Guiding

Guiding can have its benefits...I know guides that have a pretty well set client base of big money guys that treat them right. Took them many years to get to that point though....

Ding ding ding.......

If you could survive the first ten years or so and end up with a 100% return rate OF HUNTERS YOU INVITED TO RETURN then I think it would be a great way to earn a living.

I have a bunch of fishing friends that are guides. Those that have made it to the above have a great gig. Those that are wallowing on their way there have one of the crappiest jobs on the planet.

If only guides could fire clients :)

billy molls

Super Moderator
Been guiding in AK 21 years and Idaho 8 years, simultaneously. The only thing I'll add that hasn't already been said is that in order to enjoy guiding longterm you have to want to serve the people(clients). I love guiding more than hunting. A guide often gets the opportunity impact someone's life. When you spend 10-14 days alone with someone and show them genuine kindness and go out of your way to make their wilderness experience exceed expectations, there's nothing better... Sure, you get your P.I.T.A.'s, but most of my best friends are my clients. I know many of them better than I do some of my own family members... Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go collect cans in the ditch. I hear aluminum is up a penny. ;)

Kinda off topic.. But i have a question.. If you have a guide license/ are a licensed guide in one of the lower 48 can you hunt in Alaska without a guide?? Does the license transfer?? I have no clue so just curious

Even NR guides in Alaska have to hire a guide to hunt several of the species... no matter their experience. For instance, even Billy, with 21 years guiding in AK and more experience hunting up here than a vast majority of the residents would technically have to be guided for sheep, Brown/grizzly, and goats. Crazy to think of it that way. I know residents that should have to hire a guide 😂

HookUp

WKR
I have spend the last 10 years guiding fishing trips out of Washington and Oregon. The thing that takes the longest to figure out is the amount of money you make you will be very low for the amount of time you will put in. Lining up clients, shows, advertising, before and after prep. I have a wife and two young sons and a day job. My priorities have shifted to myself and my kids. Being on a hunt or fishing trip for someone else is simply not the same as doing it for yourself. Most guides are gone all the time and that becomes their life. The majority of fishing guides I know are divorced or single. Its not conducive to family and close relationships outside of the business. And no one is getting rich.

I would recommend starting your own brand and outdoor products or media comapny 10x over taking out clients. I admire what Cody Rich is doing with his podcast and now adding Patreon support, that is the way to have an outdoor industry job. Clients are short on time and high on money, that's where you come in long on time and short on money. If it is fulfilling go for it, but you wont accomplish a whole lot financially or hunt more. Most guides don't have time to hunt for themselves and that would be a travesty .

Conroy

WKR
My son was asking me how to even start as a guide. I told him I believe you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. He is 21 and not married, so I told him do it now if it's something you want to try. How did most of you start in guiding? What qualifications did you have?

bozeman

WKR
You will never convince me for a second that there is no $ in guiding or you wouldn't have so many people interested in becoming one nor would you have an outfitter on every corner...…...long hours, agreed, no $, sorry, not buying it.

Trial153

WKR
I would guide steelhead fishermen on days off during winters in college, back then I was pulling in 350 a guy a day plus tips. While I would have rather been waving my own fly rod it was way better way to earn some pocket money then a lot of other things.

I think the money is in the outfitting for the most part and guides are just scratching a living

Just like any profession, if you’re good at it the money will follow.
Expect your early learning years to be lean and make some friends a generation older then you. They’ve been where you’re going and they’re a wealth of knowledge.

I’m a full time professional trapper who started in the fur boom of the 70’s and adapted with the times to make a living.
I’m not rich but my roof doesn’t leak and I can eat all I want to. Raised my first born from 18 months to adulthood by myself. I remarried and still have 2 younger ones and my wife at home.
I love my life and job and wouldn’t change a thing.

I hope this motivates you to try.

billy molls

Super Moderator
You will never convince me for a second that there is no $ in guiding or you wouldn't have so many people interested in becoming one nor would you have an outfitter on every corner...…...long hours, agreed, no $, sorry, not buying it.
"Guiding" and "Outfitting" are different terms. Many outfitters make a good living, no doubt. "Guides" who work for them are typically paid a modest to slightly above average wages for a very short window of time each year. I can't think of one guide I know who doesn't make a majority of their income in another job/trade/profession, or travel around the world following various seasons.

Biggest difference is it is work, it is not hunting. If you enjoy the job, and it is generally hard long days, then it is great. If you think it is going to be the same as hunting, you will be disappointed pretty quick.

Even NR guides in Alaska have to hire a guide to hunt several of the species... no matter their experience. For instance, even Billy, with 21 years guiding in AK and more experience hunting up here than a vast majority of the residents would technically have to be guided for sheep, Brown/grizzly, and goats. Crazy to think of it that way. I know residents that should have to hire a guide 😂
Same in wy wilderness