Gun Cover/ Gun Sock when backpack hunting?

Anyone out there use a gun cover or gun sock to protect their gun while backpack hunting?

I never have used one. I just carry my gun, and keep the muzzle covered with a gun condom thing to keep dirt and rain and snow out of the muzzle.

Was watching some video of a solo hunter guy, and he always has his gun covered up with an elastic gun cover thingie.

Wondering if I should use a gun cover. Saw some on Amazon. Weight is under 5 ounces, and not too expensive.

However, I hate carrying extra weight, and I've not needed one before.

So, what do other folks do? Do you use a cover for your rifle?

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
I don't bother, my rifle rides in a gun bearer and if it's raining or snowing I've got scope caps that go on. That said I've got a Kifaru gun cover if I ever wanted to run one.

I always just carried my rifle in the open until late November last fall when the day started out with wet snow. As the day went on temps dropped until it hit -25 C. My action was froze solid shut when I pulled my rifle off my pack. Had I needed it I would have been out of luck. When I got home I bought some cordura and sewed up a cover. Not much field use yet but it's pretty basic. The cover is attached to the bag via the side straps and the rifle slides down and out without removing the pack.

631080b0b4b8b249a3cf563d887da42c_zpstxpiflci.jpg

cbeck36

Lil-Rokslider
I am using the solo hunter cover. I really like it. i don't know the weight or really care. It's an outstanding cover in inclement weather.

mt100gr.

WKR
When it's strapped to my pack, I cover my rifle with a "GunSlicker" from Alpine Innovations. When it's in my hands it's uncovered and ready. I also use the cover in camp so my rifle can be covered outside my tent and if i am glassing in ugly weather. It's a small weight penalty for peace of mind knowing my rifle will be clean and ready when I call it to action.

I did add a.simple shock cord keeper that wraps the excess material around the rifle and pretty much seals it from the elements.
I have experienced ice-up on my rifle that rendered it useless as well.

I was skeptical of the Solo cover, but used one last year and it worked extremely well. It was great for laying the rifle down in nasty rocks as well and kept it protected. I'll be taking mine again this season into the mountains.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
SSSSnake 529, looks like you are in UT...similar to CO I assume and probably pretty dry usually. Unless its one heck of a storm, I bet your muzzle tape and scope caps would be simple, effective and easy to deploy your rifle. I use that same approach and with a K gun bearer, its under my arm during carry which helps keep snow from accumulating on the action if it's really snowing hard. It's probably quite a bit different for the guys in wetter and colder climates that get freezing rain and lots of wet snow. I gun cover seems like overkill to me since we have it fairly easy and mild in CO & UT most years. I keep trying to simplify my kit and I'm tired of all the unused gear laying around that once seemed like a good idea. To each his own though.

mtntime

FNG
My main problem has been busting thru alders and rubbing off the bluing on my rifle barrel. To fix the bluing issue I dura-coated the weapon, but to keep it looking good, I purchased a hydration tube cover on line, they make them in a variety of colors and they slide on the barrel quite nice and snug. It's neoprene so water resistant and provides cushion when impacting branches. Cheap insurance, doesn't effect the use ability of the weapon and works well.

Cerakote and tape the muzzle is what I use. When's it's strapped to my pack I use a scope cover that also covers the action. I think it's made by a company in Montana.

boom

WKR
I have the solo hunter one. Is there a light version?
I dig it. You can flip the bipod legs down and set the rifle down in wet dirt. Rifle stays tented and dry.

Big_a_231

FNG
I have the Cabelas model. It offers plenty of protection as it is made entirely of thick neoprene, but is somewhat heavy. I haven't used the other models recommended on here but I'm sure they are lighter than the Cabelas offering as I'm sure it is 8-10oz. It fits very well on shorter rifles but was stretched to the max on my Tikka. If I were doing it over I would try out the Alpine Innovations Gun Slicker.