Gulo Stalking Shoes

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’m gonna give these new Gulo (means wolverine) stalking shoes a shot for stalking bucks this year. I’ve only worn in yard so far but can say “way better than socks!” I even sneaked up on the dog!! The boys at Gulo (@omni.warner & @wesleywarner ) were kind enough to give me a discount to try them. I’ll post up when I get some time in them. Anyone else running them?
d3f479d9fa29104f6802c0bfce68a1e6.jpg

4adbbd52053d30bb99c8ee4a651af66e.jpg

d98b110746210188a618b95ca1b11214.jpg

68942ff25a6f3162c4b4ea3eb760abea.jpg

fbe4092b3b35a9e86289e885664fc545.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@robby denning I wonder if there would be any advantage/disadvantage to a larger size going over your boot, rather than these replacing your boots for a stalk.

They’d be huge! But these are hand made so anything might be possible.

They are super light and packable. My size 10s are 10oz.

Reactions: ZDR
Great shearing slippers Robby.

They probably will work well. Just all I see is the shearing mocs out of them. They will hurt your feet before long if you are used to stiff soles, just using muscles you aren't used to.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great shearing slippers Robby.

They probably will work well. Just all I see is the shearing mocs out of them. They will hurt your feet before long if you are used to stiff soles, just using muscles you aren't used to.

Sure, but got to be better than the socks I’ve been wearing on stalks. They recommend putting your insoles in them for even more protection

How do they breathe? They look sweet but don't really fit my style of hunting. I'm usually archery still hunting in varied topography with light winds hoping to find the herd before they find me. Like the sneek tecs booties because they can go right over boots and I have more support thorn protection. These will be great for the guys looking for something for the final approach.

Just ordered a pair. Spent a few days still hunting in my socks last weekend and swore I would buy these as soon as I got home! As dry as it is this year, socks are have been the only way to see bucks in the thick stuff before they see me. Hoping these make it more comfortable to sneak around the thick stuff

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just ordered a pair. Spent a few days still hunting in my socks last weekend and swore I would buy these as soon as I got home! As dry as it is this year, socks are have been the only way to see bucks in the thick stuff before they see me. Hoping these make it more comfortable to sneak around the thick stuff

Let us know what you think when you get some time in them. I start using mine next week, hopefully

Let us know what you think when you get some time in them. I start using mine next week, hopefully

I put the gulo stalkers through the paces last fall and wanted to share my experiences with them and the company. I used them off and on for 5 different deer tags, rifle and archery, blacktail, mule deer, and a whitetail tag. Everything from AZ high desert to Colorado at 10,000 feet in November. Used them for final approaches and for some still hunting. First off they are expensive..but I will say worth it and unique in my opinion. They are deadly silent. I did not get any stickers or cacti through them, except for kicking one cactus that probably would have went through my Salomon’s. They are warm even when wet. I still hunted through wet, snowy aspens in November and had close encounters with deer that would not have happened with my boots on. The wool is very insulating and comfortable. They are not all that durable which is to be expected for the silent qualities. I ended up wearing holes in the soles…but I put some pretty extreme use on them with a lot of miles covered for long, multiple stalks and some still hunting. Gulo warrantied mine and sent me a brand new pair! I chatted with the owners while they were on a youth hunt in New Mexico, very good guys from what I can tell. I am more than happy to support their business. I would definitely purchase them again if needed.

This AZ buck was a 4 hour stalk through a combination of wet mud and very loud brush and rocks. I had to sneak past his herd of does with some of them within 30 yards and killed him at 40 yards. He’s not a big deer but it was heart pumping nonetheless! I am a happy gulo customer and will probably get my wife a pair for this fall. 4399F047-884E-471B-BAF1-3B0B67E65636.jpeg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I put the gulo stalkers through the paces last fall and wanted to share my experiences with them and the company. I used them off and on for 5 different deer tags, rifle and archery, blacktail, mule deer, and a whitetail tag. Everything from AZ high desert to Colorado at 10,000 feet in November. Used them for final approaches and for some still hunting. First off they are expensive..but I will say worth it and unique in my opinion. They are deadly silent. I did not get any stickers or cacti through them, except for kicking one cactus that probably would have went through my Salomon’s. They are warm even when wet. I still hunted through wet, snowy aspens in November and had close encounters with deer that would not have happened with my boots on. The wool is very insulating and comfortable. They are not all that durable which is to be expected for the silent qualities. I ended up wearing holes in the soles…but I put some pretty extreme use on them with a lot of miles covered for long, multiple stalks and some still hunting. Gulo warrantied mine and sent me a brand new pair! I chatted with the owners while they were on a youth hunt in New Mexico, very good guys from what I can tell. I am more than happy to support their business. I would definitely purchase them again if needed.

This AZ buck was a 4 hour stalk through a combination of wet mud and very loud brush and rocks. I had to sneak past his herd of does with some of them within 30 yards and killed him at 40 yards. He’s not a big deer but it was heart pumping nonetheless! I am a happy gulo customer and will probably get my wife a pair for this fall. View attachment 381427
great! (love the buck too). Thanks for the most thorough review yet.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
on mine, only got one day of use on them, maybe 300 yards in very steep country tracking that buck I wounded (he survived). Not enough to comment on anything but:

-they are quiet,
-they kept my foot in place well enough,
-and no pokeys got through.
-weren't slick on vegetation (the day was dry)

I did pull my inserts from my Hardscrabbles to add some more cushion for my aging feet.

Hope to use them more next year.