Gun case recommendations for airport travel

Desk Jockey

SKB fan here. Have both the old school and the iseries.

Pelicans are fine but very heavy. Like 25# empty for a double rifle case. They have their place but for shotguns (no scope to worry about) I take my SKB every time. It is lighter and plenty of protection.

I like the golf club case idea. Had thought about picking up a guitar case. But that is an even better idea.

Bassman

I shot sporting clays at the collegiate level, Pelican and SKB were the gold standard when traveling. I personally ran the Pelican 1750, you can easily fit two shotguns in there + chokes.

I used the TSA combo locks and secured with zip ties to prevent the case from popping open. You would be surprised at how poor the quality is on those TSA locks (broke several opening the case not realizing they were on there), but I wouldn't recommend using non-TSA locks in the event that they need to open the case (previous poster mentioned this). They'll cut the zip tie if need be and reattach your locks

Last edited:

ofl0926

SKB Golf bag case. Put the guns in soft cases and pack clothes around them to keep them from bouncing around. I picked up some foam to line it as well. You can pack 38lbs of guns/gear (the case is 18lbs) and it looks like you are a golfer. It has wheels and locks too. I got mine for $50 on craigslist. A sportube ski case works too, but this one works better for me.

View attachment 116748
How is it going through security and showing your firearms when checking in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racer00

Another vote for Pelican 1750, Mine has made many trips. Cut the center foam with an electric knife after tracing around your gun/binos/ammo box/bipod/handgun/etc with a black sharpie. Looks professional and does a great job of protecting gear.

chippewawarrior

How is it going through security and showing your firearms when checking in?
I am just careful to pack it for safe access to the firearm(s). Position the guns so one can open the case and easily unzip the soft case(s). It doesn't take much to do. The object is to keep the guns from sliding/moving too much inside the hard case. I pack everything else in a Cabela's duffel bag to avoid clutter, and I use shipping foam to fill in any gaps if necessary. I have not experienced a scope zero issue. I also have not had an issue with security and I've flown somewhere every year for the last 10 years. I just make sure to print the specific airline policy and follow it accordingly. Half the time the gate agents don't fully understand their own policies. If there is some discrepancy, I simply show them my printout of their policy. Security has commented on the creativity. It also keeps bags to a minimum because if you use a dedicated "gun" case, there's not too much room for anything substantial beyond the guns. Although, if you remove the foam and use soft cases that may help with space. I found using this method that I can sometimes eliminate that extra checked bag and just travel with the case and a carry-on depending on the situation.

Last edited:

ofl0926

I am just careful to pack it for safe access to the firearm(s). Position the guns so one can open the case and easily unzip the soft case(s). It doesn't take much to do. The object is to keep the guns from sliding/moving too much inside the hard case. I pack everything else in a Cabela's duffel bag to avoid clutter, and I use shipping foam to fill in any gaps if necessary. I have not experienced a scope zero issue. I also have not had an issue with security and I've flown somewhere every year for the last 10 years. I just make sure to print the specific airline policy and follow it accordingly. Half the time the gate agents don't fully understand their own policies. If there is some discrepancy, I simply show them my printout of their policy. Security has commented on the creativity. It also keeps bags to a minimum because if you use a dedicated "gun" case, there's not too much room for anything substantial beyond the guns. Although, if you remove the foam and use soft cases that may help with space. I found using this method that I can sometimes eliminate that extra checked bag and just travel with the case and a carry-on depending on the situation.
I truly am considering this method. Seems like a great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TurboSportTSi

I use an SKB that is a bunkbed style, where the rifles are stacked on top of each other and separated by a foam panel. No pick and pluck generic shape cutouts, etc. All egg crate style foam. Nothing moves even a milimeter, whether there is one rifle or two in there. Built like a tank and has wheels. Looks like the golf version pictured earlier but just rectangular.

I'm also a big Pelican fan, but their cases are very heavy for something that is carried a bunch. The storm line is a bit lighter, as mentioned, and the latches are a million times better than the standard Pelican latch and are very durable.