Gun case recommendations for airport travel

SKB fan here. Have both the old school and the iseries.

Pelicans are fine but very heavy. Like 25# empty for a double rifle case. They have their place but for shotguns (no scope to worry about) I take my SKB every time. It is lighter and plenty of protection.

I like the golf club case idea. Had thought about picking up a guitar case. But that is an even better idea.

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
I shot sporting clays at the collegiate level, Pelican and SKB were the gold standard when traveling. I personally ran the Pelican 1750, you can easily fit two shotguns in there + chokes.

I used the TSA combo locks and secured with zip ties to prevent the case from popping open. You would be surprised at how poor the quality is on those TSA locks (broke several opening the case not realizing they were on there), but I wouldn't recommend using non-TSA locks in the event that they need to open the case (previous poster mentioned this). They'll cut the zip tie if need be and reattach your locks

Last edited:

ofl0926

WKR
SKB Golf bag case. Put the guns in soft cases and pack clothes around them to keep them from bouncing around. I picked up some foam to line it as well. You can pack 38lbs of guns/gear (the case is 18lbs) and it looks like you are a golfer. It has wheels and locks too. I got mine for $50 on craigslist. A sportube ski case works too, but this one works better for me.

View attachment 116748

How is it going through security and showing your firearms when checking in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racer00

FNG
Another vote for Pelican 1750, Mine has made many trips. Cut the center foam with an electric knife after tracing around your gun/binos/ammo box/bipod/handgun/etc with a black sharpie. Looks professional and does a great job of protecting gear.

How is it going through security and showing your firearms when checking in?

I am just careful to pack it for safe access to the firearm(s). Position the guns so one can open the case and easily unzip the soft case(s). It doesn't take much to do. The object is to keep the guns from sliding/moving too much inside the hard case. I pack everything else in a Cabela's duffel bag to avoid clutter, and I use shipping foam to fill in any gaps if necessary. I have not experienced a scope zero issue. I also have not had an issue with security and I've flown somewhere every year for the last 10 years. I just make sure to print the specific airline policy and follow it accordingly. Half the time the gate agents don't fully understand their own policies. If there is some discrepancy, I simply show them my printout of their policy. Security has commented on the creativity. It also keeps bags to a minimum because if you use a dedicated "gun" case, there's not too much room for anything substantial beyond the guns. Although, if you remove the foam and use soft cases that may help with space. I found using this method that I can sometimes eliminate that extra checked bag and just travel with the case and a carry-on depending on the situation.

Last edited:

ofl0926

WKR
I am just careful to pack it for safe access to the firearm(s). Position the guns so one can open the case and easily unzip the soft case(s). It doesn't take much to do. The object is to keep the guns from sliding/moving too much inside the hard case. I pack everything else in a Cabela's duffel bag to avoid clutter, and I use shipping foam to fill in any gaps if necessary. I have not experienced a scope zero issue. I also have not had an issue with security and I've flown somewhere every year for the last 10 years. I just make sure to print the specific airline policy and follow it accordingly. Half the time the gate agents don't fully understand their own policies. If there is some discrepancy, I simply show them my printout of their policy. Security has commented on the creativity. It also keeps bags to a minimum because if you use a dedicated "gun" case, there's not too much room for anything substantial beyond the guns. Although, if you remove the foam and use soft cases that may help with space. I found using this method that I can sometimes eliminate that extra checked bag and just travel with the case and a carry-on depending on the situation.

I truly am considering this method. Seems like a great idea.

I use an SKB that is a bunkbed style, where the rifles are stacked on top of each other and separated by a foam panel. No pick and pluck generic shape cutouts, etc. All egg crate style foam. Nothing moves even a milimeter, whether there is one rifle or two in there. Built like a tank and has wheels. Looks like the golf version pictured earlier but just rectangular.

I'm also a big Pelican fan, but their cases are very heavy for something that is carried a bunch. The storm line is a bit lighter, as mentioned, and the latches are a million times better than the standard Pelican latch and are very durable.

1234AveA

Lil-Rokslider
I use a pelican 1750 with my name and phone number written on the case. I've heard that if they need to open your case and can't get a hold of you it stays behind.

For locks I use and would recommend a "set your own" combination lock. Can't lose the key and you could let TSA open over the phone if you couldn't get there in time (I'd push pretty hard to not do this). I use two of the master lock 178D and have been happy with them so far.

Inside the case I remove all the foam and have two rifles in soft cases with my clothes spread around for added padding. If I were buying the case again I would have got the cheaper no foam option.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing!

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
Pelican 1750 here! Cut foam as others have said! It’s been around the world with me, no issues to date!

Bob6180

FNG
If OP is still looking, Midway has the Pelican for $188 when added to your cart. Also offering a shipping discount

ak max 83

FNG
I have an older Pelican double rifle case that’s seen good use. Sturdy construction and I preferred the latches over the Boyt/Cabelas brand.

Airlines post rules on transporting firearms. Firearms and ammunition travel separate. The firearm case shouldn’t be able to be pried open. Use non TSA variety that stout and can close tight.

See Airlines post rules on transporting firearms. Firearms and ammunition travel separate. The firearm case shouldn’t be able to be pried open. Use non TSA variety that stout and can close tight.

Read specific airline rules (helpful to print out and bring with you. Some allow ammo in case. Overall, it’s a fairly smooth process.

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
I've used both SKB and Pelican, and had no issues with either. The most important thing is to pack it properly so that there isn't any shifting around. Usually I'll pack some/most of my hunting clothes in the case as extra padding.

Again, make sure you use NON TSA locks. Straight from a TSA agent last year that I talked to, they said that they don't want anyone of their people to be able to unlock the case. You (as the owner) are to remain in possession of the keys. Usually they will have you open the case for inspection when you check it, and then you will lock it and send it on its way. Last year I only used two locks on a rather large SKB case, and they didn't have any issues with it on either of my trips, but I'll be adding two more locks just in case I get an agent who is having a bad morning and raises a stink about it. Also, I've had no issues traveling with the ammunition/firearm in the same case. Usually travel Delta if that makes a difference.

FWIW I've always packed ammo with the firearms and never had an issue. The ammo needs to be packaged correctly, namely being ina box intended for ammo.

For our annual AK trips we currently are using my double Pelican Vault case. Its a less expensive pelican but we like it. It weighs the same as the standard pelican (heavy), but is a few inches wider (and longer I think). Anyway, its big enough we get both scoped rifles, both handguns, ammo, and some other odds and ends, and fill in with some clothing for extra protection. Its worked well for us.

PA Hunter

WKR
Pelican case I just bought from Midway on sale about a month ago think it was the Storm model. Thing is awesome compared to my old aluminum case. Two different handles, waterproof gasket, foam is great, easy open latches. Thing is indestructible for the airline to ruin on you.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
+1 on SKB and to use non-TSA locks, and enough so that no one can pry open the case to pull anything out.

In my experience, he rules cited above are subject to exceptions - you may go to an airport that does not abide by the general rule that only you can open the case. Depending on the security setup at the airport, you may be forced to turn over your key, or give the combo, so that TSA can open and inspect the case outside of your presence. (Arguing the rule didn't work for me, as I got "sir, we are not set up for that, so you can either give me the key, or not fly with your firearm.") Not a big deal in hindsight, just know it might occur. Omaha and Charleston SC take this approach. Atlanta and Denver did not, at least when I flew Delta.

I would also take some extra locks. Several times I've had my locks "disappear" during transit after going through the check-in (including when I was in their presence). I've been told that the conveyor belts chew up anything that is hanging off of a piece of luggage, including locks. You can always wait and see and try to buy them if needed, but depending on where you are going, that may not be feasible before your return flight.