away on the "wrong" online site.

JamesD

FNG
New member. Looking for advice. I am clueless about "posting a thread". I've searched and have not found an instructional on how / what. So, yeah, I probably sound like an idiot...and maybe there are instructions but I missed them, please accept my apology in advance if so. Here goes.

I initiated the "subject" for a FNG post already, but did not "post" because I did not know if I would next be given an opportunity to add descriptive text) when in that process does a window pop up for me to add descriptive text? I don't want to "start a thread" with just a subject headline. Yup, I've never initiated a thread in an online forum before, so I'm clueless.

Secondly, I plan to post a thread asking for input on the "best" online hunting license information websites and I don't see a forum that looks like the natural choice for that. Garmin and Mapping is really a different subject in my mind. Where should I post?

My use of an online hunting website is primarily to identify those hard to find seasons such as early high altitude mule deer hunts in states other than Colorado, along with relevant facts such as preference point process, application deadlines. Having hunted Colorado as a non-resident for decades, I have that state figured out, but after starting to sift through a couple of other states current regulations it is clear that it could take 40 hours of work to get to the bottom of it across all Western states by myself. So, I'm willing to "test" something like "GoHunt" but I don't want to throw money away on the "wrong" online site.
would be interested in forums like this poster suggest. I've used Huntin Fool, Facebook groups, and GoHunt, but always want more info.

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
which forum would be the best to talk about finding or reviews for outfitters in certain units?
Well it would depend on what your hunting,

looking for elk outfitter= elk forum
looking for whitetail outfitter= whitetail forum
looking for mule deer outfitter= mule deer forum
looking for bear outfitter= bear forum

and so on and so forth

Thanks for asking!!

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Looks like your doing fine
Yeah u can yo just done it here
I would post that in the general forum
Sure, just for example, post in the mule deer forum "Trying to identify earl high season mule deer hunt" etc and engage and talk to people....good luck!!

Lately it has come to the attention of several moderators on here that the posting of threads in the "General Forum" which are not suitable for the "General Forum" and are more suitable for the other forums such as "Elk Hunting", "Mule Deer", "Clothing", or "Gear" forums (for example) are becoming increased and the moderators and owners of the site are spending more time moving threads to their proper forum than working on our awesome reviews and being able to police the entire forum.

PLEASE, if you are contemplating posting in the General Forum, and the title of your thread or the body of the post is dicussing "Elk, Mule Deer, etc." please post that thread in the correct Hunting Forum under the correct species.

If your thread is regarding Garmin, maps, GPS, Onx, Basemap etc. (this one seems to be the one i move most) please post it in the "Trail Camera/GPS/Mapping Forum"

If your thread is discussing Firearm Calibers, or "whats the best caliber for this, that and the other", please post in the Firearms Forum.

If your thread is discussing Broad-heads, Arrows, Archery Sights, Crossbows, Cams, etc please post in the Archery Forum, like wise if any of these apply to Traditional Archery then post in the Traditional Archery Forum, however do not post about crossbows, or "wheeled bows" in the traditional archery forum

If your thread is discussing tents, sleeping bags, bivy sacks, hammocks, etc. please post that thread in the "Sleeping Systems" forum

Are you discussing, Merino Wool, Kryptek, Kuiu, First Lite, cotton t shirts, Merino Wool thongs (Ryan's favorite) please post in the "Clothing" forum

and so on and so forth....i don think I have to give examples for every forum etc.

This will help us out immensely and also help the members here out as well, when people are researching hunts, gear, and the like, they can go to the specific forums for whatever they are researching and most likely find several threads on what they are looking for fairly quick.

Please follow these guidelines, if people do not, we will be forced to begin deleting these threads instead of moving them.

If you do have a question as to what specific forum your thread would go under, feel free to ask here and we will direct you as best we can. We do realize there are threads that do not categorize into specific forums, and that is what the General Forum is suppose to be for.
Hello I'm new to site and looking to purchase some used gear to get started. I can't reply to classified ad's (WTS) until I have several post is this correct ? Thanks guys for a great site ..Trans Yank

Lately it has come to the attention of several moderators on here that the posting of threads in the "General Forum" which are not suitable for the "General Forum" and are more suitable for the other forums such as "Elk Hunting", "Mule Deer", "Clothing", or "Gear" forums (for example) are becoming increased and the moderators and owners of the site are spending more time moving threads to their proper forum than working on our awesome reviews and being able to police the entire forum.

PLEASE, if you are contemplating posting in the General Forum, and the title of your thread or the body of the post is dicussing "Elk, Mule Deer, etc." please post that thread in the correct Hunting Forum under the correct species.

If your thread is regarding Garmin, maps, GPS, Onx, Basemap etc. (this one seems to be the one i move most) please post it in the "Trail Camera/GPS/Mapping Forum"

If your thread is discussing Firearm Calibers, or "whats the best caliber for this, that and the other", please post in the Firearms Forum.

If your thread is discussing Broad-heads, Arrows, Archery Sights, Crossbows, Cams, etc please post in the Archery Forum, like wise if any of these apply to Traditional Archery then post in the Traditional Archery Forum, however do not post about crossbows, or "wheeled bows" in the traditional archery forum

If your thread is discussing tents, sleeping bags, bivy sacks, hammocks, etc. please post that thread in the "Sleeping Systems" forum

Are you discussing, Merino Wool, Kryptek, Kuiu, First Lite, cotton t shirts, Merino Wool thongs (Ryan's favorite) please post in the "Clothing" forum

and so on and so forth....i don think I have to give examples for every forum etc.

This will help us out immensely and also help the members here out as well, when people are researching hunts, gear, and the like, they can go to the specific forums for whatever they are researching and most likely find several threads on what they are looking for fairly quick.

Please follow these guidelines, if people do not, we will be forced to begin deleting these threads instead of moving them.

If you do have a question as to what specific forum your thread would go under, feel free to ask here and we will direct you as best we can. We do realize there are threads that do not categorize into specific forums, and that is what the General Forum is suppose to be for.
All newbies should have to read and acknowledge they've read this...short read saves alot of time.

Is it looked down upon to "resurrect" older threads? Especially if it appears they are kind of a ongoing type of thread? I was going to comment in the Anyone ever gotten lost out there? but the last reply is over 6 months ago. I guess I am only asking because I have seen people rip others for not using the Search function, which I realize is meant more for helping to reduce redundant threads.