Gulch Gear Inceptor Hat

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
First off, I'm a nobody with no ties to anyone. I just wanted to share a good piece of gear I came across.

I have a hot noggin and have always struggled with finding hats that keep it cool. I'm in the midwest so it's hot and humid in the summer. Early September elk hunting was fine, mostly because of the low humidity, but prepping for it here flat out sucks.

I bought an Inceptor hat for my dad and one for myself to try from Gulch Gear and the recent mid-90s highs and sticky humidity in the midwest has given me some really good feedback with them. I usually run mesh-backed trucker style hats but the front solid panels are so thick that the front of my head generates a bunch of sweat that soaks the brow and brim, then runs down my face.

This hat hardly seems to accumulate enough sweat to soak any part of it; it evaporates it away really quickly.

The lightweight Toray Dot-Air fabric has a grid pattern with tiny holes at the corner of every grid that allows the breeze to blow through. It works pretty darned good I must say.

Forgot to add one little qualm with it. Although it cools very well, the front two panels have a black backer. I'm going to inquire with Gulch to see if they can produce it with white backers for the front panels. While it's not much, I could tell the black backer does hold a little bit of heat.

The hat weighs in at 2.5oz on my kitchen scale, advertised at 2.3oz. Either way, it's super light and not too stiff either. They import the fabric but it's cut and sewn in the USA.

They also have boonies in the same fabric if that's your thing and I may end up with one of those too.
c7f8d33aa5f1520bbdca5317817e51f7.jpg
114bb4a58ba252c8219776a43bc5b1b8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Brian is also an awesome guy to deal with! He was able to put a pair of pants on hold for me while waiting for his new jacket to come out!

The made in USA, (just the Toray is imported) is what got me excited. Not to mention his completely transparent pricing model where you can see what every piece of material costs and how much the labor is.

Kostrize

WKR
Thanks for this. Kuiu used to have a Tiburon ball cap in this same fabric. Wish they still did. It’s good to see other companies using Toray materials- I really like the Dot Air

OP
I

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
Brian from Gulch responded that the reason for the black backing is to negate the UV signature of the adhesive used to attach the backing.

Can't argue that reasoning! Seems like they've got all the bases covered.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk