Gun cleanse to make things simpler.

Trees91

WKR
Anyone ever sell off the whole lot and buy just one or maybe two guns to simplify things? I know a big collection is fun, but sometimes I think making things more simple would be nice. I have a caliber for everything under the sun and usually only use a couple to hunt with every fall.
Really about three rifles is all I would need. 223 for varmints, a medium sized rifle for all North American big game and my 375 ruger for guiding bear hunts.

Question is, what would be the one gun to have for all North American big game? From antelope to moose and elk. 308, 30-06, 300wsm? I am intrigued by the new Proof elevation, but calibers are limited to 6 6.5 creed and 308. Fieldcraft would probably be a good choice, or build a custom.

Just hard to sell the whole lot of rifles and start fresh, but loading for one gun would be refreshing. Life is busy, baby on the way and everyone is always short on free time including me. Simple sounds good..

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
Possibly on the chopping block.
338wm custom
7mm08 mountain rifle
243 mountain rifle
300wm custom

And there’s quite a few more.

5EFEFDD5-4839-4D68-B5E7-3D2E5260456E.jpeg816FCF5C-CD07-4CDC-A211-735AC866758E.jpeg6B6952BF-2996-46FD-8CB3-591092861644.jpegDBBEAF52-2518-4228-94DC-DF700DE8B4FE.jpeg

Reactions: SPC

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
My usual policy is to only buy guns and never sell them :) BUT I've been thinking the same thing with a few of my pistols as of late.

As for your question I'd go to the 308 you mentioned. My one rifle answer is usual 30-06 or 308 for most hunting. I'm guessing there are some long range (or magnum) guys here who may prefer something different but every time I pull the trigger on my Old Trusty 30-06 there is a dead deer! By the looks of your rifles you may fall into the magnum category haha. Just pick the one you shoot the best out of the bunch and you are all set. Variety is the spice of life however!

Happy hunting out there.

Yeah did it years ago.
Sold 6 ish built a bad ar and suppressor.
Things dont get scratched as much ether.
1 gun Rbros Apex/carbon hunter 300 Whinny

ChrisAU

WKR
Yep, more for the economics of it. I ordered a 280 AI Cooper 92 a couple years ago with the serial number as my (very unique) last name. Now instead of buying 2-3 rifles a year and constantly growing my collection and selling some at a loss, I have what I have. Only other large centerfire I have is a Savage Stevens 270 that was the first gun I ever bought. Well a 300BO that I built but its not worth much and I consider it a varmint gun.

PantaRhei

FNG
I've been consolidating, little by little, and I'm more than likely going to stick with my Tikka T3 30-06 and PWS 5.56/223. That should pretty well cover most needs, although I keep wanting to try out a quarter bore (most likely 25-06 for case consistency for reloading). Consolidating makes sense economically, and it fosters proficiency by practicing more with fewer guns...BUT there is so much awesome stuff out there to try out!

Myronman3

Lil-Rokslider
280 AI is perfection. And if i were going to go the one rifle route, that would be high in the running. That, or a 300wsm (which i had ZERO use for until i shot one).

I’ve been on the edge of downsizing for quite a while now. Biggest problem i have is an emotional attachment to most the guns i have. I’d love to get down to 3 rifles....a 22lr, my big bore 44 and one bottleneck. 1 shotgun, and two pistols. I aint got the guts to Fully commit to it; but i have been trying.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
Emailed proof and asked if they were going to do the elevation in 300wsm, said no. But other calibers are on the way. So maybe wait and see what they come out with. That’s is if I decide to sell some stuff.

Yeah I did it and built a custom bolt rig. Since then I’ve built a few customs, bought a few more factory bolt guns and built a couple more ARs.

Might try it again, maybe 2nd times the charm.

I do have a few that I’ll never sell. Latest build is a 300 win since I’ve decided it’s the best hunting round for the world for my purposes. Just works.

RCB

WKR
IMO Between the 30 Cal options you mentioned, choose the largest cartridge you can shoot accurately given the recoil. All will do the big game you mentioned just fine, but bigger cartridge will shoot flatter. Personally I encourage you to sell and simplify. You needn’t sell all of them, but what’s the point in having 5 extra rifles you never use?

Rs3003

WKR
I like the 30.06 personally. I have thought about this same topic. I have a Browning ABolt Mountain TI 243 that maybe on the classifieds soon. I don’t reload so the 30.06 is easy to get ammo for.

Yeah I did it and built a custom bolt rig. Since then I’ve built a few customs, bought a few more factory bolt guns and built a couple more ARs.

Might try it again, maybe 2nd times the charm.

I’d for sure do this same thing😂

Bearded

FNG
I could do it all with my 30-06. But I really like my 6.5 Creed as well. Brown bears aren’t on the menu anywhere around here.

Trr15

WKR
You should definitely downsize...and then make me a deal I can’t refuse on that .338. seriously though, I know what you mean. I’ve had similar thoughts. Guns are just one of those things I have trouble letting go of. Honesty, I don’t think I’ve ever parted with one. Have way more than a guy needs at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
You should definitely downsize...and then make me a deal I can’t refuse on that .338. seriously though, I know what you mean. I’ve had similar thoughts. Guns are just one of those things I have trouble letting go of. Honesty, I don’t think I’ve ever parted with one. Have way more than a guy needs at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here, I get attached to them. Especially the ones I’ve hunted with a lot and taken game with. That 338 would probably be the first to go...letting my brother black bear hunt with it this September.

OXN939

WKR
280 AI is perfection. And if i were going to go the one rifle route, that would be high in the running. That, or a 300wsm (which i had ZERO use for until i shot one).

I’ve been on the edge of downsizing for quite a while now. Biggest problem i have is an emotional attachment to most the guns i have. I’d love to get down to 3 rifles....a 22lr, my big bore 44 and one bottleneck. 1 shotgun, and two pistols. I aint got the guts to Fully commit to it; but i have been trying.

I totally get the sentiment behind this, but I maintain a bit of a pack because of the "two is one" mentality. If I have a gear failure of any kind, be it mechanical or with the optic, it's nice to have at least one fully functional backup rig.

Sure, Tom Brady starts in the superbowl, but I'm about having a second string in case of an injury.

I feel your pain. I have thought about doing the same thing. The safe is full. I do hunt with three different rifles each year just because. I have confidence in all three. But then I think about every rifle I ever sold and wish I hadn’t. Some will be handed down because they were gifted or I inherited them. Some are collectibles. Awe heck, I think I will just hang on to them all! And might buy another or two.