Gun case recommendations for airport travel

Good morning. We are doing a pheasant hunt to South Dakota in November and it will require us to fly. I will be transporting two shotguns and was looking for some recommendations on hard gun cases which can be used on airlines. Any lock recommendations or other useful tips would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance,

Smokey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Netherman

WKR
I use a pelican 1750 with my name and phone number written on the case. I've heard that if they need to open your case and can't get a hold of you it stays behind.

For locks I use and would recommend a "set your own" combination lock. Can't lose the key and you could let TSA open over the phone if you couldn't get there in time (I'd push pretty hard to not do this). I use two of the master lock 178D and have been happy with them so far.

Inside the case I remove all the foam and have two rifles in soft cases with my clothes spread around for added padding. If I were buying the case again I would have got the cheaper no foam option.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ofl0926

WKR
I use a pelican 1750 with my name and phone number written on the case. I've heard that if they need to open your case and can't get a hold of you it stays behind.

For locks I use and would recommend a "set your own" combination lock. Can't lose the key and you could let TSA open over the phone if you couldn't get there in time (I'd push pretty hard to not do this). I use two of the master lock 178D and have been happy with them so far.

Inside the case I remove all the foam and have two rifles in soft cases with my clothes spread around for added padding. If I were buying the case again I would have got the cheaper no foam option.

I’ve heard of ppl doing this. Have you issues with you zero moved? Which rifle cases?

ofl0926

WKR

Do you have a picture of your set up

Pelican user here. I use the foam and cut out the middle piece for gun, ammo, and what ever else you want to fit in there. You can also buy extra foam, I use it to customize for my needs rifle, two rifles, rifle shotgun... you get the idea. Haven't had any zero problem. It's pricy but worth it, it's a beefy case.

I have a boyt/cabelas version, flown multiple times with it now and no issues. Check with your specific airline for rules, but the basics are: unloaded, ALL available locking sites with a NON TSA lock. Must lock on “both ends”

I have a boyt as well and no issues. Be sure to use a non TSA lock. Flew to South Africa from Dallas TX no problem.

Mosby

WKR
I used an old Cabela's aluminum case for years but someone bored a hole in it at the Spokane airport trying to steal my rifle. Southwest gave me a check for a new case. Bought a Pelican. I used combination locks for years but TSA was always asking to open the case for inspection, so I switched to keyed locks, so I could hand them the key. I kept a key on a lanyard around my neck. Easier then yelling out combination numbers and there is always an agent that struggled with the locks. Once they take the case they won't let you touch it. Don't put any cleaning fluids in the case with your guns and I always make sure the action is open. Also make sure ammo is not loose or in your vests and is secure in a hard case of some type.

Netherman

WKR
I’ve heard of ppl doing this. Have you issues with you zero moved? Which rifle cases?

I just use cheap soft cases (I think they are cheaper at tractor supply). They are also really nice when you get to your destination so you don't have to be in and out of a hard case.

I haven't had any zero shifting issues but have only done this on three trips.
e4b8f83293c5c4c6f6105c5dac8814b0.jpg

I've got one or the newer pelican Vaults - the double size. Has enough room for 2 rifles, 2 handguns, and ammo so me and hunting partner can get everything in one case going on AK trips. Lots of nice sturdy options out there.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've been using a Pelican 1750 for my rifles and shotguns. I never had a reason to cut my foam. I just remove the center section of foam and place my soft cased guns in the hard case. I've never put any clothes in my case.

For $125, the Pelican 1750 was a no brainer to me.

ofl0926

WKR
I've been using a Pelican 1750 for my rifles and shotguns. I never had a reason to cut my foam. I just remove the center section of foam and place my soft cased guns in the hard case. I've never put any clothes in my case.

For $125, the Pelican 1750 was a no brainer to me.

Which soft case are you using?

I have an older SKB case and a shorter Pelican for breakdown rifles and shotguns that can be broken down. My SKB is getting pretty old and metal parts are rusting so I would probably spring for a new Pelican if I needed to fly. I like the a pelican better.

ed2brute

FNG
I use an IM3300 Storm case, made by Pelican now. Great case. It’s very similar to the 1750. Going into the purchase I had no preference between the two. I found an overstock sale on the Storm and went with it. No regrets. I do like the Storms latches better and it’s a tiny bit lighter.

Werty

WKR
If it hasn't been said, TSA rules, any place that takes a lock, gets a lock. They wanted 5 lock on my case

SKB Golf bag case. Put the guns in soft cases and pack clothes around them to keep them from bouncing around. I picked up some foam to line it as well. You can pack 38lbs of guns/gear (the case is 18lbs) and it looks like you are a golfer. It has wheels and locks too. I got mine for $50 on craigslist. A sportube ski case works too, but this one works better for me.

Last edited: