Gun Bearer vs Slik Sling

I have seen some great reviews on the Kifaru Gun Bearer on here, but have concerns that the forward facing barrel might be flashing my hunting partners as hiking. The Slik Sling dismisses this concern, but seems slightly harder to get into action compared to the gun bearer. Wondering if anyway can sway me one way or another for making a decision on one of these slings?

I bet you could configure either of those slings to put the barrel in front of or behind your shoulder. I have the Stone Glacier version (very similar to Slik Sling) and can put the barrel in either position even though the sling is advertised for behind-the-shoulder carry.

All of these slings are the same basic design: buttstock cradle suspended from hip belt and quick release strap around the forestock/barrel. If you want forward carry, shift the cradle forward and attach the QR strap to your shoulder strap. If you want rear carry, shift the cradle rearward and attach the QR strap somewhere higher and further back on the pack (carry handle, load lifter anchor, etc)

If you are leaning over puffing up a steep hill and your partners are waiting for you, you could be flagging them. It doesn't seem like a big deal to us as we don't carry a round in the chamber on the long walk in. that just how we roll and yes we may not get a shot off if we bump something.

OP
M
If you are leaning over puffing up a steep hill and your partners are waiting for you, you could be flagging them. It doesn't seem like a big deal to us as we don't carry a round in the chamber on the long walk in. that just how we roll and yes we may not get a shot off if we bump something.
I guess if I am not worried about getting a quick shot, then I would lean toward the slik sling so the rifle is out of the way. I feel like the gun bearer is a nice setup for a quick shot, but feel like the slik sling would be better if you are hiking a distance and aren't worried about shooting a bumped animal.

SonnyDay

WKR
I made my own gun bearer style sling when they were on back order. I haven’t had any real trouble just putting a hand on it when necessary to avoid flagging someone. If I was scrambling up something so steep that I didn’t have a free hand… I’d un-chamber the round anyhow. Love the concept… and would recommend that style for sure.

gggaff

FNG
It doesn't seem like a big deal to us as we don't carry a round in the chamber on the long walk in. that just how we roll and yes we may not get a shot off if we bump something.
We do the same and have always done so even before I started using the gun bearer.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yeah, no. Anybody that flags me and tells me not to worry about it is done hunting with me permanently.

Flagging someone with the gun bearer is an issue. I make sure I’m in front or I hold my hand on the barrel and push it out of the way.

Gun safety isn’t a joke. Gun safety isn’t something to explain away. Gun safety isn’t something to ignore.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
I still like my Slik Sling. And I can deploy my rifle pretty quick with it.

Kifaru gun bearer is great, has worked well for me, just be careful it doesn't rub off your synthetic gun stock

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
I took a chance on the Slik Sling recently and really like it for what it is. Basic parts, common sense design and oddly, more of an idea I had years and years ago ;p Anyway, a couple minutes to set up and I was wandering around the house. I did a mile on the treadmill with the rifle attached, down to the food plots, up hill both ways, and all good. That's a minor test but I found no issues with it. Trudging up mountains and through timber could be another world but I will put an older rifle in it and take it to the woods soon enough.

JDMotown

FNG
The gun bearer isn't going to make you muzzle swipe your friends; crappy muzzle awareness is. I've been using the gun bearer for years and your barrel is so vertical that the only way you'd swipe your friends is if they were climbing a cliff above you or something. Seriously a non-issue. Your muzzle is right in front of you, in your field of view, making full-time muzzle awareness an easier thing than other methods of carrying. Very safe system.

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
We all hunt with an empty chamber and a trigger pulled closed bolt. Never been an issue to chamber a round when an opportunity arises. Makes sure your bolt won't open accidentally as well - even on the rifles that don't have a lock the bolt down safety.

I've used both systems. I prefer the gun bearer myself. Easier to use and set up for me. Fewer straps everywhere. As has been said the rifle can be carried either way. I like the muzzle right in front of me as vertical as possible. Keeps the scope covered by my arm as well. Makes muzzle awareness easy peasy.

Behind the shoulder carry makes a lot of movement to get it out and ready. Out front can be done with a lot less movement and noise.

I have been looking at the stone glacier one. It seems like a good design as well. Almost got one to try this year.