Guiding

So back when I was in the suck (USMC), I read Dan Cherry's book So You Really Want To Be A Guide because that is what I wanted to do. It only scared me on one account, money.

Looking back I regret not doing it. I could care less about money but it sure does pay the bills. I am reading Billy Molls' book and am looking far back. I got out in '96 after 4 years in the grunts.

I wonder where I'd be if I had gone to Wasilla where my POC is.

How'd you guides start out? I now have a skill I can take everywhere, electrician. All is not lost.

You young guys go for it!

I'm going for it, that's always been my dream, my dad wanted to do the same but never did an he regrets it. My only problem is getting the money to get my own business. I can't live off of guiding alone and would prefer to be the owner and guide but money to get urself started is a bit tough

O it doesn't bother me when guys try an make fun of a guide, and my plan was horseback rides in off season, I'm also a full time OTR tire tech right now so I always have that to fall back on, I've been at that for 4 years and have done almost every tire there is out there from loaders to wheel barrows, I was a seasonal horseback guide for 7 yrs before that so I've got pretty extensive knowledge in the horse part of it. I understand some guys like their DIY that's how I hunt now and that's fine with me others prefer to pay someone to show hem where to go, and give pointers on hunting. I like bagging my animals and take a ton of pride in doing so, but also I've always taken a ton of pride in helping others that may not be able to put in the time needed for their hunt (scouting, gear, and knowledge). Being a guide for some is a way to be in the woods more and I am also that way I love the woods and wish I could jus live in them year round, but if I can do it then I will be getting paid to do A. Something I love doing B. Helping overs to do something that may be once in a lifetime C. Helping others to feed their families D. Making memories and friends that may last forever, I love hearing guys go back to the guide I worked for and telling stories about the hunts they had with me and all that. I like guys that DIY and I don't rag on them for doing that but I also don't rag on people that would rather pay someone for help. It would be like bashing a guy who does his own tires, because I get paid to put them on for people. Why work for the man and not like ur job when you can have a job that you love even if the pay can be low. I'm going for it as hard as I can an nobody would be able to talk me outa it, if I get it and can't hack it and make the money I need, then you fall back on what you know and just make it a hobby a few months a year. But I'm hoping I can go from a few months a year to year round in time, gotta have the drive for it and the heart

I was a waterfowl guide for a 3 years at a buddies outfit. it was awesome for the first year. waterfowl is a little different though because the season is so LONG. getting up at 3 am everyday to set decoys and sit in freezing water gets old at about the 70th straight day. you never actually get to hunt and the only time your gun goes off is to finish cripples. it is WORK. I could deal with lack of sleep, crazy hours and lack of really getting to hunt for yourself. but I couldn't get used to bad clients. wether they didn't want to go out in the cold, or thought anything short of limits was a waste of time, or just the complete lack of gun safety some of them had. my favorite part was working my dog. when she died I decided to give it up and start hunting for myself again. I have the utmost respect for any real guide, its just not for me. but given the chance in a few years I would make another run at it.

2rocky

WKR
My big hang up is that I would have a hard time guiding a hunter I did not respect (feel earned the right to shoot a nice animal). In my current job I advise people on their Agricultural operations, but they leave my office and I don't have to deal with them until our next meeting. I think when I can overcome that "selfishness" I could consider pursuing a guiding or outfitting career.

Waterfowl is insanes seasons, we waterfowl hunt up here where I'm at I don't think I could guide doing that part, I like win shooting to much to watch others do it, but I do have friends that have guided waterfowl and they love it. I wish I could hunt the entire season an move around like the pro guys do but can't afford that. It is all work but to me it's not work work it's a work I truly enjoy doing. And have had the archery to 4th season up every morning part of it crammed on my shoulders. Hanging out at the campfire with clients til 11 and then up at 3 to saddle horse while they slept til 4. But I loved every minute of it when I was doing it.

I may be old fashioned but I don't see where it is not anyone's right to decide who should and should not shoot a nice animal. The way I see it if joe blow bought the tag, pulled the trigger and did everything legally then I'd say it is his right to shoot a nice animal. From my understanding of ur post you are saying that just because he hired someone to provide services he doesn't deserve it? People I don't think deserve nice animals or animals at all in that matter are illegal hunters, or someone who takes an animal that was some how illegally obtained. So how many miles do I have to hike his year in order to "deserve" a nice animal? Is that how people are supposed to become deserving of a nice animal? Miles hiked? Or is it gear bought? That is pretty selfish, I'm only 25 and I believe I have quite a bit of respect for the outdoors I don't hunt for nice animals I hunt for the joys of being outdoors, the food I provide to my family and he memories made. I out in a lot of miles a year for my DIY hunts and at the end of the year if I have meat in my freezer I'm happy. I don't need a 200" buck or 380" bull on the wall, would I pass those up no. But to me and the way I was taught by my dad was a trophy is any animal that gave it's life to feed myself and my family. Any hunter that buys a tag, and pulls the trigger is just as deserving of an animal as anyone else that does the same. In the end we all paid the money, and pulled the trigger. I guess hunting is and has been for some time all about ego's and I understand that but an ego isnt going to put me higher on the list for a big animal, cause we all have the same chances at the se animal regardless of who we are. That's how I see hunting a time to make friends, memories and feed our families...guess I was taught about hunting a little different than some others were

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I may be old fashioned but I don't see where it is not anyone's right to decide who should and should not shoot a nice animal. The way I see it if joe blow bought the tag, pulled the trigger and did everything legally then I'd say it is his right to shoot a nice animal. From my understanding of ur post you are saying that just because he hired someone to provide services he doesn't deserve it? People I don't think deserve nice animals or animals at all in that matter are illegal hunters, or someone who takes an animal that was some how illegally obtained. So how many miles do I have to hike his year in order to "deserve" a nice animal? Is that how people are supposed to become deserving of a nice animal? Miles hiked? Or is it gear bought? That is pretty selfish, I'm only 25 and I believe I have quite a bit of respect for the outdoors I don't hunt for nice animals I hunt for the joys of being outdoors, the food I provide to my family and he memories made. I out in a lot of miles a year for my DIY hunts and at the end of the year if I have meat in my freezer I'm happy. I don't need a 200" buck or 380" bull on the wall, would I pass those up no. But to me and the way I was taught by my dad was a trophy is any animal that gave it's life to feed myself and my family. Any hunter that buys a tag, and pulls the trigger is just as deserving of an animal as anyone else that does the same. In the end we all paid the money, and pulled the trigger. I guess hunting is and has been for some time all about ego's and I understand that but an ego isnt going to put me higher on the list for a big animal, cause we all have the same chances at the se animal regardless of who we are. That's how I see hunting a time to make friends, memories and feed our families...guess I was taught about hunting a little different than some others were

I fully understand where you're coming from and agree on most points except where you don't think he has the right to say who's deserving. If he were guiding he absolutely has the right to choose who to do business with for whatever reason he chooses (even ruling them undeserving). Other than that I agree with the premise of your argument, let each hunter decide for themselves their own code of ethics to live and hunt by. Laws need to be in place but short of break them to each their own. In the same vain we each have the right to render judgement of methods on our own as well. I don't have to like what another hunter does or they me but in the end we each have to live with our own choices.

ColoradoV

WKR
I have been guiding as my full time job since 1992..

If you are talking only hunting yea it is a killer hard thing to do if you are on public land. Get hooked up with a outfit that either a. has limited outfitter permits in the area or b. has private ranches to hunt on. Once you have picked a outfit go to WMA https://www.wildmed.com/ or similar medical training business and get your WOFER OR wilderness EMT. These classes will put you one up on almost every guide out there and realistically there is no better training that being able to save your clients life in the backcountry. I have seen a broken femur 10 miles back, broken pelvis 7 miles out, and a heart attack where the client lived only after 45 min of cpr, 2 defib hits, and a heli ride. As a guide you have to know how to deal with many situations other than just what the drop is of a 300 wby mag at 500 yds is...

Also realize that there are a ton of ways to guide. Dont just look at hunting as it will get you through maybe 4-5 months of the year so you will have to guide other things or get another job. Fishing, Backcountry Ski trips, snowmobile, rafting, back backing, or canoe trips work for payckecks in the off months.

The way I also look at it is that and to use a analogy is that if you want to snowboard and think that a snowboard instructor is the way to go for a great job you are wrong.. Get a job working nights in a kitchen then snowboard all day. Or if you really want to hunt and not guide stick with the electrical thing in a area you want to hunt then spend your time hunting. As when you are a guide most of it is not hunting.

Good luck and if you do jump in with both feet and dont look back. While I have guided hunting trips as my uncle was a outfitter for 30+ years and had some great ranches and other private land to hunt on. I just will not guide hunting trips anymore as there are other guiding opportunities that are better with out the crazy hours or uber entitled clients. How I do it is fall hunting is my time and I dont work that month or two and hunt for myself/family. Winter is snowmobile trips 6-7 days a week in -20 deg below 0 weather long hours in the cold. This is from Dec - April. April and May I guide float fly fishing trips then June/July/Aug is pushing tourists in rafts, on 4-wheelers, or guiding backpacking trips. Again not for everyone but if you are going to be a guide dont just look at hunting as if you are going to guide full time there are ways to guide other than just hunting.

I also have bought a couple of my own outfits over the past 20 years and now work for myself - my brother and wife work for our businesses as well. While it is not a easy thing to do by any stretch in the end I find it super rewarding to show folks a safe good time in the hills. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

Jon Boy

WKR
I'm young and single and recently mastered the seasonal work tri-fecta. I'm working for the forest service on a trail crew for the summer until Oct. 1, then I have 3 weeks off before I head to elk camp and start guiding rifle elk hunts until the end of November. After that I go back to a high end guest ranch where I will be guiding activities for the winter, that ends the end of April and get another three weeks before I start up with the FS again. The best part of all of these jobs is having a free place to stay, which adds up quick. I also get a minimum of 6 weeks off a year during hunting seasons. The worst part is not having any real benefits. Its also nice because you dont get burned out on specific job.

This will be my first year guiding so I'm excited to say the least. Its nice that its only during rifle season so I will have all of archery to get it done. The ranch I will be guiding on is cow only and the outfitter is using it as a graduate program to train guides and move them up to bull hunts on other ranches. Bull guides make some pretty decent pay.

I'm living the dream, we will see how long it lasts.

May be ok for a footloose and fancy free guy, but most of the "older" guides I know, that do seasonal work year round, have no security in their older age.

They live paycheck to paycheck. They have little to nothing saved up.

I have often thought about this, but it won't become a reality until I retire in a few years. I plan on working for a larger outfit, definitely season work, but I will have a retirement check to fall back on or combine with my other income. My biggest fear is that I will end up making my hobby a chore and then lose interest, but we will see.

60x

WKR
I don't know much about lower 48 guiding but having been an Alaskan guide for a big part of my adult lift it certainly is not for everyone and not always what it seems to be. Some of my best times as well as worst were guiding. I'll write more when I get some time

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
Guiding in Alaska is a lot like aviation in Alaska. It seems really romantic and a great job until you do it. :D You have to really love it because you don't make any money and you give up all your own time to hunt (or fly). I always tell anyone who asks to get a high paying job with a lot of leave. Then you can hunt or fly on your own terms.

Last edited:

2rocky

WKR
I may be old fashioned but I don't see where it is not anyone's right to decide who should and should not shoot a nice animal. .... That's how I see hunting a time to make friends, memories and feed our families...guess I was taught about hunting a little different than some others were

Hey BAG tell me how you really feel. You have been doing the Summer gig for a while so I know you have had your share of less than perfect clients. When you have a hunter come in and proceed to get falling down drunk, or hit on your wife,or call your guides racial epithets, or abuse your stock it is tough to feel they deserve your best efforts. I've seen that happen in camps and I know I would not handle it well. Especially during hunting season. In the summer there isn't the pressure to "produce" like there is hunting.

In my post above I was honest about MY limitations...I also called it selfish...

boom

WKR
no way. i cant imagine a better way to ruin hunting. imagine your busiest season being the hunting season? youre the only guy not hunting! no thanks.

i rarely hire a guide, but when i do..i am thankful they are there and i tip accordingly. and i bring my A-game. no way, i let a guide down..if he does his part, i am sure as eff doing mine. those guys are saints! a great guide is a saint.

good luck to those that do it!!